• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to buy a "non cloud" version of Photoshop ?

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a custumer of Photoshop since PS4 back in the nineties... I'm not interested in working in the cloud, nor online...

Is there any "normal" option to upgrade my CS6 version normally ?

I feel like being left over by Adobe...

No cool 😞

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

CS6 was/ is the last standalone version. From here on, new versions will only be available as subscription.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 141 Replies 141
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 was/ is the last standalone version. From here on, new versions will only be available as subscription.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a pity... No other choice than to switch to something else then I'm afraid... I know it's not the same but I'll start investigate Gimp or whatever I'm going to find...

I really don't understand. What's the point in working Photoshop in the cloud when you're on a portable with no connection ?

Rather stupid...

And much moe expensive i the long term then buying a licence...

Thumbs down for Adobe...

At least Lightroom is still available for download !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to be connected to the internet to use Photoshop CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

etiennetordoir wrote:

What's the point in working Photoshop in the cloud when you're on a portable with no connection ?

That is not how the Adobe Cloud works.

The software downloads and is installed as usual on your local hard drive. You run the software and work with it as normal. You edit locally and save your files locally. Your choice if you want to also upload your files to the Cloud storage space (it's not mandatory).

Updates and upgrades are downloaded from the Adobe Cloud and installed locally.

Only your license is managed in the Cloud. The software will phone home every month or so to check that your monthly payments are up to date. If you stop paying, the software stops working.

Other than that, it's business as usual.

More info in the Cloud FAQ

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html

http://terrywhite.com/5-myths-about-adobe-creative-cloud/

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-creative-cloud-myths.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2015 Apr 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is sad when a company thinks they are in disposable and want to make subscriptions mandatory.  I understand subscription based programs make the company more money (in theory) by keeping the henchman's hand on the release to the guillotine, but you might very well lose customers to other software that way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2016 Sep 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cloud is a rip off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2016 Sep 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been thinking about this thread—and while I love Photoshop and think the CC subscription is worth it—several of you do not.

So I want to mention that one alternative to consider is Photoshop Elements. I don't use it, because I use Photoshop. But you can buy a license to it instead of subscribe to it. And you can open images in the .psd format. It can't do everything that Photoshop can do, so you will have see if it works for you.

Just a thought for those who are looking.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/supported-file-formats-photoshop-elements.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2016 Sep 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are quite alternatives to Photoshop.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm mostly interested in the erase feature photoshop has. 

Does anyone know of an alternative program that has this feature? 

To: [Moderator deleted private information. Please do not post private information like e-mails and phone numbers]

Sent: Sunday, September 11, 2016 1:46 PM

Subject: Is it possible to buy a "non cloud" version of Photoshop ?

Is it possible to buy a "non cloud" version of Photoshop ?

created by Feierwoon in Photoshop for Beginners - View the full discussionThere are quite alternatives to Photoshop. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8997985#8997985 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8997985#8997985 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Photoshop for Beginners by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624. This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

susanc49057053 wrote:

I'm mostly interested in the erase feature photoshop has.

Does anyone know of an alternative program that has this feature?

Photoshop Elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PhotoImpact was the only real contender to PS. They quit making it a few years ago, but they still sell it. If you get the Nova Development version of PhotoImpact Pro, it'll run on Windows 7 and 8. It's not compatible with MAC though. It's $100.

There are a few things PS will do that PI won't and vise-versa. I would say they've always been neck and neck when it comes to features and performance. I've always preferred PI myself. I've been using it since the late 90's.

I've experimented with Serif PagePlus as an alternative to InDesign, but it's still not ready for prime-time in my opinion, and there's nothing else any better either. Believe me, I've looked. However, I think PagePlus will get there eventually. I'm content to use CS6 until PagePlus is ready.

Also, I switched from Premiere to Sony Vegas for my NLE work and never missed a thing. Unfortunately, Vegas just got sold to a lousy company called Magix which has produced nothing but inferior products full of bugs in the past, so I'm guessing that I'll be using some different NLE software before long.

Cloud free and lovin' it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also buy the Corel Photo Paint.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might consider Photoshop Elements 15 for a one-off payment of around $40.

Amazon.com: Adobe Photoshop Elements 15: Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Gimp.

Corel also has a nice Photoshop replacement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically, Adobe owns your work. This sucks! And I hope they go out of business for forcing this down people's throats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

777pommie wrote:

So basically, Adobe owns your work. This sucks! And I hope they go out of business for forcing this down people's throats.

This is not true, but why do you think it is?

Adobe does own the software; they always have. You have purchased a license to use the software under the agreement terms that you signed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

777pommie wrote:

Preposterous, of course Adobe doesn't own your copyright work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2016 Sep 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

777pommie wrote:

So basically, Adobe owns your work.

No. If you drop Adobe CC, some programs will change into read-only mode. You can still look at your Artwork, but you cannot modify any more. Fair enough, if you need to modify, you can buy a license for a month.

And I hope they go out of business for forcing this down people's throats.

I hope not! For the moment they are doing good business...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will not be using Photoshop anymore either. I hate subscription based. So someone has a version of Photoshop they bought and they need to open a file. Now if they don't want to subscribe to photoshop they have to, to be able to open the file. I still have Photoshop 6 but after I have to upgrade this which won't be for awhile I will be finding another program to use. I am in the Graphic Design field but will make something else work. And it's not just me. My company will be doing the same thing. Sorry but I think this will be what some people will do. It probably won't hurt Adobe because they are so big but hopefully it will make it so other programs are invested in and updated. Adobe shouldn't be the only option out there anyway. Even though I've used photoshop for over 15 years and I love it. I don't love it anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2014 Jul 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost a year after this thread was started my comments are in essence the same as shared here.

I pretty much agree with everyone's dissatisfaction with the "Cloud" approach.  Most of us have been using and paying for Photoshop for a long time, buying incremental upgrades as they became available.  I get how we never really "own" the software, we just have purchased the right to use it.  The fundamental difference for me and a lot of others is that before Adobe's "cloud" approach the customer got to deciede if we wanted to upgrade to the next version or not.  If Adobe didn't innovate or improve on the feature set and performance we could vote with our buying decision, holding off on purchasing the next version (a practice I rarely did).  Now we're all paying to continue to use the software regardless and what's worse if we don't feel like the software is worth the monthly/annual fee the software time-bombs.  The new approach is ideal from Adobe's point of view but for the consumer or business they run the risk of all the stuff they have created being useless (at least the adobe specific files) unless they continue to pay; before you could still do whatever you wanted with the software but lost out on new features and functionality until you upgraded.  Businesses that purchase a significant amount of licenses (along with hardware to run the software from another company) wouldn't be able to treat the combined investment as a capital expense under the new monthly subscription model.

I fear that the motivation on Adobe's behalf to continue to add value in terms of feature enhancements will be a bit attenuated now that they have folks on the hook a bit more than in the past.  As far as the cloud storage goes I have at least four online data stores and I do not need a fifth.  I also don't plan on using the apps "in the cloud" like from the library or some other ridiculous scenario.  I'll still be downloading/installing the apps locally on my PC or Mac.

There have been a lot of companies that have adopted "cloud" models for software; I have yet to see where the decision to do so was driven by consumer demand.

Good comments all around in this thread.

--Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2014 Jul 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not everyone is dissatisfied.  You don't hear much from folks who like the value.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2014 Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I like the cloud approach it means I have a standard monthly amount to pay instead of a big lump sum, I get all the latest updates and I'm able to try other adobe software I probably wouldn't have done otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what happens one day when you cant afford to pay the monthly subscription...............you lose everything. I for one have enough monthly amounts to pay and as a low paid freelance writer regular payments are anathema to me. We are all getting stitched in tot the system to pay regular monthly amounts to all sorts of people....mobile company, cloud storage and so on.........welcome to The Machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One big problem is that in the latest upgrade they killed off a feature I use all the time in my work.  It's not always better. I suddenly discovered that instead of CS6 I had a new "improved" CC or something. And at least for a function I rely on doesn't work anymore.  How about trying to reach somebody at Adobe to help - "maybe its somewhere else?"  - no way.  Another long-time Adobe user looking for something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines