• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 666 Replies 666
666 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can install Photoshop perfectly with a program called Crossover.

This program uses libraries from WINE, a windows non-emulator, and allows cross-platform play.

Here is a guide to install Photoshop on linux: https://sick.codes/arch-linux-photoshop-cc-2018-2019-working/

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WINE is good, but you can install Photoshop perfectly and it runs good using Crossover for linux.

Crossover is better than WINE itself, and better than PlayOnLinux. It's not free, but you can extend the trial as many times as you want over and over again.

Here is a guide to install Photoshop CC 2018/2019 on Linux https://sick.codes/arch-linux-photoshop-cc-2018-2019-working/

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 16, 2019 Aug 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, please work on this. I get a work license for CC but I would almost buy my own subscription just for Linux support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2019 Aug 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Linux User and I paid for adobe subscription, when are we going to be heard? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Macintosh is obviously dying, cause their overprized mid-end-hardware and a fair but useless support. Apfs is going to break a lot of opened proyects and people is swichting to windows massively.

Im not, Iḿ a ujser of Linux & mac  since 00' . I left mac cause the improvements of linux are leaving these systems well above mac, both in performance and customization. With  a lot of color managment tools, Krita, Darktable,.rawtherapee, imagemagick, the powerful but crazy unusable GUI GIMP, thereally powerful image compress tools (Guizly, mozjpeg), blender, Davinci resolve....

Nividia supports officialy linux and bsd drivers.

with the creation of memdisk, caching ram and ssd-nmve tools, raidz, Vlm and zfs... a basic 2010 pc beats easily an actual mac. Specially thje great power black trash i can early 2019.

Think about adobe Intel is linux friendly, microsoft is linux friendly, Windows is going to linux, he's gestating a little Linus Torwalds JR. kernel inside, and porting all drivers to GNU plattform.

Look at Davinci, Itś not free, and is a nitro-powered ferrari beating all benchmarks of premiere, Final cut, Avid... of course, in Linux/BSD systems. (mine is FreeBSD, cause native ZFS, solid as a rock and as fast as you want). Adobe, look at present  😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been waiting for years for Adobe to start Linux support and I am sick of waiting anymore. I will start switching to Linux software for my editing needs and keep my subscription to adobe cc on the side for now. But as soon as I get the hang of these programs I will be canceling my subscription. I feel like Adobe is just not listening here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to ad my vote for Adobe to port all CC apps to Linux. ASAP.  I am a long time Adobe user who is eager to jump to Linux. and considering doing so without Adobe. I think I am one of many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since you already fully support Android (linux) I guess it's time for Adobe to finally accept Linux as a legitimate OS and start supporting it via CCloud.

I wouldn't think twice if PS and LR would be supported natively in Linux. Do you know how many Linux users long for your programs and keep Windows boot only to run Adobe apps? 😕

Every other company out there got some sort of linux support, even Steam built their port and actively makes Proton, granting access to majority of their Windows-native games with close to zero performance penalties. Something like that wasn't possible not so long ago!

And oh - DaVinci app is there! Need we say more?!

Come on guys, it's 2020 almost. It's time! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Old post, so I would like to add my share.

Maybe back in 2017 this answer might've been somewhat correct, but it is not entirely accurate as there are options available.

See here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/viewing-layers-on-adobe-reader-using-chromebook/m-p/10... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop Express is supported in chrome os and android os.

That is linux kernel support right there

Old post, so for the sake of ALL FAIRNESS to linux,  I would like to add my share.

Maybe back in 2012 the opinions expressed in this thread might've been somewhat correct.

I've been a linux user and enthusiast  since 1998.

They've always  been, (and still are) options available.

See here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/acrobat-reader/viewing-layers-on-adobe-reader-using-chromebook/m-p/10... 

And since this other thread is locked I would like to merge it here with so those users are not left out:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/get-started/installing-adobe-cc-on-ubuntu-linux/td-p/9449583 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a chicken-and-egg problem.  The ONLY thing I still use Windows for is Adobe Creative Cloud.  Everything else I use regularly either runs on Linux or runs out of a web browser.  So I have servers running CentOS and laptops running Mint or Debian, but I have this one silly Windows box so that I can run Adobe Creative Cloud.  It's ridiculous.

If Adobe CC ran on Linux, ANY version of Linux, I'd drop Windows and never look back.  Windows is not a good operating system.  For a very long time now, its only value has been that certain software only runs on it.

Macs aren't a good alternative.  They're an overpriced, overdesigned, boutique product deliberately designed not to be upgradeable or repairable.

The world runs on Windows and Macs because, and only because, the software we need only runs on Windows and Macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for good recommendation. I was just googling for Lightroom Linux and came here. Sick of ignorance. Adobe once already burned itself by ignoring Apple users with flash and got punished. Surprised they attempt this again with Linux. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of us will disagree with most of that. Linux is great for servers but a PITA on the desktop. I'd MUCH rather have Macs than either Windows or Linux. You are entitled to choose your OS but don't bash others, and understand that choices have consequences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you would do well to actually read the article you have referenced

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Android uses a Linux kernel, but has extra libraries, a GUI, and some proprietary code. You can draw your own conclusions. I view the Android OS as a subset of the wider Linux world; therefore, I think it’s fair to include it on this list.

As of March 2018, both NetMarketShare and StatCounter agree that it controls around 70 percent of the combined smartphone and tablet market. Second is iOS with approximately 24 percent. Windows is a distant third with less than one percent.

There are an estimated 2.5 billion smartphones in the world, so we can safely assume Android is running on roughly 1.75 billion handsets. For comparison, Windows is running on an estimated 1.5 billion home computers.

Linux utterly dominates the list of the top 500 most powerful supercomputers in the world. In June 2017, 498 of the top 500 were running Linux. The only two non-Linux machines were running the Unix-based AIX"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The original posters statement is absolutely correct, your cherry picking bits of an article to try prove your incorrect assertion. True windows dominates the PC market where Adobe software is targeted but only by virtue of getting its foot in the door first

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most Android phones are cheap garbage/old versions. A fairly small percent are current high end models. Regardless, only a tiny subset of phones in use have powerful enough hardware to run Photoshop (current iPhone 11 models are similar to iPads in processing power.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're talking to someone who originally used Photoshop on a Mac G4.  I gave up on Apple when they started getting into a pi$$ing contest with Adobe on how the touch pad should work, and at the same time Apple's prices got frankly outrageous.  I could buy or build a much more powerful Windows box for less money.  I don't care about style or pretty brushed metal, or really expensive stylish looking monitors, I just want to get my work done.  But then, I had to deal with Windows.  And the really annoying thing is, Adobe Creative Cloud is the *only* thing I use Windows for.  Every other tool is either already ported to Linux (sometimes works *better* on Linux) or is a cloud based tool that works out of a browser.

I don't need Windows.  I don't need Apple.  Except for Adobe CC.  It's infuriating.  And it's about to drive me away from Adobe.  Darktable is a pretty good tool.  I'm actively considering migration.

The days of Linux being a PITA on the desktop are long past.  Linux on the desktop was a rocky experience initially, but so was Windows and so was Mac OS.  The only difference is that Linux improved more recently than those other two platforms, so everyone (and those who continue to spread FUD) still think of Linux as that horrible command line thing where nothing works.  It hasn't been true for some time.

In the meantime, Windows and OSX are high enough up on the curve that they struggle to provide new compelling features in successive releases.  And sometimes get it dreadfully wrong.  (Windows 8.)  We've reached the point where the OS doesn't really matter anymore, so there's no reason to struggle with the issues of Windows or break the bank buying Mac gear.

And yes there's "many different versions of Linux".  Let's leave for now that they tend to be binary compatible, I stipulate that Adobe could support *any* desktop version of Linux -- Ubuntu, Debian, Mint, Deepin, elementary, and their customers who want to use Linux would convert to that.  Because the distribution doesn't really matter.  I'm currently running Mint.  But I could switch to elementary in less than a day, if there were a reason to do so.

Answering another thread, it doesn't really matter what OS runs on the most machines or what the casual user feels comfortable using, because Adobe CC is not a tool for the casual user.  It's a niche product, and what's important is what their actual audience wants, not on what platform everyone else runs Solitaire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with Android as I see it is that it is generally a touch screen OS, and there isn't yet a touch interface rich enough to effectively run Lightrom or Photoshop.  Yes, I know there are versions of Lightroom and Photoshop for Android/IOS.  They are toys.  To be effective tools, someone, probably Adobe, is going to have to invent some new gestures -- think of the Minority Report interface -- and standardize on them.  There is almost certainly huge development cost to do this, and the total number of Adobe CC users doesn't warrant it.  So we're stuck with a 1980's era point-n-click interface which is unlikely to get better.

At some point, someone other than Adobe is going to take full advantage of a sophisticated touch interface for a CC-like tool set, and we can finally turn our back on KVM platforms like Windows and OSX.  But that day is still not today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"most android phones are cheap garbage/old version."  Amost certainly true.  And most Android users are not Adobe CC users, so the point is moot.  With a competent set of tools (not what they currently call Photoshop and Lightroom on Android -- those are toys) I'd fully expect needing higher end products to run them.  And that would be fine.  But more importantly, we'd need a set of gestures rich enough to use the tools effectively, and we don't currently have that.  Microsoft seemed to be going the right direction with the original Surface (now called PixelSense) but it seems to be only a movie prop now.  They don't seem interested in making it mainstream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe on Wine -- I've been down that road, and it's a red herring.  It's true that some people have gotten old versions of Photoshop running under Wine sometime in the past, and there are tales of success available on the intertubes.

You'll find that nobody has gotten the current tools running under Wine, and my understanding is that this is a deliberate move by Adobe.  They've figured out how to design the product so that it breaks under Wine.  It's just not possible.  And I'm unlikely to want to go back to Photoshop 4 just so I can run it on Mint.  The reason I originally went to CC was that certain new features of Photoshop (motion blur filter, smart object removal) and Lightroom (improved noise processing, graduated filter) didn't exist in the older versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"average people" aren't Adobe CC users.  It doesn't matter what "average people" are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darktable is a fine tool.  I have a quarter million photos in my Lightroom catalog.  Is there any way to migrate that to Darktable and preserve my collections?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is currently an effort to get a POL (play on linux) script to help install cc on linux

it worked previously but at the moment due to the cc installer using components not implemented by wine, it has stopped working but stay vigilant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and CrossOver and PlayOnMac are supporting macOS Catalina now, fixed a few things too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm amazed Linux hasn't seen more love from adobe,
If they can get it to run on the dumpster fire's that are windows and ios; Linux should be a breeze.

the only real downside I can see is the mass of distro's they may look into supporting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wouldn't/should be an issue anymore considering Linux has gone long way since manual code compiling.

Not only there are fairly uniformed debian packages, but also flatpak, snap and others that work on every linux, regardless of the distro.

I don't think that's the issue at all, but probably some exclusivity towards Microsoft on the PC, or general opinion of the Open Source users that is totally different than of commercial products (and in a good way), so maybe Photoshop and other packages wouldn't see so many paid users.

Because, this back and forth with Adobe made me learn to use open source alternatives and their workflows. I realized how incredibly advanced RawTherapee is for RAW developing (far more than LR) and how much GIMP improved in every segment and even more advanced in certain areas than PS for photo editing. I still have PS in Virtualbox, just in case my job requires it, but so far, I'm yet to use it and will probably cancel my sub.

Votes

Translate

Translate