• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 839 Replies 839
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Eugene Tyson  Ahh - I apologise for misreading it 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still can't believe there's not a better way to implement export to different file formats. 

It should be far easier. 

I don't want to save a copy. I want my file to be the PDF format - not PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is that PDF is in Save a Copy because it does not guarantee to preserve the elements of your file. The options you choose later decide that (editability, downsampling etc). The issue that Adobe faced was that on Macs they had to choose the full filename before entering the Mac API for saving. The Windows version was changed to keep the two platform versions in alignment. Divergence leads to further issues down the line with users who use both or develop plug and actions.

The article here explains a bit more : https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Dave - I don't agree. 

I think Adobe can implement it better. 

Save a copy is poor - adds COPY to the filename - why? I don't want that in the filename.

It simply be File>Export and choose your export format - then your settings.

Now - it's forcing  you to say - make a few changes to a jpeg - add a layer - and simply want to save the jpeg again. But there's forced behaviour in wanting you to save a PSD file with it ---- why? You always have to save a copy?

I don't want copies of files all over the computer/server. 

This needs to be simplified by Adobe - and Apple should be ashamed of themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't seem to understand the limitations of the jpeg file format specification.

Jpeg does not support layers of any kind, 16 bit depth, transparency or alpha channels.

So it has to be a copy, with those properties removed.

What's new this time, is that MacOS no longer allows Photoshop to strip "-copy" from the file name. No, it's simply not possible since Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree. Read the article and it explains why copy is added, when information could be overwritten. The part that Adobe had a choice in was whether to keep parity between Mac and Windows. They chose to maintain this parity and understandably upset some Windows users. If they had chosen not to maintain it then they would upset organisations that use both systems along with developers of actions and plug ins. Lose or lose.

In your scenario of the jpeg  that you describe, where you don't want to keep the layers and you want to overwrite the original - just flatten it and press Ctrl+S the jpeg is overwritten, with no name change and your layers are gone. Or flatten it and press Alt+Ctrl+S and you can give it a new name and location.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with this. I can live with the new "Save a Copy" button. But I
don't want my filename auto-populated with anything. And I know that is a
fix that is doable and that doesn't depend on the Apple OS. So at the
very least, please remove that functionality. Let the user decide how they
want to name their files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Idon't want my filename auto-populated with anything. And I know that is afix that is doable and that doesn't depend on the Apple OS.

By @geigreg

I don't know how many times I have to say this over and over. Here goes again:

MacOS does not allow removing "-copy" from the filename.

Are we all perfectly clear on that now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is also some precedent in Microsoft Windows...

Any time you copy a file in Windows File Explorer, and then paste it into the same folder, you automatically get " - Copy" added to the filename, just before the file extension.

Then you can click to rename the copy if/as desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is also some precedent in Microsoft Windows...

By @ProDesignTools

Absolutely, and we shouldn't be surprised if Windows eventually adopts the same policy that is causing the present situation in MacOS. There may well be good security reasons for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Eugene Tyson wrote:

I meant from Apple point of view to change their OS

Not stupidity, I think they were well aware of what they were doing. It's a security policy, and as such it's their prerogative.

The real problem is that Apple has grown too big. They are the Saudi Aramco of consumer electronics (and very nearly as profitable), and they can do whatever the heck they want. Make no mistake, Apple is almost a government.

That they still manage to project a "hipster" image is slightly incredible, but another discussion... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple made the change for security reasons. Save dialogs now run in their own sandbox and that makes them less likely to be manipulated by malware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time I come here to understand why there is a change like that ! It is an horrible decision (!!!), and is it possible to add an option and come back to the old version ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can step back to an older version of Photoshop. You cannot revert the current version to the old behaviour, because of the reasons explained in this thread.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should back this change forcing version's onto users on Mac and PC is not what users want. They want to be able to update/replace their current image.  Windows user don't want, Mac don't want - forced versions. I'm sure Steve J is laughing in his grave.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the update 22.4.0, many of my save options are missing.

Example 1: When I save a finished .psd, I normally save a TIFF without layers. The box to uncheck "layers" is missing. Now I can only save as a layered TIFF; which in turn, doesn't save the most current changes made to the file.

Example 2: The save as a JPEG is totally gone; including, everything except PSD, PSB, and TIFF.

I looked in Preferences, but cannot find anything that could effect the save dialog window.

I normally save with this shortcut: (Ctrl + Shift + S) which brings up the Save Window with all its options. I've been doing it this way for at least 8 years.

Please advise!

Thank you,

Julius Titak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Adobe Photoshop has a new "Save a Copy" . Adobe should have kept  "Save  As" as it was and added a "Save Your Work" instead of  a "Save a Copy" that was "Save As" function  now "Save As"  is a "Save Your Work".  You have to edit your actions that use "Save As" if the "Save As" step was not recorded to save your layered. That Step will turn into an Interactive "Save As" PSD for your convenience A do be added a "Save a Copy..." Button to the "Save As" dialog so you can use it to switch to "Save a Copy"  then the Action can save the Jpeg your Action was recorded to do.  "Save As" can only save a Jpeg if you flatten your document first. So you  can add flatten in the actions before the "Save As" step  then after the "Save As" step back up in history to recover your layer.  That action will work in all versions of Photoshop not just 22.4

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Save As dialog now only shows formats that support all the current properties of the file.

Actually it makes perfect sense when you think about it. "Save" means saving the current state of the file. If you decide to throw out some of the file content for specific purposes, you save out a copy.

Anyway, Apple broke this and since they didn't want to change it, Adobe had no option but to work around it. So, Save A Copy is that workaround. It lets you directly save to all other formats, while leaving the original. To maintain platform parity, the Windows version was changed too.

This reverts to how Photoshop originally worked - only then you didn't even have Save A Copy. If you, for instance, wanted to save a layered file as jpeg, you simply couldn't, there was no way - for the simple reason it's not allowed in the jpeg specification. You had to get rid of all the offending properties before you could save.

The ability to directly save a jpeg-copy-on-the-fly was introduced sometime around CS4. But with Catalina, that function didn't work properly anymore (as evidenced by about a million threads over the last year or so), hence this necessary change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe saving a Photoshop PDF image file save all your Photoshop document layer so you can edits Photoshop PDF Image file in Photoshop.  Why do I not see Photoshop PDF in Save As.  I have seen users reporting PDF is missing in Save As.   Apple Change their file system.  Apple did not brake Photoshop.  Adobe should have added a fix Photoshop to work with with Apple changed file system.   Instead of doing that  Adobe added versions "Save a Copy" to Photoshop and  introduces a compatibility issue in Photoshop Save As  feature.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly right, Julius. This a hassle for me too.  Sure they can change their SW however they like, but it makes no sense to add steps to an already tedious process.  Leave the "Save as" dialog as it has been for years.  More and more, I am shying away from Adobe as they seem to cater to some and not all.  BOOOOOOOOOO!  Bad update,  I rejected it five minutes after I updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you even read the post directly above yours?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and I don't particularly appreciate being surprised.  The explanation above was no clearer than my trying to figure it all out without an explanation from Adobe.  What I saw was Click "Save As" from the "File" drop-down menu, then check the "save a copy" option, then choose from another drop-down list - more steps.  Since I immediately uninstalled the latest revision to get back to what I was used to and like very much, It wasn't until today that I saw the "Save a copy" dialog in the "File"  drop-down menu when I re-installed the latest version.

Be clearer, Mr. Preofessional!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit of a follow-up to my previous rant.  I checked the "save a copy" box for one image and got the "jpeg" and all other save options back in the list.  Thinking I would still have to do that for every image, I tried a new one and all save options are still there without having to check the "save a copy" box.  Not sure if this will hold true for every set of images, but if so, it's not as bad as I thought.  They still could have notified us of the change and the workaround.

Signed - 

The Hothead. 🙄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OOF!  I'm losing it,  I based that last comment on the previous version.  I will reload the new version and try again.  Sorry for the misinformation.

Tepid head

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll repeat the core of my post above:

The Save As dialog now only shows formats that support all the current properties of the file. If you decide to throw out some of the file content for specific purposes, you Save A Copy.

As for why, read the rest of the post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines