• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error - Insufficient VRAM in Photoshop

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, after recently upgrading to Photoshop 2022 (23.0.0), upon launching I'm getting the following message:

Your graphics processor is incompatible

• Insufficient VRAM: (1073 MB of 1500 MB required)
  • OpenGL available
  • OpenCL available
  • Metal available

GPU Detected: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M (NVIDIA)

My question is, How will this affect the performance of Photoshop on my iMac?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clear explanation... Simple and to the point, Bob, this should be in a blog post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue once I installed photoshop 2022, so I'm just have to revert back to the older photoshop untill i can aford a new Mac I guess!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you revert back to the older versions of photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, you can only roll back to version 22.0 (the "2021" version) for Photoshop. Nothing older than that. Adobe had officially restricted older version availability to the previous year's major version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you revert back to the older versions of photoshop?

By @Rachel21967076ao1z

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way is to go into adobe creative cloud > all apps and next to
the latest version of Photoshop click on the three dots and select "other
versions" from the drop-down menu.

--
Gunter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue.

My GPU is an NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1 GB

And I'm sorry Bob, but Photoshop is now unusable for me .. it's not the use of new features that is an issue .. it's even basic things like starting the program and opening a 300kb jpg file.

I've been battling for the past hour to use the program having to Force Quit on five occasions now. Each restart gets me a little closer.

Finally, when I got the file loaded I made the changes I needed in around 30 seconds, exported and closed.

As Photoshop and Acrobat are pretty much the only reason I subscribe to the package I think it's time to look at alternatives as this is certainly not a productive solution to my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brett23096479svzd are you saying it's slow because the GPU is disabled? It's hard to tell what state you're currently in. NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1 GB definitely doesn't meet our current system requirements - but Photoshop shouldn't be crazy slow to save files just because the GPU is disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's disabled, that's why I replied on this thread as it matched the error message I get when I start the program.

It never used to be this slow and when it is loading it affects all other programs I am trying to use.

It's not slow saving files .. it's slow to update .. like 30 minutes .. then it takes forever to load, only after force quitting a number of times can I get it to load.

Once I eventually get it started and then open a file (probably an hour of a job after updating) I can perform actions quickly (although it leaves artifacts on the screen once I've finished using a tool) and can save or export quickly too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please can you tell me what is going on

wahala.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue adding, my 2013 Macbook Pro has MORE VRAM than the 1500MB uggested by the prompt!!

Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 1536 MB

Of course "Dynamic, Max" is usually a computer engineering sales term for "not really."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel HD Graphics 4000 actually has no dedicated VRAM but instead shares system RAM memory and uses some of that as virtual VRAM hence the "Dynamic, Max" label - the VRAM is not dedicated to the GPU, it is allocated dynamically up to a maximum of 1500MB but it cannot allocate to that level if it is being used by the system elswhere.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on an old NVIDIA Quadro 2000 card that was perfectly fine and dandy with PS2021 but PS2022 is really not happy with it. Only after the recent update does it now tell me officially that the GPU is not supported. No bother, I'll just continue to use PS2021 as for what I use PS for this is fine. Can't afford to update the card or the computer which is otherwise running great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Quadro 2000 does support Direct X 12 but does not have the required VRAM for the current version. As Adobe's BobArcher explained more and more core functionality is being moved to the GPU which is good as it can speed up the processing of the large images that are common these days. The downside is that with more demands on a GPU, some older GPUs will not be able to handle the increased requirements. So as you say your choice is to stick with an older version of Photoshop, or run the latest with the GPU disabled. You can of course install more than one major version on a single system and use them as appropriate.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please dont talk down to people. We all understand the problem. 

The issue is what you do about it. You charge people every month for the latest version, and therefore we all expect to use the latest version.

Now, if we had a purchased product we could expect to have to pay to upgrade, and that would be our choice, but what youve done is upgrade the product, expect us to keep paying but not be able to use the full functionality without changing our hardware. Yes, we can do it not using the GPU, fine, so stop telling us every time we load it.

I only really want Lightroom, and yet I'm forced to pay for another product that I just about never use. Add into the mix the lack of decent profiles for Canon, its probably time to find something else to use

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Please dont talk down to people. We all understand the problem.....The issue is what you do about it....."

I don't talk down to anyone, nor do I change the software. I am not an Adobe employee. The fact is that many who visit this forum do not understand why something is happening, although some of course do, but the thread can be read by people at all levels of knowledge which is why we try and explain why.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounded like talking down to people, telling them they need need new hardware, and repeating things that we've seen posted over and over again.

Look its very simple. Adobe can change their libraries so they make less use of the GPU when there is insufficient memory on the machine - they should not be telling people to upgrade, just to save them the effort of coding around things, or continually putting a message up that we cannot acknowledge and close permanently. I've been a developer all my life - thats the purpose of a library, to make it easier to handle different levels of hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2021 Dec 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Therein lies the problem. Either you have everything enabled all at once or have everything turned off completely (or disabled). Having other modes will drive up the cost of the software significantly, to the point where the Photography Plan would no longer cost $10 per month - but closer to $30 to $40 per month. That's not what we want to pay (on a subscription basis) for just single-purpose software.

And I was trying to take the middle ground in this dispute: Yes, you can run Photoshop with a GPU that has an insufficient amount of VRAM. However, you cannot use any effects or filters that require more VRAM. And if your GPU has less VRAM than the minimum that's required just to even enable GPU acceleration at all, then GPU acceleration will be disabled, which means that you cannot use any filters that require GPU acceleration at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I re-read @davescm's post and they were professional and to the point. He even gave the best advice on one's options. I did not read any talking down or condescending content. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed Photoshop Version 22.0  (from creative cloud) fixed the the problem now everything works perfect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

22.3.0 is the last version now works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the Heads-up!

@J453 FYI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on my late 2012 iMac. I still use PS just fine. Some things don't work - but I only use them to teach, not in real life, like perspective warp. I get lots of screen artifacts - the healing brush likes to leave dark gray spots. I just hold space bar and move with the hand tool a tiny bit and they go away. Bounding boxes, control boxes don't show up or go away, I do the same. The space bar is your friend. I have a 2020 Macbook Pro and I haven't had to stop what I'm doing on my old iMac and switch, yet. My old iMac is starting to show it's age but I like my set up and don't want to spend the time an money to get the Macbook pro set up with 2 external monitors. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Online Courses Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They've done something similar now with Premiere -- the playback processor does not work with the timeline -- which makes it an absolutely useless software. I have never hated a softward package more than creative cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines