• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: How to fix Photoshop Scratch Disks Full Error?

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Photoshop CC on my MacBook Air with macOS Sierra. Every time I attempt to open Photoshop through any means, the following message appears: "Could not initialize Photoshop because the scratch disks are full", and Photoshop does not open. I tried clearing space from my Mac in general including several GB worth of apps and removing several cache files, but nothing seems to work. I also tried holding down the command and option keys to reveal the Scratch Disk Preferences, and it lets me select the Startup and MacIntosh HD. Again, nothing worked. Anyone know how to fix this message, and/or clear scratch disk space?Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 8.36.51 PM.png

{Moderator note: Edited the thread title PS-65057}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

This is super late, but for anyone else who runs into this issue...Similar thing happened to me. Do you make new files by pixel size or by inches? I usually go by pixels (ex: 2500x3000 or something like that), but I apparently I had accidentally switched to inches and it would only let me max the numbers to 1000. Went back to pixels and it all worked out!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Hi all,

We're sorry for the scratch disk issue. Take a look at the following troubleshooting article which can help you to resolve the "Scratch disk is full" error: Troubleshoot scratch disk full errors in Photoshop

Please have a look and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 328 Replies 328
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A terrible idea.  What is the fastest SD card available?  100Mb/s with the wind behind it, and providing you have a really good card reader.  I am sure that reading and writing to scratch files is a serious bottleneck, and it gets worse if you use a lot of Smart objects.  If you really need to use an external drive for scratch space, look at a USB3 drive that comes with its own power supply, like the Seagate Expansion.  They are good for 180Mb/s.

But let's take a step back.  Have you really run out of space, or is there another problem? 

Solve Adobe Photoshop problems and issues by keeping it up-to-date

How much free space does the primary Scratch drive have?

Look for orphaned Photoshop temp files in the root of that drive.  If it does not have today's date, delete it.  Or close Photoshop, and if any are left, delete them.

If you just have the one drive, then you might be able to free up a bunch of space.  If it was a Windows system, I'd suggest WinDirStat to see what is clogging the drive, but there is a Mac equivalent.   You'll need Gene or another Mac expert to suggest what can go, but the best plan is to relocate some things to a second drive.  Your

Disk Inventory X

Whoops..  Just read your post again and I see you are using a Surface Pro.  I have to go cook our tea right now, but'll post gain later if no one else has sorted you out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so you are using Windows, and I imagine Windows 10?

Download an install WinDirStat, and check your boot drive.

https://windirstat.net/

It will produce something like this, and you need to look for the big chunks of data, like the huge blue rectangle in the middle of my screen shot.

If I click on that blue rectangle it tells me it is Windows hibernation which is 25Gb on my system, and something you don't need. So disabling it would immediately win me 25Gb of space and it's a PITA anyway.  The only reason I have not disabled so far on this system is that I have a 500Gb boot drive, but I have noticed that I can't wake Photoshop from Hibernate, so will be getting rid soon.

There are lots of opportunities to reduce space on a Windows 10 boot drive, and a ton of links telling you how:

https://www.windowscentral.com/best-7-ways-free-hard-drive-space-windows-10

How to Reclaim Hard Drive Space by 'Shrinking' Windows 10

While it is a terrible idea to use your SD card as Scratch space, there is no reason not to 'mount' it as a normal drive, and move some of the non-critical data to it.  If you are not, please feel free to run it buy us, but things like old picture files and other documents, downloads etc.  I don't actually know if you can hot swap an SD card when it is mounted, but if you can, then it would be a great way to do your backups.

Mount SD Card as Permanent Storage or Local Drive in Windows 10 – EaseUS

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, WinDirStat will quickly become essential - keep the link handy everyone! There will be a rush of these coming!

All those first-generation 120/240 GB SSD machines are now starting to hit the wall. It worked for a while, but now the user account folder has accumulated enough junk to fill the system drive up completely. A lot of users will be at 80% or 90% by now.

After running Windows Disk Cleanup, the only sensible thing to do is to clean out the user account. Look for caches and preview folders. This is where WinDirStat is indispensable - those big folders stick out and you see them right away.

As an emergency first step - delete all Bridge Previews, going back all previous versions you have had installed. Redirect the previews folder to somewhere else in Preferences. If you have Premiere Pro and After Effects, they are other big offenders. Do the same there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, guys! I just wanted to thank everyone for your answers! I got a bit busy so this is long over due. I used WinDirStat and cleared up some space and and moved some stuff over to my SD card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks in advance for reading my post. So I recently decided to get a 126GB external hard drive because I wanted Adobe Photoshop and my Internal hard drive currently only hass like 6GB worth of free storage (I know that's pitiful). I'm going to get an SD card eventually, but right now this is what I'm working with. The only problem is my external hard drive is not showing up in my Scratch Disk, all I see is my internal hard drive with 6GB.I can't really do anything with 6GB because as I'm sure you all know, photoshop likes room to spread it's wings. I'm slowly starting to lose my mind and I really would appreciate some help, I'm unfortunately not very tech savvy. I'm using a PC, I HP Stream laptop 14 to be exact. And I just have a SanDisk drive, nothing fancy. Again, thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While this is Mac centric, the idea is the same. Be sure the external drive is formatted as NTFS and and checked on in Preferences > Scratch disks.

Cannot change my scratch disk to external HD - Photoshop CC 2015.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My external hard drive is formatted as NTFS, and there is nothing to check in my scratch disks because they don't even show up. The only thing I see in scratch disk is my internal C: drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the holding down  the Alt + Ctrl keys on Ps startup. Is your scratch drive an option in the drop down menu?

Scratch+Disk+Photoshop.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, I've done that and I still only see my C: drive as an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming your drive shows up in Windows, then something's not right with Photoshop. Can you go to Help > System Info and get the exact version of Ps?

At this point, I would recommend a Preferences reset, but also make sure your Photoshop is updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, when I ctrl+ alt start photoshop I cannot see my D: drive, only my C: drive ssd, it's like photoshop doesn't even recognise the existance of my 2nd drive... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Are you on Mac or Windows platform? Do you see the drive in the Finder/File Explorer on your machine?

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mohit Goyal : "C:" and "ctrl+alt start" looks heavily like Windows jargon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I've been having the same issue as well. I'm on Mac and I gave 2TB of space on my hard drive but Photoshop is still  saying that my disk is full. Should I just delete files from my hard drive? 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try ExFAT instead of NTFS and see if that works. NTFS is better for hard drives but ExFAT is supported.

Understand that you have a VERY low-end laptop that will not run Photoshop very well. Instead of struggling with this system, my advice is to find a recent used computer that has better specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would second trying ExFAT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I go about doing a preference reset when I can't even open Photoshop due to the low disk space? I also tried switching to ExFAT and it still didn't work, unless I have to restart my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not be able to run Photoshop on that computer at all. Even if you get it running, it will probably be so slow as to be useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're probably 100% right. Well that's too bad, can you recommend any good laptops or tablets that wouldn't cause me to pull my hair out like hp does?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not so much HP as just having a cheap, low-spec netbook.

I'd look for a computer with (bare minimum spec): i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, 128GB SSD and a decent 13" display. You can probably find something a few years old, used with those specs for $3-400. More money will buy a faster processor, better video card, more RAM, more storage, bigger screen, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for the hard drive not showing up in Windows, you can try the following methods.

1.  check whether the connection cable or port is in a good condition. If the data cable or connection port is damaged, then the BIOS cannot detect the cables and sometimes even disturb their connection. So please ensure the cable is connected to the port tightly. Or you can plug the flash drive to your computer through another different port and cable to test their conditions.

2. If the flash drive is not enabled in System Setup (BIOS), then it won’t show up in Disk Management and Device Manager. Since some unused ports are disabled in the BIOS in default by the motherboards producers, you might found the connected hard drive not appearing in Windows. In such case, you can enter BIOS to check their current states and enable them if necessary.

3.Update the driver:

Right-click on Start, click Device Manager.

Expand Disk driver and locate the hard drive which cannot be detected by Windows.

Right-click on the disk and select "Update Driver Software" from context menu.

Select Search automatically for updated driver software.

4.Check and fix bad sectors on the second disk

Press the Windows key to open the Start Menu

Select Search

Type-in cmd

Right-click on Command Prompt from the search results listcmd

Click Run as administrator

When Command Prompt launches, type the command:

chkdsk C: /f /r /x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been getting the error that the scratch disks are full. My PC has two internal hard drives and one of them is fairly small. I'm interested in using the D drive, which is where I basically have all my software installed, etc. The first time I used photoshop, both the disks showed up and I was able to choose my D drive. I haven't formatted or anything since then. The D drive is working fine.

Then, I got the error again and now the D drive isn't showing up at all after loading photoshop.

c.png

That said, it still shows up when I open the scratch disk selection on the loading screen using Ctrl+Alt

cd.png

And it is (and has been) the chosen scratch disk (as you can see, even when going to the preferences in PS, the C drive isn't ticked). The D drive has 283 GB of empty space so it should be more than enough. Both disks are formatted to NTFS (seems I read somewhere PS doesn't like NTFS but wouldn't that not show me either disk?)

Any help would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Valentinevar,

Sorry to hear about the scratch disk not showing the other drive, could you please let us know the exact version of Photoshop & operating system you're working on?

Also, could you try the steps mentioned here and let us know if it helps? Second internal hard drive not visible as scratch disk option. Photoshop CC, OS X

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's the system stats that pulls from PS

Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.1.6 20180808.r.398 2018/08/08: 1185588  x64

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Version: 10 or greater 10.0.17134.1

Running the program as administrator makes both the disks show up. I followed the steps on that thread you linked but I'm not sure anything changed because if I don't run the program as administrator the disk still doesn't show up. What would I do if I continue to get the scratch disk are full error at this point? because it only makes me think that Disk D has been the selected disk this whole time and I've still been getting the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use Windows what does windows disk managment show ?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines