• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error - Insufficient VRAM in Photoshop

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, after recently upgrading to Photoshop 2022 (23.0.0), upon launching I'm getting the following message:

Your graphics processor is incompatible

• Insufficient VRAM: (1073 MB of 1500 MB required)
  • OpenGL available
  • OpenCL available
  • Metal available

GPU Detected: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (NVIDIA)

My question is, How will this affect the performance of Photoshop on my iMac?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2021 Oct 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue and have followed the link above. The advice is to check the 'use graphics processor' box is checked in PS preferences. However that option is greyed out so it can't be checked. Any thoughts on where to go from here would be much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue and have followed the link above. The advice is to check the 'use graphics processor' box is checked in PS preferences. However that option is greyed out so it can't be checked. Any thoughts on where to go from here would be much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here...I have the same issue and the Graphic Processcor Setting is all grayed out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Were you able to resolve the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, with each subsequent update, Photoshop uses the GPU more and more and the minimum requirements for the GPU are increasing accordingly. 

I would also recommend to check if the display driver has an update available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PECourtejoie, I know you are trying to be helpful, but a software update cannot change the amount of physical VRAM available to the graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, It is the requirements in vRAM and GPU power that are increasing, and a driver will not increase its amount, of course.

That said, it might help fix other issues, (we sometimes see users with drivers many years behind...)

Also, re-reading the OP, in this case, the drivers are included in the operating system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then Adobe should reduce what they charge people for the product on a monthly bill cycle. If you cant use the latest features, what is the point of the update now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I update the display driver I experience terrible lag. It becomes impossible to do anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've uninstalled PS 2022 and reverted back to PS 2021. No more issues. Turn off automatic updates!

You can do this from your CC account - there's a list of all your installed apps and you can select other versions from the drop-down on the right 🙂 Hope this helps... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

another brilliant downfall of CC -- cannot stand it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What kind of computer do you run? Laptop? Desktop? Mac? PC?
If you are using a laptop, the integrated card will most likely be already in use resulting in a greyed out field due to there being no other option detected by the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have downgraded back to PS2021. For the work I do this is more than capable. The extra bells & whistles in PS2022 are worth the expense of replacing my graphics 

card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I reverted back to PS 2021 and it resolved my issues too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too! Downgraded to v22.0, voilá

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The menu shows OpenGL available, how do i enable it? after updated, i can't rotate my canvas anymore........  

thank you

Screenshot 2021-10-29 at 9.08.23 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simple. Newer versions of Premiere Pro require far more VRAM than older versions just to even enable GPU acceleration at all. Your updated version now requires 1.5 GB of free, unused VRAM just for GPU acceleration to be enabled at all. Your GPU simply does not have enough VRAM to even use acceleration at all. And there is absolutely no way whatsoever around that.

In other words, you're stuck permanently with software-only rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ RjL190365 this thread is about Photoshop not Premiere Pro.

If the GPU does not meet the specs then some functionality will not work. More and more core functions are being moved onto the GPU going forward. Old openGL/CL functions are being rewritten to use DirectX and Metal, driven by the deprecation of the older GPU functions in new operating systems.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bad. Why did I type Premiere Pro when I meant Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, but regardless, it is Adobe Photoshop that should verify if my computer has everything necessary for the proper functioning of the new upgrade, if not, ask if I still want to install the new update. Do they expect you to buy a new computer every time they have a new idea or every time their suppliers offer them money to install their products?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a lot to say about this topic – I will try and lay everything out in a straightforward manner.

Photoshop’s minimum GPU requirements are listed here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html

(the page is slightly out of date – it lists 2GB as the required VRAM, in fact we only require 1.5GB)

Roughly speaking, the phrases “DirectX 12 support“ and “Metal Support” mean “less than 7 years old”. It’s not an exact match, but any GPU that is 7 years old is usually low performance and does not run Photoshop well.

Our minimum requirements have not changed in a couple of years, however, two years ago we did not explicitly confirm that the GPU met our minimum requirements – we just attempted to use it anyway. About a year ago we saw an increase in the number of problems on GPUs which did not meet our minimum requirements – as mentioned above, we are making more and more use of the GPU, that means we rely on having a compatible GPU.

About six months ago we shipped a version of Photoshop that checked for GPU compatibility at startup, and disabled the GPU if it did not meet our minimum requirements. This happened without specifically informing the user that it had been disabled. You could go into the preferences and see that the GPU was turned off, or dig through the arcane details of System Info, but the information was not available to users in a convenient form.

With the most recent release, we added the GPU compatibility dialog to inform users when we were disabling their GPU. The dialog does not change the usage of the GPU compared to the previous release – it just lets you know that we are not using the GPU.

To go back to the original question, the GPU has less than the required amount of VRAM, hence it will not be used. Additionally, the GPU is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M which dates from 2013 – hence outside our support dates.

Photoshop will run without a GPU, however many features will be slower, and a few advanced features will be unavailable.

I want to say a word about drivers. Drivers are bundled with MacOS so my driver comments do not apply to Mac. Also, as pointed out above, updating drivers will not fix the lack of RAM on a GPU – the only solution to lack of RAM is purchasing an improved GPU (not trivial or cheap at the moment unfortunately).

Having said that, when it comes to GPU problems on Windows, old drivers are the leading cause of problems. Those of you familiar with the IT Crowd will know the mantra “have you tried turning it off and on again?” The GPU version of that is “have you tried updating your drivers?” If your machine is running without problems, don’t touch the drivers – “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. However, if you are having problems that are GPU related, the first thing to do is update your drivers. NVIDIA and AMD both have software that will detect your current drivers and update to new ones. Their update software also has the option for a “clean install” – we recommend doing a clean install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines