• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for lost palettes and actions

Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My prior desktop running Win 10 Pro failed last week and I opted to build a new desktop rather than trying to repair 10 year old hardware.  I opted for a Windows Home perpetual over the Win 7 Pro OEM (upgraded to 10) that I ran in my prior build. 

I was able to locate and copy over my PS 2021 roaming settings.  While patterns came back, actions and my custom palette groups did not.  My downloaded/installed palettes such as Ben Moore palette libraries did come back, but the custome palette groups I created did not.  I did not export my custom palettes at any time.  Is there any way to get them back?  

Similar story with actions; however, I'm not aware of a way to export actions.  As far as I know, when you create them they should be saved locally.  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2021 Jul 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As far as I know, when you create them they should be saved locally."

Wrong! If you do not save actions manually you may lose them. For help with actions on another computer wait for someone else with more experience and knowledge on recovering unsaved actions topic like @Stephen_A_Marsh 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback.  I did not save them manaully, so they are gone.  I'll need to regenerate them.  Could be worse.  My actions were not horribly complex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ideally you have been saving action sets from the action panel to a .atn file and would have these backed-up.

Unsaved actions are temporarily stored in the Actions Palette.psp file:

Mac OS example:

/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings⁩/Actions Palette.psp

Win OS example:

C:\Users\username\appData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings\Actions Palette.psp

You may or may not be able to recover actions if you can find and copy this file to the new system.

I created a script to open various files to manually create a backup. As it is run from the current installation/version of Photoshop, it will not be of much help to you. If you have access to the previous file system in a backup, then you could look for your old data in the following directory paths. Replace username with your user account name and the version name of Photoshop.

Mac OS:

/Users/username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop 2021

/Users/username/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2021/Presets

Win OS:

C:\Users\username\appData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Presets

C:\Users\username\appData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2021\Presets

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines