Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opened in the background:

Firefox

Adobe Lightroom Classic

Working in:

Photoshop CC 2019

About 8-10 imported 30mpix RAW files from LR to PS. No layers, except temporal ones that are soon flattened. Working with images start nicely but soon PS clogs. Starting Alien Exposure 7 soon crashes. Trying to use history brush reports "out of RAM" after a while. Firefox also has crashing tabs. Task manager reports 94-97% memory usage.

That is my workflow. It worked without problems in previous PS & LR versions.

W10, 16GB ram, Scratch disk basically endless. Also 6GB of DDR5 video memory.

My questions:

1. Why isn't PS using the Scratch disk when memory is critical?

2. My memory range for PS is set to about 9.5k reserved. Should I increase it or decrease it, because of background programs (LR, browser and other small stuff)? I noticed PS is allocating about 5-6GB of ram in the Task Manager

3. Does History States matter? I lowered from 50 to 40. Usage of GPU is set to Advanced, like before.

Upgrading to 32gb ram currently is not an option due to incredibly high RAM module prices. Besides, I did work nicely before, stable and without crashing, on PS 2018.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16 GB should be plenty. But I can't make sense of "9.5k reserved". What is the exact memory allocation in Preferences > Performance? With 16 installed it should probably be in the 70-75% range.

Also, what is "endless" scratch disk? Can you give a number for free space on your primary scratch disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks D Fosse for trying to help me.

- It's 9,5k megabytes of RAM, or about 65% of 16GB. I toyed with 65-75% and similar results happen.

- "Endless" meaning it's not an issue. About 480GBs of free space for separate scratch disk.

I also noticed my system is stable until it reaches the point of 95-98% constant memory usage. Then everything starts falling apart. That happens if I try editing every opened image simultaneously. When I reach to about 5th or 6th image, PS is falling apart and Alienskin Exposure is already reporting errors. Meanwhile, background programs start crashing too if I continue pushing in the PS. LR Classic remains responsive and stable though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

psbugs.jpg

Ok, here's another thing. I tried using Content-aware fill and got the message in the screenshot.

Notice this:

Efficiency is 100%

Memory usage by PS is only 3,6GB's with 78% memory being used overall (totally normal).

YET, I got this error message by PS.

Something is not right guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ivframes  wrote

Something is not right guys.

I tend to agree - this isn't normal behavior, given the information so far.

It could be a bug, but it still has to be something particular about your system that triggers this. This doesn't happen to me or most others here. I seem to remember something similar from a while ago, though. Just can't recall what it was. Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm almost certain this is a memory bug. It only happens when PS thinks memory is "overloaded" and only in CC 2019.

There's no sense that allocating 75% memory to PS (11GB), it refuses to do a simple content-aware fill when only 3,6GB is used for PS with 78% memory used in total. It's like PS freaks out when PC memory usage goes beyond 80%.

I wouldn't mind if PS would do Content fill slowly, but totally refusing to do with "no memory" message breaks it for me.

If there's something more I could provide to aid you on this issue or file a bug report, feel free to post here.

@Ged Traynor - yes I have reset the preferences, started without plugins and even reinstalled the whole PS v20.1 from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You can report bugs here

Photoshop Family Customer Community

I'm not seeing any issues on both my work and home PC's, you could install CC 2018 to see if you have the issue with that version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Have you tried resetting Photoshop preferences

Reset Pref.jpg

Enabling this option in preferences and restarting PS

enable legacy comp.jpg

Opening Photoshop without any plug-ins by holding down the Shift key while launching PS

Or this

Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, all I can suggest is to post over at the feedback site. This is the official channel for bug reports and feature requests.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories/photoshop_family_photoshop

Include as much relevant information as you can, and the steps to reproduce it. I can't reproduce it here, but maybe someone else can.

(cross-post)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks guys, I just did and already been seen by Quality Engineer. Hope to have this resolved soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any resolution to this issue? I'm having the same problem and my rig and setup are almost identical to yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Our only hope is to wait for PS team to sort all kinds of issues, so maybe this will be resolved by itself.

Meanwhile, come here and post your problem. Maybe when they see there's more of us, they will take it more seriously.

Photoshop CC 2019 (20.0.1): Error "Could not Fill because there's not enough memory." | Photoshop Fa...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It may help if we could see your Photoshop System Info. Launch Photoshop, and select Help > System Info... and copy/paste the text in a reply. I want to see all the possible commonalities between your systems. Feel free to post over here: Photoshop CC 2019 (20.0.1): Error "Could not Fill because there's not enough memory." | Photoshop Fa...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines