• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: How to fix Photoshop Scratch Disks Full Error?

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Photoshop CC on my MacBook Air with macOS Sierra. Every time I attempt to open Photoshop through any means, the following message appears: "Could not initialize Photoshop because the scratch disks are full", and Photoshop does not open. I tried clearing space from my Mac in general including several GB worth of apps and removing several cache files, but nothing seems to work. I also tried holding down the command and option keys to reveal the Scratch Disk Preferences, and it lets me select the Startup and MacIntosh HD. Again, nothing worked. Anyone know how to fix this message, and/or clear scratch disk space?Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 8.36.51 PM.png

{Moderator note: Edited the thread title PS-65057}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Dec 02, 2017 Dec 02, 2017

This is super late, but for anyone else who runs into this issue...Similar thing happened to me. Do you make new files by pixel size or by inches? I usually go by pixels (ex: 2500x3000 or something like that), but I apparently I had accidentally switched to inches and it would only let me max the numbers to 1000. Went back to pixels and it all worked out!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Hi all,

We're sorry for the scratch disk issue. Take a look at the following troubleshooting article which can help you to resolve the "Scratch disk is full" error: Troubleshoot scratch disk full errors in Photoshop

Please have a look and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 326 Replies 326
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LIFE SAVER, documents saved, now time to clean out the disk, thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You only have 3.8 GB of Free space

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to buy an external hard drive pronto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

I am trying to change the scratch disk to my external hard drive by going to preferences> Scratch disks etc but my External HD isn't showing as an option and it won't allow me to de-select the Mac HD option either. Even when I launch PS and press Command + option it doesn't show my external HD as an option.

I had to spend ages deleting a load of files from my HD in order to free up space, but I have an ext HD with tons of space so I would like to use that instead.

I'm using Photoshop CC 2020 - Macbook Pro Catalina v 10.15.2

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try restarting Photoshop while holding option and command (Mac) or CTRL and Alt (PC)

See if you can choose your drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For windows, you can do this
Untitled-1.png

For Mac, I don’t know where the registry analog is, where you can specify the parameters for Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi check following video hope it helps you ..... Regards

Fix! Scratch disks are full in photoshop 2021

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey, i had the same problem - the external drive just won't show up in the list of possible scratch disks. what i found is that your external drive shouldn't be fat32 but os-x-extended, that's the reason. so you're left with two options: you either format your drive into mac's file system or give up. x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done and done.  Solved it for me right there ^^^.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2023 Jan 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both of my external disks are exFAT for my Mac and PS still won't recognize them to use as scratch disks no matter what I try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't use exFAT with the newer versions of MacOS. You need to use APFS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know, thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We're sorry for the scratch disk issue. Take a look at the following troubleshooting article which can help you to resolve the "Scratch disk is full" error: Troubleshoot scratch disk full errors in Photoshop

Please have a look and let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

I am running PS 2020 on a Windows 7 and I seemed unable to select my scratch disk from the edit> Preferences>Scratch Disk. I even tried to rename the PS settings folder in the user roaming profile and did a clt-alt keystroke before launching the program, but alas to no avail. 

Anyone has any suggestions?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

newbie here 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you actually have another disk? If so, what kind, how is it connected? How is it formatted? If external, are you reconnecting it so that the drive letter changes? (that can be avoided by assigning a high letter).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI ,

To refurish more info, my W7 has 1 SDD and 1 SATA. I am planning to use the SATA disk as scratch disk since it has > 800 Gb of free space. This disk is formatted as NTFS and as admin, I have full rights to the disk, meaning I am able to read/write and even format the disk. This SATA disk is a 2nd disk meant for storage and it is not holding any system files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're sorry for the trouble. What is the external drive format that you are trying to use as a Scratch disk?

Do you see the drive is listed under Scratch disk in Photoshop preferences? The drive format should be one of these NTFS, exFAT, FAT32 to use as Scratch disk in Photoshop.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've managed to resolve my issue. Apparently, I need to change the Enviromnet variables under the Advanced system settings to route TEMP and TMP to my secondary disk and do a reboot before I get to see the scratch disk is routed to my desired drive.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what you are talking about! Evironment variables? That's a new one on me.  And just to clarify, I don't have any issue with scratch disks. I simply wanted to add another external drive to the list. It has Macintosh HD as #1 and I have a LaCie that is listed 2nd. but it's not showing my additional LaCie which is 5TB and I wanted to list it as #3, but photoshop doesn't see it. (I'm sure it's formated the same as the other, so that can't be the problem). My iMac sees it fine. It's photoshop 2019 that doesn't see it. (I can't use Photoshop 2020 or 2021 cuz I'm using macOSCatalina -- which pissses me off to no end)! Why didn't Adobe warn us of this before Catalina came out???!!!  Why do I keep payng this damned $52 every month when I CAN"T EVEN USE IT!!!!! It's extortion!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KokoBlue...I am just sharing my findings and managed to resolve the issue I have. Obviously, you didnt read what machine I am using which the solution I managed to get somewhat solved the issue. As for your Mac, good luck to you. I am a user and not Adobe staff. I understand your frustrations but you should direct your anguish to the relevant group of people , instead of the communites where users sharing ideas/solutions to help each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. So, to whom do I write a letter or send an email to where it will get actually get read by a person with any influence at all??!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best place would be Adobe Photoshop Family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, I was trying to enter to Photoshop but it wont open since my scratch disks are full. Ive seen tons of tutorials but none would help me to empty the scratch disks. Can someone help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Essentially, you need as much free space as possible in your Scratch Disk. Maybe these links can be helpful:

Troubleshoot scratch disk full errors in Photoshop

P: Photoshop won't open because scratch disks are full

Marlon Ceballos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to load Watercolor Artist actions into my 2018 PS version.  I was able to load the Watercolor Artist and WCA Brushes, but I was not able to load the WCA Patterns.  It needed version 20, 21 or 22.  I updated (21.2.10), but now I am receiving "Scratch Disk Full" (Mac 10.13.6) and unable to open the application at all.   I am probably not going to be able to figure out how to change the settings.  Is there a way to at least restore my older PS version so I can still use?  Thank you for your suggestions.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines