• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 839 Replies 839
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps a practical example will help.

If I start a new 8 bit document and go to Save As, most file formats will appear including PSD/TIFF and JPEG.

However if I do any of the following :

- Add another layer

- Change the bit depth to 16 bit

- Crop and leave "delete cropped pixels unchecked"

...........etc

If I now use Save As I will only see the formats that support those changes (layers/16 bits/hidden pixels) i.e. PSD/PSB/TIFF. If I want to use JPEG, which does not support those features, then I will need to use Save a Copy - recognising that the copy will lose those additional items and be a flattened 8 bit copy.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition, I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something in the Preferences, etc. that could be changed.

Julius Titak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem, I only have 3 save options to save a file. I have nothing vhange since months, las night was ok, this morning is not working. 

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read through the thread before posting. File formats that do not support all the content of your image document can still be used but will appear in Save a Copy.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point still remains and is valid that Adobe decided to cater to a small group of users while letting the rest of us go fish without any explanation of why it was made or how the change works.

Communication is critical if you're going to take my money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The user base for Photoshop is about 50/50 Win/Mac. If something is broken for 50% of the users, that's not a small group. They have to do something about it.

Save As jpeg was completely broken on the Mac side since Catalina, caused by changes in MacOS that they couldn't work around. The avalanche of complaints was simply an untenable situation.

If you've been using Photoshop for a while, I'd like to remind you that this is how Photoshop worked up until CS4. If you wanted to save a layered file as jpeg, you simply couldn't. There was no way to save it until you removed all the offending properties from the file. There wasn't even Save A Copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction: I looked it up, and Save As jpeg for 16 bit/layered files was added in CS5.

So up to and including CS4, everybody's workflows were broken and they could't get any work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙂 🙂 I knew there was a reason I wasn't productive back then !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah. People's memories are short. It's like the weather: two days of rain, and it always rains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In all this saving discussion though, what I would like to see is the option to automatically increment filenames with a version number at each save i.e filename v001, filname v002, filename v003 etc. If the version number could be stored in the metadata as well as being added to the filename, even better.  But that's for a feature request.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent idea, until MacOS 11.2 breaks it and all hll breaks loose again 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a Mac problem.  Should have fixed Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They did fix Mac - but then the changes were made to Photoshop on both platforms to keep them aligned. Alignment between the two versions (Mac and Windows) of Photoshop has been the case for a long time and is important to the users who use both and to plug in/action developers.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you are calling a fix is not really a fix. 

I absolutely hate how it's been implemented. It's so unintuitive and a curse from a UI perspective. 

Save a Copy is ridiculous. I don't want copies of files all over the computer. 

I just want to File>Export and pick the format.

That's a lot more intuitive and in line with how InDesign handles it.

And Illustrator should have the same - Illustrator is a pain in my arse when it comes to making a PDF. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a follow-up to my previous rant, I admit I should have read more to comprehend what Adobe did.  At first blush, it looked like I had to add more steps to my workflow, which will never sit right with me.  

This is NOT the case.  From the "File" drop-down menu, instead of choosing "Save As," choose "Save a copy," and all the file formats that we used to find in the "Save as" dialog are now in "Save a Copy" instead.  That's okay with me, although I don't really want the longer name for each of my files "filename_001copy.jpg".  

I still think Adobe should have explained this better, so hotheads like myself don't get their feathers ruffled for no good reason.  Ahem!

Thanks to all who tried to soothe my angst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MKHurder Nice post - not many would have made it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I am sticking by my annoyance with this issue. I have to edit and update vast amounts of photos and I use multiple layers in the same document to ensure that my products are all the same size. Not being able to turn off the layers I don't need and just hit SAVE AS as I've been doing for years is dumb. Saving a copy is not doable, because I frankly don't have the time to update 2k+ photos to remove "copy' or rename files with complicated model names

There was nothing wrong with the way the original save system worked. I understand this is an apple issue, but you can't just drop a huge backslide on PC users, especially when adobe likes to update itself automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultqabxrrskt0pb wrote:

Sorry but I am sticking by my annoyance with this issue. 

This is a user to user support forum. Your annoyance will fall on deaf ears; we can't do anything about it.

To provide feedback and suggestions about what you desire from Adobe, you should go here and comment after selecting the appropriate product:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/categories/products/5f5f2090785c1f1e6cc40864

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, for some reason as of last week. My computer or photoshop is not letting me save in any other file format other than: Photoshop (.PSD), Large Document Format (.PSB) and TIFF (.TIFF).

Whether im saving a photoshop file as a JPEG or PNG file, i have to Flatten all layers before i can save as any other file type. regardless if saving a RGB or CMYK file to anything, as long as i have layers i cannot save as anything else.

before, if i wanted to just save a JPEG, it would flatten the image for me then...

Can Anyone Help?

dominicg19108397_0-1621495602742.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, it is a new so called "feature", but I will call it a "bug". This is just not right... They must give us back save us option as it was before.

BR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's because the API that allowed stripping "-copy" from the file name was removed by Apple. The new API does not allow it. This isn't a bug, it's a deliberate policy decision from Apple.

As a consequence, directly saving out a jpeg copy from 16 bit/layered data, without "-copy" appended to the filename, was no longer possible on Mac.

The only possible way around it was to move all formats that required making a copy, to the new Save A Copy command. The Windows version had to be changed too, to maintain platform parity.

The ability to directly save 16 bit/layered files to jpeg/png/PDF etc - formats that don't support it - was introduced in Photoshop CS5 in 2010. Prior to that, it was not possible at all. You had to first remove all file properties that were not supported in the file format, then you could save. Most people seem to have forgotten that.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/macos.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer, but I do not agree. Now I must do more clicks, delete "copy" in filename, it is simply slowing me down. And I am not alone for sure...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don’t agrre with what? 

That Macintosh made a change? That the saving options were changed in CS5? 

You may want to look into Scripting to streamline your Photosop saving-of-copies processes. 

How many different formats and settings are you likely to use in a typical day? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto!

This method of "saving" in an alternative format is a real pain!

Hopefully Adobe will offer a short cut or alternative in the next update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on windows also. who cares about mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines