Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem:

Components:

Processor: Intel i7 7820x

MB - MSI SLI PLUS x299

RAM - 32 GB 4*8 GB HyperX HX428C14SB2K4/32

SSD 1 -  SAMSUNG MZVPW256HEGL-000H1 (256 GB, PCI-E 3.0 x4) (System)

SSD 2 - OCZ-VECTOR (SATA-III)

HDD - ST2000DL001-9VT156 (1863 GB) (SEAGATE)

Video Adapter - NVIDIA Quadro K620 (2 GB)

Computer crashes when I'm using Adobe programs. But I have noticed that only in Bridge CC, Photoshop CC and After Effects CC.  I used the latest version of the programs but I have checked in several previous Adobe CC versions and the problem was repeating. Only Photoshop CS 6 and Bridge CS 6 works fine.

Adobe Illustrator, Lightroom, Premiere also works fine.

There are no problem with programs like Aida64, Prime95, Cinebench R15.038,  Affinity Photo.

At first I thought that the problem is caused by graphic card NVidia Quadro k620 but I had disabled Graphics Processor functions in Adobe programs and still this programs were crashing. By the way I used this card before in another platform and everything worked fine.

Next step, I enabled Safe Mode in Windows 10 (64 bit) and crashes stopped. I’ve discovered that driver Turbo Boost Max 3.0 in Safe Mode is off.

I’ve decided to uncheck “enable” function in Turbo Boost Max 3.0 program but Adobe (PS, Br, AE)  programs still are crashing.

I've turn off Intel Turbo Boost 3.0 and it’s driver (I've disabled services and AutoStart).  Adobe programs still crashes.

I've decided to disable Turbo Boost in BIOS and then Adobe programs stopped Crashes.

I’ve reinstalled System in SSD 1 and SSD 2,  used each memory separately, Changing BIOS - nothing changes.

Just turning off Turbo Boost in BIOS gives an effect

Intel support suggested that is a  Adobe programs problem.

Is there any solution Turbo Boost compatybility on I7 7820x ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I´m still having this issue. I´m using ASRock Taichi X299 motherboard with the latest firmware. Contacted support for help, but they didn´t bother to answer me.

The only way to avoid BSODs is to keep the CPU under 3.6GHZ, turbo OFF.

Anyone with similar setup could help me ?

Motherboard: X299 Taichi ASrock

Processor: Core i7 7820X

Water Cooler H115i Corsair

PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2L

RAM 64GB Crucial DDR4 2666

WD Western Digital Black 512GB + Crucial MX300

ROG GTX 1080 TI OC

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2018 May 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was also having all the above issues

Mobo: Asus TUF Mark 1 X299

Processor: Core i7 7820X

Cooler: Kracken X62

PSU: Corsair AX760

RAM: 32GB Dominator Plantinum DDR4 2666

Samsung 960PRO 512GB

EVGA 1080 GTX FTW2

After looking up and discovering all kinds of problems and solutions that had nothing to do with my problem, I discovered it had something to do with the overclocking in Asus BIOS. At one point I thought I'd had it figured out to Adobe CC not being updated, so I signed in and out, re-installed everything and put BIOS back to default etc. Worked fine.

But then as soon as I overclocked it Adobe started crashing and BSOD once again. Turned off the XMP and overclock, and it works fine  now without having to reinstall anything.

Haven't tried to OC and turn off Turbo Boost yet, perhaps that would work, but at this point I just need my software to work so will stay on spec settings for awhile. My system, drivers, BIOS, etc are completely updated fwiw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 27, 2018 May 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I was having the exact same issues with my brand new i9-7920x. My rig came already overclocked and XMP enabled. Indesign and, oddly, Premiere Pro would cause a crash. Sometimes I'd get a BSOD and sometimes it was like the power was pulled and everything went blank. I went into BIOS and returned everything to it's default state. Rebooted and started Indesign...BSOD. The default state of my BIOS (ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming v 1301) is for turbo to be enabled. I disabled it. Rebooted and all was well. I had read on a few other forums that once you get Indesign to run, you can turn on overclocking (or in this case turbo) again without issue. So, I rebooted once again and turned on turbo. Rebooted...stability! Then I went back into BIOS and enabled XMP. Rebooted...stability!

So, from my experience, the only issue I have is with the CPU overclocking that the folks who built my PC did which were all done in Digi+ Power Control and CPU Power Management in the BIOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i built my new pc in july for video editing with premiere , After Effects and davinci for bm raw footage

i7 7820x

corsair 100i v2

MSI x299 gaming pro carbon ac

32 gig corsair vengeance 3200mghz ( 4 X8gigs)

970 512 m.2

nvidia 1070 republic gamer ed

all drivers and BIOS FULLY UPDATED

Started editing in premiere and photoshop and all was fine, da vinci also, but the moment i opened after effects i got a instant blue screen and reboot. like after hours of re installing OS.,, Adobe , EVERYTHING i started reading these forums and i put the voltage in BIOS 1.2 and after effects opens and turbo boost works great seeing 4.3 and all

butwhere its at now

BIOS sees i7 7820x  at 1.2v as 4ghz and premiere only goes to 4ghz when exporting. turbo boost wont go past that but after effects will be great up to 4.3

i even moved voltage to 1.17, 1.15 1.1 for testing. after effects will only open on 1.17 and 1.2V 1.15 will blue screen

this is kind all of annoying but at least things are working and doing ok

i came from a origian i7 from 2009 so at least my video editing has at least sped up quit a bit with coloring and effects.

but seriously???? why is this so complicated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to post an additional confirmation that appears to point to Intel Turboboost crashing Photoshop. I recently had to do work on some larger files, a lot of dragging of larger images into a design. I was getting repeated crashes.. most of the time the computer would just freeze (caps lock unresponsive) and I would have to reset. I never had this issue on my older workstation but recently built a new machine with an i7-7820X Skylake processor. The board is an MSI X299 Tomahawk AC.

Intel has a small system tray app for turbo boost and I originally just disabled it there. I thought that corrected it, but within 24 hours I was experiencing crashes again. One thing I could do to consistently crash the system would be to select the Selection -> Subject command. That caused my system to reboot immediately 4 times in a row. After getting frustrated I went into the bios setup and saw that there was an option to disable turbo boost there. I disabled it and have not had a crash since. I verified that the Selection -> Subject filter worked as intended this morning.

It should be noted that I ran other intensive applications, doing software builds in Visual Studio for instance and never had any issues. I ran benchmarking software and had excellent results. The only time my system crashed was using Photoshop. I have a suspicion that the code in Photoshop will need to address this issue and I hope that Adobe will address the community so that in the future we might be able to take advantage of turbo boost's ability to give us a little more performance on applications performing intensive single core jobs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm a bit late as this discussion is a few months old at this point, but still.

I Believe the fault lies not with Intel Turbo Boost or Adobe for that matter, but motherboard manufacturers implementing it against Intel specification. For example, some MSI x299 motherboards have a setting called "Enhanced turbo boost", which is either enabled or "auto" by default, so the system is overclocked out of the box. If enabled, this tries to run all cores at max turbo, which is against Intel spec. This in turn might cause the CPU to use more power than it is given, which then triggers a complete shutdown or a system freeze.

So, why does this happen with Adobe software only?

My guess is that Photoshop and other Adobe software might use AVX instructions or do something else when performing specific tasks that cause a momentary spike in cpu usage on all cores and a significant increase in power usage, choking the cpu. Anyway, it is not the fault of Adobe that some manufacturers don't follow CPU specifications by default.

I Have i9 7940x with MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (and a 1500 watt psu), and can reproduce this crash issue just by enabling the Enhanced turbo boost and not changing my voltages. Crashing is guaranteed. This "overclocked out of the box" is a thing that a lot of motherboard manufacturers do/did, which is why some might have fixed this with a bios update that might have adjusted the automatic voltages to a working level. MSI not being one of them (on all combinations of MB/CPU etc. anyway).

There should be no need to go running cpu cores at higher voltages like 1.2 if one wants to keep the enhanced turbo function. I fixed this issue simply by increasing the CPU Input voltage (VRIN/VCCIN on some systems) from the 7940x default of 1.8 V to 2.050 V, even 2.1 is completely safe, and won't increase core temps as much as directly increasing core voltages. CPU Input voltage is kinda like a "choke point", not enough juice, cpu shuts down.

So, on MSI x299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (and probably other MSI x299 mobos):

- Simple way: Disable enhanced turbo boost (This will still leave you with standard Turbo boost functionality as specified by Intel).

If you want to keep Enhanced turbo but your system is crashing with Photoshop:*

- Increase CPU Input voltage slightly, I have mine at 2.050 Volts.

- If it's still not stable, consider setting an AVX offset, which is recommended when overclocking anyway. As enhanced turbo is OC, this is a good option. I've set mine to -2 on both AVX and AVX-512. Everything is stable, no photoshop crashes, all cores are boosting, and can run a 3D render for 12+ hours at 100% cpu usage if needed (long sequence of frames).

As always, tinkering with voltages is done at your own risk. For having a stable system, turning enhanced turbo off is the safest route and will keep your system stable and cpu running cooler, thus increasing its lifespan ever so slightly.

*Might not work for everybody, you might need higher or might get away with lower voltages/offsets as not all CPU:s are made the same. Some win at the silicon lottery, others lose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines