• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to pull data from a CSV while saving images?

Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Complicated issue is as follows:

On any given day iI have about 120 SKUs to create images for, now these files are named with SKUs as  12345.PSD. When I save my images out they become 12345.jpg, and subsequently 12345_1.jpg and so on.

However, I need to also add SEO friendly tags to these names after the fact. Example; 12345_1.jpg becomes 12345_Outdoor_Patio_Set_1.jpg and so on. 

Is there a way to save each file out from PS where it somehow finds that SKU in a CSV along with an accompanied item description like "Outdoor Patio Set" and creates an SEO friendly file as described above. Any other web asset creators or eCOM creators here that have a tool or know of scripts or tools that may accomplish this task at any level?

Please note, operating on Mac here.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search for tutorials for Photoshop Data Driven Graphic.  See if that will float your boat.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gosh, I'll tell you I read Adobe's instructions on that just now and my eyes glazed over. Maybe it's too late in the day for this kind of tech! I'll dig into it more tomorrow morning. There are some promising looking variable abilities in there that might help me with at least my different versions for the site and FTP feeds at least. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were on Windows, the answer would be to download Bulk Rename Utility, which includes an option to rename files based on a text or CSV file. Simple and effective. And free for non-commercial use. I have used it myself for exactly this before.

On a Mac, you could probably use the command line to do this. The same commands should be available as on Linux.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/438573/how-to-batch-rename-files-images-based-on-csv-file#438580

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this information. I possibly could work on a Windows laptop for this one process and use the home server as a storage host to go between, I'd imagine my company has a few loaner HPs sitting around still. I'll look into commands there as well, thanks for the link... I've found a lot of solutions in commands before, they are just absurdly more complicated than they need to be. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option would be to leverage metadata via an Adobe Bridge script or ExifTool:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge/need-a-script-to-update-keywords-for-20000-images-in-bridge/m-...

https://community.adobe.com/t5/bridge/can-you-import-metadata-from-an-excel-database-to-images-jpg-p...

Bulk import the .csv data against each image listed in the spreadsheet, then use the metadata to rename via Bridge's Batch Rename feature.

More at the foot of my blogpost:

https://prepression.blogspot.com/2016/08/extracting-metadata-to-csv.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very interesting, and I'll dig into this one further for sure. I love Bridge, I feel like it's often overlooked. I was just thinking about Bridge and how I could use that in my day to day, and this sounds like a no-brainer if I can get it running right. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a two step workflow, which is not ideal, however, it does not require custom scripting.

If you Google "Mac batch rename files from CSV" or use similar search terms, you will find many Mac and cross-platform tools to achieve this task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this will fit your workflow. 
I usually Import files by layers to edit with my Ecommerce photo editing work. 
Once I'm done, each export layer is renamed into a SKU, and I then use Export > Layer to Files under the file menu. 

This way, it allows me to Prefix or suffix text onto a filename, select an export format, and boom! I get all layers, in the desired way, which can be later used in a CSV since they follow the same naming convention.

Granted there's some manual work, when you rename each Layer with the SKU, I consider that a part of the editing process, since it also serves as a final approval of which image to use for me.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines