• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 839 Replies 839
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED IT.

I went to one version prior to this one. 

PLEASE ADOBE FIX THIS IN YOUR UPDATE. IT'S DUMB. 

I don't want to have to make 2 extra clicks and removing the word "copy" if I wanted to save a simple JPEG. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple broke this, so direct your anger at them. The change in Photoshop is the only possible workaround to the change in MacOS. The Windows version also had to be changed to maintain platform parity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know that. Still, the implementation could've been different. Also noted in other reply that adding "copy" to the file name is totally unnecessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, Save a Copy has not been removed nor has it been deleted.

In fact, it's back where it was in Photoshop 3. 

For anyone who's unclear on the change, here's Save your files in Photoshop from the up-to-date, free to access, Photoshop user guide:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html

It's very, very important to note that no one at Adobe controls operating system functionality for Windows, macOS, nor iOS (even when someone insists otherwise).

Also, for what it's worth, @na59973511, a little courtesy in the community goes a long way.  

Since the reason for the Save a Copy is getting missed or willfully getting ignored, I'm copying and pasting it below.  For Windows users who are genuinely upset and feel that "Adobe just doesn't listen", please skip the last sentence.

"Hi All, 

While not a new feature, the “Save a Copy” update was included in the “What’s New” notes for Ps 22.4 to notify users of the workflow change and highlight the new “Save a Copy” file dropdown option.  

This new save workflow is our current best solution to changes that were made to Mac OS since the release of 10.15. Photoshop relies on the operating system for the main operation of the open and save dialogs. Therefore, we have very little control over how they operate. Prior to the release of 10.15 we were able to control the filename text in the save dialog while the dialog was open. This also allowed Photoshop to safely combine the “Save As” and “Save a Copy” operations into one, enabling people to choose which way to go while the dialog was open. But starting with Catalina, we are no longer able to do that.  

In addressing the change in Mac OS functionality, we are now required to separate the “Save As” and “Save a Copy” operations and finalize the base filename before we present the save dialog. The “Save As” command still functions as it did before, only there is no longer a “Save a Copy” checkbox option to select in order to save to a format that would not fully preserve the document’s contents within the “Save As” dialog box. The new “Save a Copy” command now handles the previous “Save As” case where the “Save a Copy” checkbox option was checked.  

In addition to making the required changes for Mac OS, we implemented the changes for Windows users in order to maintain a consistent user experience across platforms. While this is a significant workflow change, it more closely aligns Photoshop with other Adobe product workflows, like Illustrator, that have also had to grapple with these operating system changes. We are currently investigating some options to allow Windows users to continue utilizing the prior Save As dialog behavior and will have more to share soon. 

Thanks, 

Noelle"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem too after last update and reverted to previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing to 'fix'. Use the 'Save a copy' menu rather than 'Save as' if you want to save a layered file as jpeg (which does not support layers). Adobe had to change this due to an Apple API that was removed, so this is how it will be from now on. Reading the 'What's new?' information before or after you update can clarify things like this.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well it could be fixed that it doesn't add copy to your file immediately. That would help immensely already. I'll just stick with older version now until there's an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An alternative is to use 'Export as' or 'Quick Export as'. If you stick to the older version until there's an alternative, then that might be the last version you'll ever use.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue except it leaves an annoying "-Edit" at the end of the filename. I can't figure out a solution as of yet. Maybe Capture One Pro is the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Christop65 wrote:

I'm having the same issue except it leaves an annoying "-Edit" at the end of the filename. I can't figure out a solution as of yet. Maybe Capture One Pro is the solution.

Apps like Lightroom (and perhaps also Capture One Pro) often do that. They normally also offer a way to change that.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrl + Alt + S will bring up the old Save function with all the options that Save As used to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ctrtl+Alt+S brings up "Save a copy"   "Shift+Ctrl+S" brings up Save As

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is useless because it adds 'copy' to the end of the file name

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am genuinely livid at this. Thanks Adobe for adding an extra step to something I need to do EVERY SINGLE IMAGE. 

You could have just added a pop-up with options for the mac users but no, you had to make everything worse for everyone. Well done. 

People saying its Apples fault...erm no its Adobe. Parity doesn't matter as it's not exact anyway. 

This is something that every user will have muscel memory trained into them because its been the same forever. Just rolling over and saying "suck it up" is ridiculous. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Parity doesn't matter..."

You mean it doesn't matter to you. It matters to those who use both operating systems or produce actions for both.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't matter because there are things that are different anyway in both versions. The modifier keys are different for a start! Way ot go for the sake of parity. It was laziness on Adobes part. Their fix was to change it for all users because they didn't want to do anything that required effort. 

Instread of changing something on the whim of the Apple minority, why not add a pop-up for Apple users instead of changing yet another lifelong muscle memory for the majority. 

How many PS users regulalry switch between Apple and Windows? This 'parity' is literally for their benefit only and it ruins everyone elses workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It was laziness on Adobes part."  So to avoid effort they changed and tested both versions.Don't be silly, laziness would be only changing one.

As for the "whim of Apple minority", the change was driven by an operating system change i.e by Apple. If an operating system no longer supports functions then an application has to change. No ifs no buts.

"it ruins everyone elses workflow." It doesn't ruin mine, and I am a Windows user who uses the software every day. In fact it makes a lot of sense. "Save As" if the file types supports the document content, "Save a Copy" if it does not. Simple.

However, if you are really upset about it, why not raise your issue with Adobe at the link below, which is monitored by Adobe staff,  rather than in this forum which is answered by users?

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly Adobe could turn PS into MS paint and you'd be fine with it becasue they can do no wrong, it seems.

I'm happy it didn't ruin your workflow but I have to use that function a great many times per day so it has been a disaster to my work flow, because, funilly enough - something being the same for the existence of the software suddenly changing will, in fact, ruin a great many work flows. Muscle memory is a cruel thing to mess with.

If something in a minority user OS changes, then change the software for that OS. No ifs no buts. It's absurd that you defend chaging it in Windows because something in Apples software changes. Change the key stroke command for Apple users! Not the rest of us. 

The percentage of users who use both on a daily basis must be a slither of a fraction - and all this mess is to apease them. 

Yes I will use that link thanks. Maybe the Adobe Support Community should be renamed as it gives the impression that it is moderated by Adobe, hense why so many angry people show up every broken release. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Clearly Adobe could turn PS into MS paint and you'd be fine with it"

No

"I have to use that function a great many times per day"

So do I

".....all this mess is to apease them. "

No, it also addresses some key "gotchas in the old Save/Save As process that resulted in users coming to these forums having lost work. For example, under the old way, Save As a PDF without compatibility and then, with the document still open and all your layers still there Save it as a PSD. The layers box was unchecked and unless you saw it, you lost your layers. That sort of mess has gone with the new Save a Copy.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not keep it as it is, but if someone chooses to save as a PDF a confirmation window pops-up asking if they defintely want to save as a PSD? Or just a warning saying that it will discard layers? That would have been a nice simple fix that only affecteds those who it affected. 

Why change it for everyone after its been the same for ever? Sorry but it's a terrible solution.

Now every single file saved as a 'copy' has "copy" automatically added to the end of the file name so it needs to be removed manually. Absurd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As explained earlier, Adobe could not keep it as it was, because Apple removed an API that Adobe used in the ' Save as' dialog. The result was a bug that occured in certain circumstances. You may not like how they chose to solve the problem, but they could not ignore the problem either.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple changed their APIs in Catalina. This resulted in many, well reported, complaints on these forums. Adobe had to change Photoshop to work with those APIs and introduced Save a Copy which sensibly separates file types which preserve document content from those that won't. 

Windows users were probably unaware of the issues that led to the change but became aware of the change itself when introduced. Whilst it could be argued that it is technically possible to run different save processes on Windows and Macs in reality this is not a viable option with users and organisations that use both platforms, and developers who make plug ins and actions.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'..we'll see what you guys do ......regarding your solution...'

Us guys will do nothing but explain it. This is a user forum. We are volunteer Photoshop users not Adobe employees.

You can raise feature requests at the link below , where they will be seen by Adobe staff.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that people are annoyed when all of a sudden their workflow needs to be changed, because Adobe fixed a bug that didn't affect them in the first place. I also understand that your first reaction is 'fix this, so I can use my old habits again'. Unfortunately, that is not going to happen, so complaining here in a user forum, and arguing with other users who simply try to explain why this happened, is pretty fruitless.

You could also use this as a moment to look at your old workflow and ask yourself if that could not have been improved anyway. If you work with a layered file, or with a 16 bits/color file, is saving a jpeg copy by using the 'Save as' dialog really the best workflow to begin with? Wouldn't 'Export as' (or 'Quick Export as') not be the better option anyway? A jpeg copy often needs to be sRGB (for example for using it on the internet, or for printing at a consumer printshop), but 'Save as' leaves the image in your current workspace, which could be AdobeRGB or ProPhotoRGB. 'Export as' on the other hand, includes the option to convert to sRGB at the same time. Just a thought...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, the more I consider this change, the more I like it.

Finally, after all these years, the save protocol is entirely consistent, up front and transparent. Not only are there no more hidden gotchas, they are not possible because the root cause of those gotchas has been removed.

And the root cause is that Photoshop allowed directly saving layered 16 bit files to formats that didn't support it. So you inevitably lost data, without warning. Experienced users knew this, of course, and took precautions. But a surprising number of users didn't, and got caught - and came here for help retrieving their lost work.

Everybody should keep in mind that originally, Photoshop would just refuse to save at all in these circumstances. How "annoying" was that? The ability to save a jpeg-copy-on-the-fly was added in CS4 or around that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines