• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is photoshop 7 compatible with Windows 10?

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop 7 running under Windows XP SP3 and it works fine, so I don't need to have more recent versions.  I have a new PC running Windows 10, so can PS 7 run under it? probably not, so I may need to run it in a virtual machine running Windows XP.  I understand that perhaps it would be better to run CS2 which may be available to download free if I can provide the product key for PS 7.  Please advise.

[Asking in the correct forum helps... Moved from Premiere Pro to Photoshop... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 04, 2016 Apr 04, 2016

Photoshop 7 works here on windows 10 x64 without using any compatibility modes, actually a lot better than photoshop cs2 does.

The only major catch is you need to have 1 TB or less free space on your hard drive or photoshop 7 won't work.

Photoshop versions before photoshop cs couldn't see large hard drives with over 1 TB of free space.

906054_ps7a.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS2 is likely too old to run with Win10

An idea that MAY work to install and/or run old programs in Windows 10... works for some, not for others

-http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/15523-compatibility-mode-settings-apps-change-windows-10-a.html

-or Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 to assign FULL permissions may help... says Encore, but sometimes required for ALL Adobe programs (this is NOT the same as using an Administrator account)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Photoshop 7 is what I have and you didn't say if it will run under Windows

10. If it doesn't, what options do I have, without having to buy new

software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 7 works here on windows 10 x64 without using any compatibility modes, actually a lot better than photoshop cs2 does.

The only major catch is you need to have 1 TB or less free space on your hard drive or photoshop 7 won't work.

Photoshop versions before photoshop cs couldn't see large hard drives with over 1 TB of free space.

906054_ps7a.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2016 Apr 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your helpful reply, I will give it a try and as I only have SSD drives, non are up to a Tbyte so I should be OK. I'll let you know how I get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2016 Apr 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi R_Kelly

You are 100% right. PS 7.0 will run under Windows 10 Home, and it now does this on my PC.

I did have a problem because my PS 7.0 is an upgrade from PS 5.0 and I have lost the original PS 5.0 disc, so I copied the entire PS 7.0 folder on the old PC that I am retiring, into the Adobe folder on my new PC and then ran the installation of PS 7.0 which worked fine, so thanks a millionR_Kelly.  PS 7.0 may be very old like me, but it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You are right that Photoshop 7 does work with Windows 10, I have installed it and used it, so thanks for that, however it cannot see any drives other than c:\ so I cannot retrieve my images that are all on my data drive d:\.  I could transfer them to c: but that would defeat the object of having all data on a separate physical drive to keep the system software on another.  Do you know if Photoshop 7 could be tweaked to allow it to see other drives?  Of course I could create a temporary folder on c: and transfer what I need from d: to c: but that's a bit awkward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 7 can't see a drive if it has more than 1 TB of free space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi R_Kelly,

Non of my drives are as big as 1 TB yet PS 7.0 cannot see them running under Windows 10 Home, so maybe there's a setting that allows it to see other drives? eg PS 7.0 is installed in c:\ and my data drive is d:\ which it cannot see for some reason.  Do you have any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the drive an ssd or .....?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi R_Kelly,

All my drives are SSD:  c:\ for system and programmes, d:\ for data, e:\ for games

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you applied the 7.0.1 update to photoshop 7?

If not, it might be worth a try.

Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows : Adobe Photoshop 7.0.1 update

If in photoshop 7 you go to Edit>Preferences>Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks, do you see any other drives other than

your boot drive ( C  Drive) listed?  

You might also try running photoshop 7 as an administrator and see if then ps 7 sees the other drives.

Right click on the ps 7 shortcut and select Run As Administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, are the ssd drives formatted using NTFS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2016 Jul 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi R_Kelly,

Yes all my drives are NTFS.  To give you more data I have captured a screenshot of system/computer management/storage devicesComputer management drive data.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2016 Jul 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the below makes any difference from post 14?

Have you applied the 7.0.1 update to photoshop 7?

If not, it might be worth a try.

Adobe - Photoshop : For Windows : Adobe Photoshop 7.0.1 update

If in photoshop 7 you go to Edit>Preferences>Plug-Ins & Scratch Disks, do you see any other drives other than

your boot drive ( C  Drive) listed?  

You might also try running photoshop 7 as an administrator and see if then ps 7 sees the other drives.

Right click on the ps 7 shortcut and select Run As Administrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi DavidDundas,

as John said, you could try using the Compatibility Mode‌. Other than that, there is no other solution really.
Photoshop 7 is just too old to run on new-ish OS like Windows 10

Kind Regards,
Maurice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ps7 is really old and Win10 has been a disaster for me, it used constantly hang and crash until I disable the windows update service, anyway.....sorry. I suspect it wont work, why haven't you tried to install Ps7 on the win10 system, you have the software and win10 so why ask in a forum?

Edit: missed the above posts while typing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My copy of 7.0 is an upgrade, and I don't have any pre-CC versions installed. Could I install 7.0 using my old serial number, or would I have to first install the latest non-upgrade version I have (4.0)? Or did they use disk keys back then? (It's been so long . . .)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this works i split my drive and photoshop loaded and is working 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yes it can i've used it on my windows 10 laptop b4. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines