• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 830 Replies 830
Participant ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are wrong.  This is something Adobe can do about it.  I bet if you open Microsoft Word saveas works the same as before.  This is really annoying also because it broke my actions that rely on saveas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@lvthunder wrote:

This is something Adobe can do about it. 

This is a user-to-user forum. If you think Adobe can do something about it and wish to tell the developers instead of volunteers who do not work for Adobe, use this link:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/save-as-formats-have-disappeared-photoshop-22... 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please please please, remove this stupid save as fonction!!!!

Time wasted, no one wants this!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with windows 10, so there must be no technical issue to brind it back, no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I work with windows 10, so there must be no technical issue to brind it back, no?"

Technical - no you are correct today - assuming that microsoft do not introduce the same security steps into the Windows OS. But, that would mean Photoshop menu items doing different things on the two platforms. So for the many users that use both platforms, organisations that use both, developers of actions and plug ins, diverging the platforms would create a new set of problems.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I was sure this kind of divergence will occure.

Too bad for us 😄 
I guess we'll get use to this, as we have no other choice.

Thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If users use different Operating System they should know how to use the OS and know which one they are currently using be it  Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, IOS, etc  When I code a Photoshop Script's and deals with Files selections I need to code a function for use on PC and a Second function  for use on a Mac.    Adobe has code for PC and has code for Mac in Photoshop.  Adobe should not force an Apple Mac work flow onto PC users. Adobe is not forcing a Mac work flow onto  iPad users.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack wrote:

Adobe is not forcing a Mac work flow onto  iPad users.

Adobe requires iPad users to auto-save psdc documents to the Cloud. In addition, users can export to these four formats: tiff, jpeg, png, and psd.

Currently Linux and Android are not in the mix.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quit wasting time! Get back to work! Just gripe once and move on. You are not getting paid if you are trolling here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a simple workaround. :sigh:

Open a file.

Action panel->New Action

Action panel->Insert menu item

Select File->Save a Copy menu item

Click Action panel->Stop recording button

Assign a function key to that action

This brings back the old functionality- you can save directly in any format, without "copy" appended to the filename.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, this sequence isn't working for me.

Action panel - > New Action == this works, I start up a new action

Action panel -> Insert menu item == it gives an error: Menu Item: None Selected. To record a menu item, select a menu item using the mouse.

If I then try to select File - Save a Copy it is greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the entire sequence of steps exactly as laid out above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must have a file open to record this action BTW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sono mesi che esiste un problema ENORME sul salvataggio dei file che si vuole SOVRASCRIVERE. Photoshop ti chiede se vuoi sostituire, gli dai ok e poi senza motivo aggiunge COPIA al nome dei file. Lo volete risolvere?? MI state creando una marea di problemi, di allungamento dei tempi e rischi di errore! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't care who messed up the save, the new method sucks badly, it needs to be put back as it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it is bad that Adobe changed every Photoshop Users work flow.  The change itself is not bad.   The  Change add some additional steps you need to do replace old Jpeg files.  However, the Change  only brakes some actions that could be batched from being able to be batched for the some action's Save As step become interactive and the users must use Save As button Save a Copy to save the file. 

The change added  "Save as Copy" which  is  prior  photoshop version "Save As" however it may add " copy" to the file name. The Actions can be edited and updated so they can once again be batched.   The Change does not brake Photoshop 2021 like the Line tool change  broke 22.0. 

ChangesSaveAs.jpg

Adobe has not finished the development of Photoshop 2021. Adobe has posted issues they have yet to address in  Photoshop 2021 because on changes being made by Apple  and Microsoft  to system graphics support. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html 

Adobe is still working on changing Photoshop GPU support supporting Apple's Metal and Microsoft's Direct X

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use a PDF to RIP workflow for everything we do. We save as 'Photoshop PDF' with Photoshop editing ability turned on. This change is awful, it slows us down and creates risk of overwriting the wrong file much higher.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Save a Copy overwrite your "Photoshop PDF" report it as a problem at https://feedback.photoshop.com/    overwriting is now a copy

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just reinforces my decision to stay with PS 2020 and Mojave for the forseeable future. I can only hope that Apple will rethink their security decisions like they have in the past for the betterment of 3rd party developers and users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden Photoshop cc 22.4.1 saves all my jpegs as a copy. I can't just save it as jpeg. 

Yes i flattened the image and yes I save at 8bit. I have done nothing different from what I've done in the past. This seems to be a bug.

PLEASE Adobe give me an answer to this frustrating issue.  

working on a Mid 2015 Macbook pro OS 10.14.6 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop while trying to save Jpegs. With the latest version, the Save as work flow has changed & now the formats that preserve your file structure (layers) appear under Save As while the formats that do not preserve the file structure appear under the new open "Save a copy". For more details, you can check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html#save-a-copy

You can also check: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-224-save-as-formats-have-disappeare...

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Save As" now lists only the formats that support all the current properties of the file. All other formats, with limited support, are now moved to "Save A Copy".

Apple removed the API that allowed Photoshop to strip "-copy" from the filename. With the new API, Photoshop is forced to finalize the filename before entering the Save dialog. That filename has to contain "-copy", because it is a copy. If it wasn't a copy, your original file would have to be overwritten as a flat 8 bit file to satisfy the jpeg specification.

To be clear, it is not possible to remove "-copy" since Catalina, regardless of what Adobe might do or want. This is not a bug or mistake, but a deliberate security policy from Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the new version of photoshop2021 has updated the way to save the file in jpg extension. where the process now needs to be saved as a copy, and for those who work with many files at the same time it needs to be renamed all the time.
instead of improving the process you guys got worse, the old version is better and much more functional. think about it and correct it please

{Thread title edited by moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble due to the changes in the Save As workflow is Photoshop 2021. Please check out the conversation about this change here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-224-save-as-formats-have-disappeare...

You can also share your feedback & suggestions regarding this change, directly with our product team by posting it on this thread.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you this is a poor decision on the Adobe Team to not correct this ASAP, and change the standard across all Adobe apps to keep filenames concise and consistent.

Try one of the other option

File >> Export As then choose jpg

File >> Save for Web

If you do complex .psds where one .file can many many versions try

File >> Export >> Layer Comps To Files
You need layer comps for that not to be greyed out, but this is something Adobe did do well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines