• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2021 Black Screen Flickering while editing on Windows 10 [2021] [LOCKED]

Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is about Photoshop 2021 and is not about 24.3.
It is now locked. Please start a new thread.

Photoshop is flickering to black when i do almost anything, pen tool or camera raw fliter or move the canvas.

I have latest Windows 10 and the latest Nvida drivers for my 2080 super, 

This issue has been going on for weeks. I have been looking at the fourms for just as long tried many solutions but nothing seem to work could use help on this.

I have to use my MacBook for the past few weeks. really annoyed that I cant use my workstation Pc for photoshop right now

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

So figured this one out, 

1) uninstalled everything GeForce and Nvidia

2) reinstalled driver and Nvidia control panel

3) added photoshop to control panel and make sure  it all revert back to defaults

this seemed to fix it 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We're sorry about the trouble with Photoshop due to the screen flickering. Would you mind telling us the exact version of Photoshop you're using?

You can try enabling the option to Deativate Native Canvas from Photoshop by going to Preferences, then Technology Previews. Once done, quit & relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

Let us know how it goes!

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this issue with photoshop flickering and freezing up for a few months and have tried many different solutions to fix it! I finally ran across the deactiving Native Canvas solution suggested by Adobe employee nikuji.m and it seems to have worked! I have used Photoshop as part of my workflow for many years, and the past few month have been quite frustrating to work around with all of the freezing the program had been doing. I started using other programs to get the job done. I'm quite releaved this may have solved the issue, and I can get back to using the program I know so well! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please explain how the fix works? Because I have similar problems and no clue about what I'm looking for with native canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2022 Apr 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! Tried to fix flickering screen on my Windows 10 (PS 2022, latest nVidia drivers) for about 6 months. And deativating native canvas helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had a same issue - Deactivating Native canvas worked 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using 22.5.0 

So it kept from happening as often, but still happens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, try disabling GPU in the preferences (Preformance tab). Any better?
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2021 Sep 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So figured this one out, 

1) uninstalled everything GeForce and Nvidia

2) reinstalled driver and Nvidia control panel

3) added photoshop to control panel and make sure  it all revert back to defaults

this seemed to fix it 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution for me was to go into the advanced GPU settings in Photoshop and turn OpenCL off. My guess is that OpenCL, being commonly associated with CUDA, was causing some sort of conflict. Keep in mind that my monitor is G-Sync enabled, which is the culprit. If I turned G-Sync off, the flickering went away. However, that's not optimal. The OpenCL trick solved it for me. 

This may not work for you, but for others experiencing very annoying black screen microsecond flickering problems when doing anything in Photoshop, this could be your go-to fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"commonly associated with AMD" I should have said. CUDA is the Nvidia alternative. Normally it doesn't matter if these two play together, but I guess there are exceptions to every rule.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines