• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Install ICO format/plugin in photoshop CC 2014?

New Here ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

How do I install ico format in photoshop CC, windows 8.1 64bit.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 08, 2015 Aug 08, 2015

To anyone that stumbles onto this post I would like to assure you that the ICOFormat plugin is alive and kickin and works well within CC, you need to create a folder ( if its not there already ) called "File Formats" inside of your C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CC 2015\Plug-Ins\File Formats <----- drop the plug-in inside this folder

Just go the site - Telegraphics - Free plugins for Photoshop & Illustrator...and other software scroll down

Telegraphics.com Image.jpg

I doubt anyone needs this but here is a link illustratin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2014 Jun 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Telegraphics.com plug-in (ICOFOrmat.8bi) does not work in Photoshop CC as of Jun-2014.

WORKAROUND:

The workaround is to save the images as PNG (16x16, 32x32, 48x48 and 64x64), then convert them at

http://www.convertico.com/

IcoBundle

You may want to combine those icons, so it will scale gracefully in File Explorer.

To combine those ico files, use ICOBundle (download from http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/product/ICOBundle)
The syntax to combine the icons is:
icobundl.exe -o <output file> <input files separated with spaces> -

For example:
icobundl -o test.ico test16.ico test32.ico test48.ico test64.ico

Enjoy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry but from a 2 Kilobytes PNg file, the converticoCOM Site produces a 100 Kilobytes Icon! To big for such a small item... Not good for page speed. It needs to be produced well because it's probably not gonna be optimized / touched in a long time..
I used https://convertio.co/de/png-ico/ produces files around 10-15 kb or smaller depending on your PNG Icon size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2015 Aug 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone that stumbles onto this post I would like to assure you that the ICOFormat plugin is alive and kickin and works well within CC, you need to create a folder ( if its not there already ) called "File Formats" inside of your C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CC 2015\Plug-Ins\File Formats <----- drop the plug-in inside this folder

Just go the site - Telegraphics - Free plugins for Photoshop & Illustrator...and other software scroll down

Telegraphics.com Image.jpg

I doubt anyone needs this but here is a link illustrating the install procedure    How to Save a Favicon in Photoshop CC - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2015 Dec 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you only mentioned how this can be done for Windows users. What will be the way(file path) for Mac users? Should we create the same File Formats folder in the Plug-ins folder of Photoshop CC located in Applications? I already tried that and it didn't work. Any help is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easy: Hard Drive/Applications/[Photoshop version]/Plug-ins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to use the correct capitalization. If it still does not work, the plugin might not be compatible with the latest version on Mac: the page does mention that the ICO plugin is compatible with ALL version of Photoshop for WIndows, but up to CS6 for Macs.

There is always iConvert icons

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ICO (Windows Icon) Format plugin for Mac CS5/CS6 seems to work here with photoshop cc 2015 on Mac OS X 10.11.2

I just opened the downloaded dmg file and dragged the ICOFormat plugin to /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2015/Plug-ins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this work with 2018?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed the old ICOFormat plugin, straight into the /Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2018/Plug-ins folder, and it works fine in CC 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2020 May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, JohnnyBob1970
Why is this so complicated, Adobe? 
I just added .ico and .webp. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2019 Feb 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This

ICO (Windows Icon) file format plugin for Photoshop

is working in Photoshop cc 2019; however, it only supports 256x256; the ICO file format option when saving your file will only appear when your image size is 256x256 pixels or lower

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pepe lameira: It is normal for icons to be 256x256 and smaller. The Windows standard is actually 32x32.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here comes another confirmation.
The plugin works smoothly on Photoshop 2021.

Just drop the plugin file in your PS plugin folder and keep in mind the max. 256x256 file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi there, I just did that but a window pump up , somthing about telegraphics, do you know where I can download the Ico plugin? or maybe is just because of the size?

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Go to the site Telegraphics scroll down to ICO Format then, on the right select either 32bit, 64bit, ot Mac depending on your PC
  2. Go to your Photoshop CC install ~ [Drive Letter]:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Plug-ins\
  3. Creat a new folder named File Formats place the file ICOFormat_.8bi into that folder then restart Photoshop CC.

* Remember that it will only show up in the Save As menu if it is 256x256 and smaller. 

** This also adds .cur format as well, so you can make cursors in Ps CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed description.
I have the plugin installed but it's always good to have some backup info handy. Especially when youlike me and tend to forget stuff like that once everything seems to work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are very welcome. Glad to be of assistance,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of today, July 30 2021, Adobe has decided to brick all external plug ins and put in place a in app market place. 

Making amazing plug ins from Telegraphics unuable. Which is a shame since I have been using them for years only to have adobe thanos it away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as i know, adobe has not "bricked" third party plugins.

If you have, for example, an M1 processor mac it may seem that is the case, but in reality third party plugin makers need to compile the plugins and meet the quarantine requirements to work on M1 macs just as they did when apple switched to Intel processors from PowerPC processors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As of today, July 30 2021, Adobe has decided to brick all external plug ins and put in place a in app market place." 

Please provide a link to where Adobe announce this? (Or something else to support this bad news).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you JohnnyBob1970

for your clear and comprehensive answer - youre a Prince!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im glad this worked out for you, and I guess it still works in 2022 eh? I have not tried yet as I have stopped Web dev and switched to tattoo artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2022 May 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am A.K.A JohnnyBob1970

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of October 2022 on Photoshop CC on M1 Mac 12.2 it is working. Just to make sure the max image size is 256x256 and launch the Photoshop using Rosetta by right clicking Photoshop > Get Info and checking "Open using Rosetta".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines