Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac mojave update photoshop CS6 not opening

Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue: Can't  use CS 6 Photoshop as due to upgrade on Mojave, it shows adobe application manager is incompatible. i have updated all the software (production premium CS6) and everything else works, any ideas, contacted support but they told me to come here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

thanks for the info, I have re installed high sierra, and everything works fine now, if i get the courage to upgrade in the future I will give your solution a go!!!

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 119 Replies 119

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi neilsy74,

Sorry that you cannot use Photoshop CS6 after upgrading to MAC OS Mojave.

Adobe has discovered the compatibility issue listed in this article with running Photoshop with macOS 10.14 Mojave: Known issues - Running Photoshop CC on macOS 10.14 Mojave

You may also refer our compatibility FAQ page here: Adobe Creative Cloud apps and macOS 10.14 Mojave compatibility issues

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS6 is over six years old, and there have been five major version releases since that. You are a very long way behind.

CS6 users have already had a number of issues under Sierra/High Sierra, and for each new MacOS iteration those issues multiply. We've said for a long time that CS6 will sooner or later stop working altogether. You may be at that point now.

You really need to use a current Photoshop version. A new release is due any day, it will be developed and tested for Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah I know its old, but to be honest its got everything i need to produce what I want, but looks like i will have to go for the new versions and subscribe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the hesitation to upgrade,  but as the OS advances,  older apps run the risk of being less and less reliable.  At least if you subscribe to CC,  its always going to be the most up to date version of PS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you try to start photoshop cs6?

If you just got the message about cs6 being not optimized, similar to the below message, you can just ignore it and it won't affect the operation of photoshop cs6. It just means that some of the sub processes that cs6 uses are not 64 bit even though photoshop cs6 itself is and in some future version of macOS 32 bit apps won't run, but even apple hasn't said for sure when that will be, but you should be okay with Mojave.

This is from pse 8 since i already ran cs6.

comp.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple has said that for sure 32 bit apps won't work in Mac OS 10.15. A definite deadline. But the message "not optimized for your Mac" is just a nonsense message which could be written "We are putting this worrying nonsense message so you contact the makers of your software, and annoy them into making sure there is a 64 bit version of their software, so stuff will still work on 10.15 and we won't look so stupid". Software makers don't mind, though, as they will be able to sell lots of upgrades and blame Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree completely.  The "Application Manager" warning is just a shot across the bow.  Click through and keep working.  It's great that people want to pay $50+/mon ($600+/yr - forever) for the comparable CC plan, but if you aren't a fan of subscriptions and your employer isn't buying this for you or you don't make your likelihood with it, then use and enjoy what you have.  But I wouldn't upgrade to the next macOS when Apple really forces the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 26, 2018 Sep 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after it crashed for the first time i get this message and no matter what i do it just keep crashesScreenshot 2018-09-26 at 08.00.25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to

/Users/User Name/Library/Preferences

and trash the following:

Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings folder

Adobe Photoshop CS6 Paths

com.adobe.Photoshop.plist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then go to

/Users/User Name/Library/Saved Application State

and trash the

com.adobe.Photoshop.savedState folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, tried it and still no joy. thanks anyway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff!

Go the dreaded "Could not save as <file> save because the file is already in use or was left open by another application"

Trashing the prefs and saved state folder worked for me.

CS6 is the last version that can save out reliable icon previews in OSX/MacOS, the reason I'm still using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used CS6 for years (yes, some will say that's the problem) with no issues. I paid for it and keep a copy on a hard-drive to be re-installed if ever there is a problem. That said, I'm a semi-retired professional photographer who doesn't want to suddenly have to pay a monthly fee to use an app that I purchased the rights to and use infrequently. My feeling is that, if Adobe can't respect that and issue an update that I can use on my existing version of CS6, Adobe doesn't have much respect for its long-term clients.

And, as for Apple ..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not arrogant.  You can't expect a software company to keep supporting an obsolete version of their product.  It would probably require a lot more work to make sure its compatible with Mojave.  They would rather focus their energy on developing the future versions of Photoshop,  instead of trying to make sure a 6 year old version of their software stays compatible with future OS.  No software company would do that and you can't expect Adobe to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is arrogant!

No one says anything against them newer versions, for those that want them. But I'm sure it would be easy to develop a plugin to support the older versions as well. But their interest is not in supporting people that are happy with what they have, but force them to buy constantly new stuff - just like apple, just in order to make more money! This unfortunately is seen as progress and economic growth, but the world at large does not need more grows and consumption - it needs SUSTAINABILITY on all levels!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is arrogant is having someone imply that I, a photographer with five decades of experience, am in the wrong field, using outdated tools, and should be welcoming of the idea of tossing something tried and trustworthy - and paid for. Would you say that about the 1970s Nikkor lenses that I use on my D600 or the outstanding enlarger lenses I’ve converted into digital copy-stand lenses? Undoubtably I’m a fair bit older than you. A little respect, please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I paid for it and keep a copy on a hard-drive to be re-installed if ever there is a problem.

Would you say that about the 1970s Nikkor lenses that I use on my D600 or the outstanding enlarger lenses I’ve converted into digital copy-stand lenses? Undoubtably I’m a fair bit older than you. A little respect, please.

I still have the installer for Photoshop 1.0 but it is not installing on any usable hardware. Turns out perpetual licenses are not perpetual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats great, if they are not going to support a paid product then they have to reimburse the cost of the product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe hasn't evolved squat since they got you cc#

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree! After being a loyal Adobe consumer/user, I feel like they have slammed the door in my face by making me pay monthly or yearly rent. I'm stuck having to stay with Yosemite OS where my CS6 still works smoothly. At least sell us a patch to let our CS6 work with current OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marc, Indesign and PS work fine for me on High Sierra. Illustrator wouldn't work, but I don't use it so that was fine.

I don't mind paying the $10 a month for PS but with Indesign it's too much since I don't earn anything from my work. So I'm scrambling to figure out what I will do when I have to upgrade OS. Have 2 computers? That's expensive. I looked into Affinity a little bit and the learning curve seems too high for me. I'm an old dog, not a whiz kid. So I too am disgusted with this subscription service. I wish I could join a migration away from Adobe but I'm not sure I can. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2019 Nov 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of people are reporting Affinity photo to be close in performance to PS. If bully tactics are the way adobe want to go then I'm off to the dark side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep consolidating my response to this issue but, as a septuagenarian career photographer working in semi-retirement, who purchased PS6 and has been working with it since it was launched, there are two things I do not want to be confronted with. One, having to give up a trusty workhorse and, two, having to devote a bunch of time to learning a new application and how it does and doesn't intergrate with a library-full of existing PSD files. I'm working around those issues now on two Macs, one with High Sierra and PS6, the other with Catalina and Affinity.

In their attempt to boost sales and, simultaneously, screw existing customers, Adobe will, sooner than later, sctrew themselves. I have read on this blog and elsewhere that current versions of Photoshop don't offer the average user (like me) much more than I work with in PS6. So why would I give up on software that I paid for just to pay a monthly fee to Adobe to use a similar product the few times a month that I do? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to stay with Adobe as its what I have used since 1993, I use PS daily for my job but I hate these subscriptions. I use a variety of Adobe software, the CC suite on DVD were an investment but they used to last me a few years, by contrast to get the same suite now will cost double in real terms. I have started to use Affinity Photo (and Affinity Designer to replace AI) - its a one-off price and does everything I need, so this will be my replacement. I use Coda instead of Dreamweaver and will find alternatives for the other applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines