• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open Kodak PhotoCD files in PS CS5 - is it possible? (Win XP)

Advocate ,
Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have some old Kodak PhotoCD files (.PCD) that I would like to open in PS CS5.  After searching the KB and forums for info, I found the file "Photo CD.8BI" in the Goodies folder on my CS3 disk and copied it into C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5\Plug-ins\File Formats.  Unfortunately, PS CS5 still will not open the .PCD files.

I could install CS3 again and use the Photo CD.8BI plug-in there, but I'd rather not install CS3 if I don't have to.

Anyone know of a way to open/convert .PCD files in CS5, or is the .PCD format so old that it can't be done?  (I'm using Windows XP Home.)

Thank you.

John

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 27, 2010 Aug 27, 2010

You're welcome.

I've taken it one step further...  I have discovered how you can open your .pcd files in Photoshop CS5, which may help you access your existing library of .pcd files.

All you need to do is find the file pcdlib32.dll that came with the same version of Photoshop from which you got Photo CD.8BI.  Copy pcdlib32.dll into your Photoshop CS5 32 bit installation area (or a folder in your PC's path) and voila, it works!

PCD.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll have to launch in 32 bit to use the old plugin.

And yes, PCD is getting pretty old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply, Chris!

Is there a way for me to "launch in 32 bit" in Windows XP Home?  I don't think so, but I thought I'd ask.... just in case.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In XP Home you're always in 32 bit mode.

In which case you may not have put the plugin in the correct locatino - check the Help -> System Info report to see if the plugin is being loaded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Yes, System Info reports the plug-in is loaded -- Photo CD 9.0 (9.0x170).  It also says no plug-ins failed to load.

When I try to open a .PCD file, the warning box opens, but the box is empty, no text.  When I remove the plug-in, the warning box opens with text saying the file isn't supported (or something like that).  It's odd that having the plug-in installed would corrupt the warning box.

If Noel's suggestion of IrfanView works -- I've emailed him a file to test -- I can use that.

Thanks to both of you for your help.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like the plugin is loading, but just is so out of date that it won't work with Photoshop CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have heard that there is a plug-in for the popular freeware viewer Irfan View that will read Kodak Photo CD format.  Check here:

http://www.irfanview.com/plugins.htm

Do you have a link to a .pcd file somewhere?  I can try it to see if it works, as I have Irfan View and all its plug-ins.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

Thank you.

It looks like IrfanView will do it.  I haven't used IrfanView in a long time.  I guess it will convert the .PCD to a JPG or TIFF, yes?

I am emailing you a file to test... thank you for offering that.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Irfan View does open the file, I've sent you back the image attached to an eMail.

It's been a really long time since I opened a .pcd file, but don't I recall the Kodak system allowed you to select the resolution?  Irfan View did not provide such a selection - it just opened your file as 768 x 512 pixels.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, PhotoCD had multiple resolutions.

Some plugins would open at the highest avaialble resolution, and some would prompt for the desired size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel... I got the conversion, thank you!

Yes, as Chris points out, the old PCD plug-in always asked which resolution you wanted.  I guess IrfanView can't do that... but at least it works a little bit.

Chris... thanks for looking at this and for your suggestions.

I think it's time to dump the old PhotoCD files!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just sent you, via eMail, a 6 megapixel conversion of the second file you sent.  I have older versions of Photoshop still installed, so I was able to open it that way.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

Thank you so much for your time and effort helping me.  I got the second file and it is perfect for my current purposes.

Wow... what a great tribute to the Adobe forums... people really helping each other.  I hope I can return the favor to you, Noel, or to someone else at a later time.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome.

I've taken it one step further...  I have discovered how you can open your .pcd files in Photoshop CS5, which may help you access your existing library of .pcd files.

All you need to do is find the file pcdlib32.dll that came with the same version of Photoshop from which you got Photo CD.8BI.  Copy pcdlib32.dll into your Photoshop CS5 32 bit installation area (or a folder in your PC's path) and voila, it works!

PCD.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel....

Very cool!  Thanks for pursuing this further.  I'll find that file on my CS3 disk and install it.

Let's hope this helps the next person who still has old PCD files.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 28, 2010 Aug 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

You have probably just saved me needing to keep my CS2 PS on a machine, when I go to CS5. I too have plenty of the old Kodak PhotoCD's, and do not have a problem - yet. My "solution" was to just keep an older PS version around, with the proper files installed. I'll probably still keep one around, as the new workstation will be only 64-bit, to accommodate PrPro CS5, which only comes in one flavor.

Thank you for the tip,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 09, 2010 Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied my .8bi file to CS5 in same plugins folder location (file formats) and it works just fine.

I found several copies of pcdlib32.dll but none were in Ps so either my PC found one of these or did not need it....as the dialog box for file size choices etc. opened directly....and I easily imported an image from a .pcd from 1998

I have several dozen such old .pcd CDs from when I shot film to print, slide, and PCD for every roll I shot back then until I switched to digital long ago.

Still have my 35mm film camera body but use the lenses on my dSLR now.

Good to have .pcd abilities so easily as a Ps plugin that still works in CS5.....and simply a copy/paste from CS4.....& likely the CS3 and CS2 version is the same....136K file.....its internal properties says last modified 1-1-1970  4am...yes, correct, 1970 !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" Irfan View did not provide such a selection - it just opened your file as 768 x 512 pixels."

In IrfanView view menu settings/prefs (something like that in the menu dropdown) , you can set the size to open .pcd files...awkward, but you can open any of the usual .pcd image sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2010 Sep 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this may not be of help to you John.

For PS-cs5 users on the mac platform (worked with Intel running snow leopard) here is a work around for getting at those old Kodak Digital Science Photo CD master disk and the PCD files.

You can import them into I-photo. Once you have them imported with I-photo you can get them into PS-CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 04, 2010 Nov 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@someguyinnw  Thank you kind sir.  You just saved me HOURS of effort with your brilliant PhotoCD to iPhoto solution.  I am forever indebted. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2010 Nov 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

I had a panic there as well until I figured this out myself. Seems to work on most of the Photo CDs. I had used this Kodak PhotoCD format (200+ disks) thinking that it would be good for long term storage archive, so much for best laid plans…

Ted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another solution that looks very good (although I have not used it):

... and this one...
John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

I have gone back to loading and running ps cs3, and then set up a action and with automate-batch to open and convert these pcd files. Seems to work ok. Took a bit of trial and error.

The file color profile conversion seems to work. Most of my pcd cd were made down at Pro Lab and they seem to have had calibrated equipment and good profiles embedded.

I have not tried the pcdMagic, or pcdtojpeg.

The iphoto hack seems to only work with some photo cd not my pro photo versions I discovered. There was a difference.

Photoshop is still fun.

Ted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My recollection was that my photo storage boxes contained dozens if not hundreds of PhotoCDs with thousands upon thousands of images.  But it turns out my "massive collection" amounted to a mere 500 photos on only 10 discs from 1996 & 1997.  They have since all been added to the iPhoto library, as well as to my Photoshop directory.  The pictures are crap in terms of photographic quality, but priceless in terms of memories.  I have a feeling I will never again need a PCD converter, but it's nice to know it's there if I do.  Thanks again for the help, gentlemen.

d

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2010 Nov 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try: http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/software/pcdAcquireDownload.shtml

Dennis Hallinan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines