Exit

Lighting Effects Weirdness

Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 20 (2019)

Mac Mojave

While teaching this morning I used the lighting effects and all seemed just fine. Went to move the object and it turned black... so weird. Wondering if anyone can reproduce the problem...

Result after using Lighting effects

Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 9.24.23 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-25 at 9.24.43 AM.png

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Reported as fixed in the now released v 20.0.2

Fixed issues in Adobe Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi melissa,

that is very weird, since the layer is not a smart object! this could be an issue with GPU

have you tried the same steps on a different document after restarting photoshop ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still in the middle of teaching my class and haven't had time to trouble shoot. Very odd behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melissa

I can reproduce it on Windows 10, Photoshop CC2019, seems moving the layer triggers it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird bug... I'll report it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed here also Melissa

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Melissa, is that only on Windows or also on Mac?

I have had that issue on Windows ever since they put it in the CIB. It has worked fine on the Mac.

Here's what I do instead for that exercise:

• Press D for default swatches
  • Filter > Render > Difference Clouds
  • Filter > Add Noise > 3% Gaussian Monochromatic
  • Image > Adjustments > Hue/Sat (Colorize) > Blue for one; green for the other tombstone

I still do this with the If Action like they did a couple of versions back, so Portrait gets one color and Landscape gets the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reporting this, I have filed a bug on this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround:

1. Immediately save the file after applying a Light FX filter. (don't move it)
  2. Re open file and it works ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to find out how to do that workaround, but doesn't seem to work. Photoshop is remembering my last four saved lighting effects (downward spotlights) from Friday (when it worked fine), which, to me is great, because I actually do want the same lighting, I just want to remove a couple of the downlights and move the remaining two.

I even tried the workaround just now (created a separate layer specifically for the workaround, since I won't be able to move any of my lights), but anytime I hit the "OK" button to apply it, PS crashes. I can't save the file after applying because I can't even apply it.

Will try resetting PS prefs next.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although my suggestion for a workaround with Lighting Effects as a smart filter seemed to be an effective solution in most cases, I remarked  meanwhile  sometimes  instability and weird behavior. Another issue is that Lightning Effects applied as smart filter is not compatible with Adobe Photoshop CC 2018. (when you reopens a file in CC 2018). So,  Adobe, there is still a lot of work to be done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem which have been solved based on your suggestion.

In the first, I following your suggestion with Photoshop CC 2019 and I got a black image after reopen the file.

And then I turn back to the Photoshop CC 2018, it finally works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround does not work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a resolution for this issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, which exact Photoshop version are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dramenon

Daniel, I'm having the same problem with PS CC 20.0.1 on a brand new MBP with the Radeon Pro 555x graphics card. When can we expect this problem to be resolved? I tried the workaround and it did not help. I don't think anyone wants a workaround anyway; I would expect/hope that reported bugs would be addressed and resolved. Any new information regarding this bug?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad it's not just me. The work around helps but this is really killing my work flow for certain things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the mean time I found a workaround. You can avoid this problem by applying Lighting Effects as a Smart Filter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this. I ran into the very same issue and the Smart Filter fix worked great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for this which was not a problem before the update.  Lighting effects appear to work now without black squares and then crashes which were very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this works. Thanks, thought it was my GPU at first. Still consider this a bug since Adobe has not posted any updated for PS CC 2019 help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that. Unfortunately it did not work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the solutions here have worked for me either... did you ever find a work around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop update 20.0.1 has been released today,This update includes fixes to some of the top customer reported issues among other bug fixes ( including

more fixes in the link below:

Fixed issues in Adobe Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines