• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 컀뮀니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to keep original lower layer name when merge layers ?

Participant ,
Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

CS6

there was a time when by selecting layers to be merged in a certain order you could tell pshop what layer had to be the one with the name after merge,

now if you have an intelligent later name such as uses colour 53 with hsl 0 -5 -21 makes colour 53a, and you type something on that layer such as 'this might be better'

and merge the two, the new layer resulting is called 'this might be better' and so the intelligent name is lost.

or it may simply be that you have a named layer then create a few more each with some artwork on it, merge them and end up with layer9, intelligent name lost.

I wish that ability that adobe removed , could be reinstated.

I seem to recall it was last layer selected was one that held the resulting name..or maybe first one selected !

Merlin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2019 Jan 12, 2019

If in your case you have just two layers then the following applies:

1. Select the top layer and use Merge Down (Cmd or Ctrl+E) then the bottom layer name is retained.

2. Select both layers and use Merge Layers (Cmd or Ctrl+E) then the top layer name is retained.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall being able to name the layer when merging. I believe it's the top layer's name that remains. It would be better if it were the bottom, as most often, I merge some adjustment layer down. No way that I know of to change this, other than making sure the top layer name is what you want the new merged layer to be called.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chuck, I asked the same question a few years back, and I think it was c.pfaffenbichler who came up with an answer, but I am buggered if I can remember what it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go.

Merge two layers keeping lower layer's name?

You responded in that thread Chuck, so you  might need to reset your head preferences

Basically, you only select the upper thread before using the  Ctrl E shortcut.  It only merges down the one layer, but you can repeat the shortcut to continue merging down each time keeping the name of the next layer down the stack.   I'll try and remember for next time it's asked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're mentioning it, Trevor, did ring a bell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is for merge layers/down (CMD/CTRL E)
  But what about merge visible (CMD/CTRL SHIFT E)?

Then the selected/highlighted layer is the merged name.

If multiple visible layers are selected, then the upper selected layer will be the layer name, even if there are layers above that are not selected/highlighted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen_A_Marsh  wrote

If multiple visible layers are selected, then the upper selected layer will be the layer name, even if there are layers above that are not selected/highlighted!

That's useful Stephen.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks,

there are occasions I need to merge just two, or three and they sit one above the other abutted . so if I remember I hold ctrl e and click upper, then again and so on working upwards I retain the bottom name.

if I have other layers between them, either bring them together then do this, but if that means one ends up being given a layer adjustment that it was sitting above before, then I need to maybe work my way upwards.

As most of the time we add bits and pieces above a layer, it would make more sense to retain the bottom layer name. To code Pshop so that is is lost is wrong, there was a time it existed, I go back to pshop 4 days !  I remember the day upgrading and there it was gone, because a coder didnt use pshop but did coding. Other things were lost as well, forum posts followed and they get reintroduced, but this is one thing that never was fixed.

How do I get Adobe to see this and fix it at long last ? or have it as an option in prefs.

At the moment if I have various layers selected I have to unselect, copy the name to clipboard, reselect, merge layers then paste name back into the layer !  Anyone wishing to reinstate the top layer name can do that if Adobe were to switch over the order of name save, but most of us would be better off.

Merlin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get Adobe to see this and fix it at long last ? or have it as an option in prefs.

Photoshop | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Otherwise scripting may be the only answer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If in your case you have just two layers then the following applies:

1. Select the top layer and use Merge Down (Cmd or Ctrl+E) then the bottom layer name is retained.

2. Select both layers and use Merge Layers (Cmd or Ctrl+E) then the top layer name is retained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not bad Jeff, but there are very often many adjustment layers we are merging down to our pixel layer, which is the layer that matters most. I can't think of a time when I would rather have kept the top layer name. Couldn't it always just keep the name from the bottom layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2019 Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi

Jeff is a volunteer Adobe Community Professional and none of us who are users can make that change. You can make a feature request to the engineers here:Adobe Photoshop Family

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines