• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 839 Replies 839
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2023 Jul 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need to keep in mind that the way Photoshop was handling these formats had, over time, become uncommon in other software. The “new” way Photoshop translates features to non-native formats is now much more consistent with how many other graphics applications work, including other Adobe apps.

The common practice in graphics applications, and many Adobe and Mac applications, is that if a format can save all features native to that application, the format is in Save As. But if a format can’t preserve application native features, that format is generally listed as an export or Save a Copy format, not a Save As format.

So, the way Photoshop works now should actually be familiar, and not confusing at all, to those who regularly use a number of modern applications. Because that’s pretty much how things work now generally. It also means that if someone is sufficiently unhappy with this change to Photoshop that they decide to switch to the competition, in most cases they will find the competition has already been working this way for years, with no “legacy” option to put a format like JPEG in Save As.

It seems like Photoshop was able to get away with the old way until Apple forced their hand by more formally building modern format handling into the macOS save code.

So although it means we end up having to file this under the long list of “things that worked differently a quarter of a century ago” (which applies to a lot of things in life, even outside computers), what it also means is Photoshop was simply getting caught up with the rest of the world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sung3217474409y5 

If you wanted us to examine your screenshot and figure out your question, I think it's that you are missing the control for "Default File Location"

Either you have an earlier version of PS and need to upgrade

or

You need to reset your Preferences

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

If I made the wrong guess, please clarify.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct guess. This caught me off guard when I was in a hurry. Thank you, Jane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since JPG and PNG have been downgraded to be saved as "Save As A Copy" I continuously see myself doing extra unnecessary clicks. By bringing them back into the "Save As" section, I can save numerous versions when working on a file much faster.

The "Save As A Copy" is in my opinion a real downgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can revert to the old behaviour by going to Preferences>File Handling and checking Enable legacy "Save As"

Edit>Preferences>FileHandling (Windows)

Photoshop 2024>Settings (Preferences)>File Handling (Mac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is brilliant, thanks, Jeff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incredibly frustrating! I don't understand WHY Adobe feels the need to constantly fix things that aren't broken. I do not have time to learn updates every time I open an app. If it were some radical new improvement or feature, that's one thing, but changing basic things like being able to quickly save a file in a format like you have done a zillion times before is just another time-wasting and (probably) uneccasary step. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are counter-arguments/reasons, if you care to look, but in the meantime as Jeff posted:
You can revert to the old behaviour by going to

Settings > File Handling and checking Enable legacy "Save As"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand. Thank you for the help with this, Derek! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is incredibly frustrating! I don't understand WHY Adobe feels the need to constantly fix things that aren't broken.

By @Todd364084029dg9

When other companies change their APIs, Adobe has no choice but to make changes. In this particular case, Apple changed their API. Details are in other posts in this thread.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand WHY Adobe feels the need to constantly fix things that aren't broken.

By @Todd364084029dg9

This discussion has made it clear that this change had nothing to do with Adobe.

Apple changed the behaviour of its operating system so Adobe had to respond to keep things working in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many times has that happened?!  I seem to be quoting Chis Cox a lot today, but I remember him telling us that Apple constantly made changes to IOS that broke Photoshop.  Do you remember the path visibility issue when they were so hard to see against certain tones and hues?  Chris said they could not do anything to improve it because of the (implied non standard) way blend modes worked in IOS.  Plus you only need to look at all the 'Known Issues with ...' pages for every IOS major version change.  I think, but could not swear to it, that Chris also said that the Development team always used OS Libraries APIs etc., legitimately/legally, but I wouldn't put my money on that being true.  If they could speed up a function by taking shortcuts, I can't help but think that they would do just that.

Hmmm...  Now I've said that, it seems unlikely that they would dig holes for themselves, because of the likelyhood of things breaking at the next major OS update.  Yep.  Ipso facto.  Apple are a right shower — case proven.  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now I've said that, it seems unlikely that they would dig holes for themselves

By @Trevor.Dennis

Actually, that's just what they did  - but not in the way people think.

Direct save to jpeg was introduced in CS5 in 2010, to a considerable amount of fanfare. Boy, what a big hole that turned out to be. How they must regret that now that Apple made it impossible.

Up until and including CS4, you couldn't save to jpeg at all, unless the file was 8 bit, flat, with no transparency or alpha channels. You just couldn't! And that's how every other application still works. If they had just done nothing in 2010, everything would have been business as usual and nobody would have ever complained.

People's memories are really short.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines