• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Open an AVIF File in Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden images i use to drag from a browser to the desktop are no longer .jpg, rather they are .avif files and i can not get Photoshop to open them. Is this something Adobe is aware of and will they fix this in the next upgrade? Since its now an industry standard, Photoshop is behind the times...

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download a plugin to support this.

From AVIF site:

https://avif.io/blog/tutorials/photoshop/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, thank you! Will Adobe incorporate this into future releases?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, on my mac using Safari its a .webp file, & on chrome, a .avif file and that plug in is for Windows, so what do Mac users use?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are plugins for WEBP too, a more popular format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the current version (23.5.1) you should not need a plug in to open webp. It is directly supported

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, yes it did open the .webp! When i drag an image from opensea.io in safari its a .webp, in Chrome its the .avif, so for now i'll use Safari until photoshop can also open the .avif, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,... after updating to version (23.5.1) photoshop still will not open AVIF files in my experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave was referring to webP not AVIF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Kevin, the plug-in is for Windows, is there any solution for mac user ?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a number of AVIF converters available for Mac.

I personally have not used this, but it has good reviews.

Filestar 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are other conversion tools online: https://convertio.co/ and https://cloudconvert.com/ both work well. But this is not an adequate excuse for lack of support in the Adobe suite. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, its not supported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and how about the .avif?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@tudoeraldo see above - AVIF currently requires a third party plugin or converter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says on Github in the readme.

• Close your host application.
  • Place Av1Image.8bi in the folder that your host application searches for file format plug-ins.
  • Restart your host application.

well, I downloaded the zip file but there is no file inside with that name. I tried just putting the whole unzipped file in my plugins folder but it still didn't work. Half the time I get a link to github I just don't bother because I just never understand what I'm supposed to do with these files. Nothing makes sense! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced the same thing. And I agree with you most of the time on github the instructions are made for app developpers, not for users !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I found it. If you are still stuck, there is a block "releases" on the right site of the github plugin page. You click on it and then under "assets" you choose the one corresponding to your operating system (mine was x64). Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's a bit vague and just made me waste a lot of time. Don't worry. I think I'll live without it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2023 Apr 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - I was just as lost trying to find the file from github. Your comment helped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to install just follow this: 

Installation in Specific Hosts

Photoshop

Photoshop CC common install folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-ins\CC
Version-specific install folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop [version]\Plug-ins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here we go again, the only time I ever type anything on this forum is when I have to complain about software I pay a tidy amount of money for each and every month, that can't do the most basic of tasks, in this case it won't open .AVIF files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But weirdly I can just open it in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this problem with avif-Files on Mac also with photoshop. But it can be opened in Bridge !? Why? I don't understand this. I Hope there will be a solution also for Photoshop Mac Users. I do not like to use a separate converting tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davescm the answer you gave is not true. I am currently running 23.5.1 and Photoshop will not open the file. I haven't updated Photoshop further because I'm in college classes that require us to use the apps. They don't update their apps but perhaps once or twice a year, and if I get ahead of them I cannot do my work on both their machine and my own (and their machine is what matters as they are the graders). They don't update as frequently because they have to take precautions and make sure releases are stable or won't brick their $2k Mac desktops in the lab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines