• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 839 Replies 839
Explorer ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't explain why the folder location doesn't remain though, that was the most time consuming part for me. I want to save the new file in the same location as the file I was editting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CMD42187 

If you want to leave a message for Adobe, you can do that here where the developers will see it:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/save-as-formats-have-disappeared-photoshop-22... 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as formats gone! painful to use copy as dialog... just added layer of work for me.

I downgraded back to earlier version life is better.

Please give us incremental numbering saving option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on the posts of my work in PS, I just update today, but I can't save in JPG or PNG format, and I have to save on that formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe have change how the Save As function works in version 22.4, so assuming you're on that version take a look here.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not be more frustrated. Adobe released a new version of Photoshop, and it will no longer save as PDF. I'm in the middle of a major publishing job. What am I supposed to do?

Adobe didn't even give us a warning or a choice. VERY bad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

This is not a bug in the application, it’s a new workflow for saving files through Photoshop designed by the developers. You may share your feedback here directly with our product team here: 
https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/save-as-formats-have-disappeared-photoshop-22... 

You may also check more information about what's new in the latest update of Photoshop here: 
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html 

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto. It can't be a major programming challenge to be able to save out to
any file format without a "copy" appended in the dialogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We should be able to save to any format without "copy" appended to the filename. Basic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's "basic" here is that you cannot save data to a format that doesn't support it. 16 bit and layered files cannot be saved to jpeg/png/pdf etc, without first making a flattened 8 bit copy.

Either way, the jpeg/png/pdf etc will be a copy, and it always was. Adobe just came up with a clever scheme to make a copy that didn't appear to be a copy. This was a workaround. It was introduced in Photoshop CS5 in 2010, as a "convenience" feature.

This changed with MacOS Catalina, in which it was no longer possible to pass a copy off as an original file. The operating system didn't allow it, and flagged the copy for what it was.

In other words, the Photoshop workaround from 2010 didn't work anymore. This was a fait accompli. Adobe didn't change it, they responded to a change that had already happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got off of a call with an Adobe person and they suggested using Export.  I did, and it has solved 95% of my issues with this.  Hopefully Adobe will still make some changes, but for right now I am OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow thank God I ran into this thread. I've also had trouble saving in any other format and I was getting frustrated. I saw that "Save a Copy" was a new button but I didn't click it because it's not intuitive. I wish they clear that up. Or at least announce it more explicitly. Thank you to peeps who answered this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in the release announcement

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday i could save as PDF and now i can't - is this a bug or was it done on purpose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since 22.4, if your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel or hidden pixels etc) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy command. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned.
In the case of PDF it will appear in Save a Copy as the dialogues that follow allow elements of the file to be lost (e.g. downsampling or not keeping editability)

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How often do you estimate you have posted that information in the last couple of days? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot - thank heavens for Macros 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I converted all assets and layers in my file to 32 bit and I still cannot save as (both through the drawdown menu and keyboard) and still nothing happens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Save a Copy 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so I selected save as copy and pdf became available.  This is different than before the update but at least i can do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wish Adobe would quite trying to fix what is not broken to start with. Now I must constatly click into file save as name and delete the '.copy' before hitting save. Sorry, this is a PIA, not a fix to any problem. For the bone heads out there who cannot understand how to save their work, maybe you could create a video tutorial or something else without messing up the workflow users have grown used to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The change was made to overcome a well reported issue that has existed on Macs since Catalina. It was caused by Apple in the operating system and Adobe had no choice but to change Photoshop. It could be argued that Windows did not need to change but both versions were changed, in order to keep them aligned. If they diverged different workflows would be required and actions would not be transportable.

It actually makes a lot of sense - if the file type preserves your document content - Save As, if it does not preserve all content -Save a Copy.

If you want a jpeg without 'Copy' added then you could Export.

To keep it in context, up to CS5 saving as jpeg required flattening and conversion to 8 bit before saving. There was no direct route. Somehow we managed though.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which is exactly the reason I refuse to update OS software until it is absolutley neccessary. I'm happily still working on Mojave, and avoiding what ever bugs Catalina tossed into the mix. I guess I should have been more hesitent to update PS as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe while you all at Adobe are busy fixing things, you could make this anoying 'could not export to clipboard' message go away. Or mabye Adobe could force you all to work 10 hour days using the product prior to being able to tinker on the code...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines