• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 830 Replies 830
Community Expert ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What you're proposing is a major rewrite of Photoshop. Probably building a native Save dialog that circumvents the OS limitations."

Circumventing the operating system is not really practical. These days, our applications are expected to work alongside other open applications, and processes, and not crash when another application goes to read or write whilst ours is doing the same. That is the job of the operating system.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right. That's my thinking too - just trying to be positive 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the most infuriating workflow changes today, please revert ASAP

I am sick and tired of navigating to the location twice because evrytime i forget to "save a copy" i have to click the "save a copy" and the navigating starts all over again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@PimVibe wrote:

One of the most infuriating workflow changes today, please revert ASAP

This is a user to user support forum. Your request is in a vacuum.
To provide feedback and suggestions about what you desire from Adobe, you should go here and comment after selecting the appropriate product:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/categories/products/5f5f2090785c1f1e6cc40864

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similiar issues. Old psd files have been reduced to 3 'save as' options. In new projects save as still gives me all the old ones. Those from 'save as' are now in 'save copy as'.(didnt 'save as' work exactly like 'save a copy as'?) Why do we need 3 options to save a file, four even with export. Come on adobe...photoshop runs slower and slower and this are the things you decide to fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Dominik5E88 

When the OS changes, it requires the software to adapt. See the expanation here:

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not running on mac. But thanks for a reply.
~ Dom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dominik5E88 wrote:

Not running on mac. But thanks for a reply.
~ Dom

Hi Dom,

You're welcome.

When Apple made changes to the API and broke the Save As in Photoshop, the developers were left to find a fix that was cross-platform. They would have found a cross-platform solution if Microsoft had changed the API in Windows  (or does so in the future.)

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It best for Window users to keep using  version of Photoshop prior to version 22.4 when you switch to a Mac you should update to 22.4+

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My file size is 11x17 inches, 84 pixels, 1425 x 921 px and 5M.    The layers have been flattened. Save as pdf is not available as an option.  Is this file too large?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop. Have you updated Photoshop to the latest version (22.4.1)? If yes, then please try using the option to Save a Copy instead of Save As to save the document as PDF.

For more info, please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the new Save options discussed here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/need-to-save-as-copy-in-order-to-save-as-jpeg-why/td-p/1205...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I swear that Adobe is trying to ween me off of using Photoshop...

So, I routinely build artwork, then save it as a .psd and then save it AGAIN as a .jpg for social media and the like.

But with this last update I noticed that my Save As dialogue box only gives me .psd and .TIFF options... in order to actually save as a Jpg I have to click the "Save As" box (in the SAVE AS Dialog box, by the way) and save it as *Copy.jpg and rename it BACK to *.jpg

I have zero idea why saving as a Jpg has been removed from the Save As dialog and now needs to be saved under the Save As/Save As dialog box (with the insistance to add "Copy" to it)...

What is going on?  There have been a number of changes made recently which ADDED steps to everyones workflow...  I almost had to ditch Photoshop after the Line tool changed...  Did Adobe fire their UX/UI folks? 

Can we please bring back the original Save As dialogue box?  Or at least bring back the various file formats?   I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but those two extra steps are enough to drive me crazy when I have to make jpgs out of 263 master psds.  This makes it a week long job instead of a 2 day job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble due to the changes to the Save As workflow after the recent Photoshop update. Please check out the conversation about this change here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-224-save-as-formats-have-disappeare...

You can also leave a comment on the thread with your feedback & suggestions about this change.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Aabh wrote:

What is going on?  

Can we please bring back the original Save As dialogue box?

Whats going on has been explained multiple times here and as such, the answer to your 2nd question is: probably no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new "Save a Copy" option does nothing to improve work flow - if anything it has slowed down and the automatic "copy" added to the name of the file is not needed.

The keyboard short keys do NOT work for this new prompt.  This was an unneccessary "improvement" It needs to be removed and returned to the previous options. Or at the absolutely least the "copy" should be cleared from the file name and the keyboard shortcut keys need too work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The keyboard shortcuts work here. Have you reassigned those shortcuts in your operating system to other functions?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue and has been addressed - it's a Mac OS issue and Adobe made Windows behave the same way for consistency. We all agree the new workflow sucks. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It not meant to improve your work flow it meant to change your work flow to be like you using Apple changed system  operation. Photoshop operation has been changed.  You may run into some compatibility issues with your old Actions some may become interactive. Save As has been change and Save a Copy version added.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey i recently rest my computer and have Mojave 10.14.6 installed and the latest versions of photoshop.  This is my fir time experience the save as copy function which is terrible btw.   But right now whenever i save files like PSD or tiff files it is not saving them with extensions.  Anyone kow how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same on Mojave, not sure if it's a Mojave or Photoshop bug on Mojave, what happens is that the entire filename including the extension is highlighted so when you start typing your new filename during the save you end uo saving a file without the extension, most annoying. I went back to High Sierra and CC 2019 and have zero problems anymore especially I still have the old save functions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously. This is annoying (profanity removed by moderator).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only options Photoshop 24.4.1 gives me when I go to "save as" is .tiff, .psd file and Large Document Format. I have been saving .jpg's and .psd fand .pdf iles as .jpgs for years from "save as". It used to give me about seven or eight options. This started happening right after I tried saving a file as large document format, the first time I ever tried to do that. I am on Mac OS 11.2.1. This started happening before the last update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest update, I am no longer able to save psds as jpgs, pngs, etc. I have to flatten the file and then save as a jpg. This is a pretty easy way to accidentally save a layered psd as a flat file when you go to close it out and it asks if you want to save any changes. Please fix this adobe, it's really annoying.

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 11.30.28 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Leanne5CE2 

You can still save a jpegs, etc.,  from a PSD.
When Apple made changes to the API and broke the Save As in Photoshop, the developers were left to find a fix that was cross-platform. Choose File > Save a Copy (not Save As) to be able to save a JPEG. 

Details here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html#save-a-copy 

https://petapixel.com/2021/05/18/photoshops-save-as-function-has-changed-on-mac-heres-why/ 

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines