• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] Photoshop CS3 Activation [CS3 is dead]

Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2017 Aug 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has retired the activation servers for Creative Suite 3 (CS3) and Acrobat 8 applications and has left CS3 users hanging.  When the software is opened, a request for activation appears that cannot be activated because Adobe no longer has activation servers.  Instead, you are told to request a new serial key for a "special version" of the software that has to be installed to replace the original software.  According to Adobe, the "special version" of the software does not require activation.  After requesting a new serial key and installing the "special version" twice, I still get the message that the software has to be activated.  I have spent hours online and on the phone with customer support and no one seems to be able to resolve this issue.  I now have Photoshop CS3 that I purchased for a substantial amount of money that I can no longer use because I can't activate it.  Is anyone else having this problem and is there an answer?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

It's now 2020.  As an update, CS3 activation servers are gone.  And Adobe ended access to activation-free installers and replacement serial numbers.  Customer Care agents cannot help with this matter.  CS3 is officially dead.

If you never upgrade your computer or OS, you could potentially keep using CS3 for another 12+ years.  But I'm sorry to say that re-installation is no longer an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack  wrote

Yes I can not type or spell...

I resemble that remark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

JJMack   wrote

Yes I can not type or spell...

I resemble that remark.

Apparently I misunderestimated the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect communication is it possible?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently not. Apologies JJMack. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum saved my sanity thank you. All has finally worked and I can use photoshop and illustrator with no problems. However when I go to Acrobat Professional and I put in the new serial number it says I've entered an invalid serial number... Any ideas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2019 Oct 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how to download

cs3 extended

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps someone can help me with this. I'm stumped...

Re: reinstalling CS3 

OK,  #1 - I've done this before on a Mac with THE SAME operating system (10.13.6) High Sierra, and had no problems getting the CS3 up and running.

#2 - Have followed the instructions, downloaded the 2 DMGs, but when double clicking on the icon for Setup.app (after getting the little window asking if I want to open it) NOTHING HAPPENS - it doesn't open.

#3 - I have installed the Java SE6 runtime app, no problem.

#4 - my newer computer which I'm trying to install the CS3 on is the same as the old one EXCEPT for the new one has more RAM and has a SSD, the old one had a regular HD. However, I'm trying to install it on an external HD that has the same operating system 10.13.6, and the same file system it ran on previously.

#5 - I have gone through every Volume on my system and got rid of all old Adobe files. 

#6. Ran the CC Cleaner, too.

Am I missing something? Help if you can, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Activation or connection error when starting CS3 or Acrobat 8" topic is no longer available at the linked location. Is there a new page to input the old serial number and get a new serial number? I am trying to move my CS3 from an old computer to a new one and the serial number showing in the system info appears to be missing four digits. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did what instructions said, and sofware still insists I need to activate it.  Link above does not lead anyplace helpful.

SOlution does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That link no longer works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now 2020.  As an update, CS3 activation servers are gone.  And Adobe ended access to activation-free installers and replacement serial numbers.  Customer Care agents cannot help with this matter.  CS3 is officially dead.

If you never upgrade your computer or OS, you could potentially keep using CS3 for another 12+ years.  But I'm sorry to say that re-installation is no longer an option.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So basically what you are saying is that those of us who paid quite a bit of $ for the PREMIUM SUITE are left with a product which worked perfectly but is a write off for the company?  This makes no personal or corporate sense.  What ever happened to customer loyalty?  Companies expect or entice us into 'brand loyalty.'  Am so very disappointed in Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What ever happened to customer loyalty?"

Excuse me?  You haven't upgraded in 12+ years!!  That makes you a loiterer; not loyal.

At least if you had upgraded to CS4, 5 or 6 when you had the chance, you would be able to re-install your software,  outdated though it may be.  But you didn't.  So whose fault is that? 

I'm sorry I can't muster up much sympathy for people who cry at Adobe over this.  Ending access to an EOL product that won't install much less run on most devices anymore makes perfect sense.  Accept it and move on. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a pretty cold response.  I too paid a lot of money for CS3, Lightroom, and Acrobat licenses for many years.  I still use CS3 because it meets my needs.  Now I need to figure out how to load it on my new PC.  I'm hoping someone in this forum figured out how to do it. Adobe did not sell me CS3 as a subscription...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you did not download the CS3 Installer that does not need to be Activated that Adobe made available to their old customers around the time Adobe was retiring their CS3 activation servers you are out of luck. Old customers  could provide their Old CS3 serial number to an Adobe web application.  Adobe had on their Web site.  That Web Application would then give them access to the download and provides them with a new serial number they could use to install the download of CS3 that does not have to activated to work.   Adobe has removed that web application from their web site.  Adobe has official stopped all CS3 support. CS3 life is over its dead. CS3 extended cost $1000 and was available for download for more than 10 years.  Your cost was then all of $100 dollars a year.  Photoshop Elements cost is around the $100 has most of what was in CS3 and some newer features and a newer ACR,  Elements 2020 has support and is not subscription software. Which seems to be what. 

Mac OS now only support 64 bit Applications,  Windows may go the same way. CS3 is a 32bit Application that can not even access all the RAM on your  new Windows machine or run on new Mac machines.  If your 10 year old Mac or PC machine is still working CS3 should still be working on it.  Products, machine and humans have a life span.  How many $1000 products over 10 years old you use have manufactures support and can be service. CS3 is dead cold but limps around on my Window 10 workstatio.  CS3 can not take advantage of all of Windows 10 features or my machines hardware.  You miss the boat and did not back up CS3 when Adobe  gave you the opportunity to do so.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Search all the replies... There are a couple that may help u with that...one comes to mind about cloning your old hard drive (?)

Sent from AT&T Yahoo Mail on Android

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, excuse me?

My 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 still runs great. Some might consider it to be an End of Life Product but the Ford Motor Company still lets me use it and has never accused me of being a "loiterer."  I have a  beautiful wind up record player manufactured by the Davenport Cabinet Works.  I use it to play records that are older than my grandmother.  Wouldn't it be strange if the record company came to repossess my records and insisted that if I want to hear a song again, I must "upgrade" to MP3 or some darn thing?

Wouldn't it be odd if the Ford Motor Company programmed my Galaxie 500 to just explode after so many miles?

I have a 97 year old hammer that works just fine.

In capitalism, when you buy something, you own it.

I installed CS3 on my 64 bit Win 10 desktop and it ran just fine, until it stopped running and would not accept it's old activation code. What Adobe has done is theft, pure and simple.

Yes, I have "moved on."
I now use a product called Krita, which does most of what CS3 does except the buttons are in the wrong place.  Also, it is free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"In capitalism, when you buy something, you own it."

noizy,  Adobe owns the software. You don't own anything.  Product users have a limited, non-exclusive license to use the product until the owner, Adobe, says it's discontinued.  Every product has an End of Life and CS3 was no exception.  Read your EULA.

https://labs.adobe.com/technologies/eula/photoshopcs3.html

With respect to your wild comparison of intellectual property (software) with tangible collectibles (cars, etc...), nice try but it doesn't hold water.  By legal definition, they are not even in the same category and thus uncomparable (yes, that really is a word).  Also  nobody has any interest in antique software.  If there were any interest, auction houses would be making a killing on DOS2, Win3, MacWrite and MacPaint disks from the last century.  But as we all know, that's not reality because outdated software is not collectible except as junk for the recycle bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at the EULA.  Not finding the part where it says the software will ever self-destruct.

You wrote: "nobody has any interest in antique software."  If that were, then this thread would not exist.  There is an entire ecosystem of people trying to keep their CS products alive.  Emotional support groups and so on.

One of the most popular professional  image analysis packages is called "Image J" which was released in 1997.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't self-destruct.  It still works as it always did.  And if you never upgrade your computer and OS, you could potentially keep using CS3 for another 12+ years.  But you cannot re-install it.

"There is an entire ecosystem of people trying to keep their CS products alive. Emotional support groups and so on."

Sorry, I just can't bring myself to get sentimental about old software.  Old songs, sure.  But not software.  Everything on my computer is replaceable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh.

I'm resigned to it, which doesn't stop me from whining about it.

Krita is pretty good, but let's be honest, eventually I will break down and get an Adobe subscription. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does ford still manufacturer parts and service your  1966 Ford Galaxie 500 under some ford warranty your purchased. Or is it service by yourself and other you pay to maintain your 1966 Ford Galaxie 500.  Your hammer is a simpler device you can replace with it a rock tree branch.. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines