Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop (and Windows) crashes when editing a video on my laptop

Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Since some recent updates (can't recall the last version where it still worked well), I have been having problems when trying to edit a video. Nothing too fancy, just a short video that I open and try to make some small cuts on it and add a watermark. The video stays open for a bit without me doing anything else,  and then the computer crashes. The last time a BSOD appeared with this message: 

VIDEO_DXGKRNI_FATAL_ERROR

And I have to manually turn it off with the Power button as it doesn't restart by itself. On previous crashes I haven't seen that BSOD but the computer crashed too and again, I had to manually turn it off as it was completely frozen.

After it restarts, Photoshop doesn't allow me to use the Nvidia graphics card and seems to default to the integrated intel one (in Preferences-Performance the Graphics Processor area is greyed out). I already went to the Nvidia Control Panel and added Photoshop and sniffer to use the Nvidia card, as it was suggested somewhere else.

I already installed the latest Nvidia (game) driver 466.47, Photoshop just updated to ver 22.4.1, and Windows seems to be on version 20H2. The computer is an Asus with an i7 6700HQ processor, 16 Gb of RAM, and has the integrated Intel 530 card and an Nvidia GTX 960M with 4 Gb of VRAM running at 4k. I don't have any problems with other software, nor even 3D applications like Unreal Engine, that use the card intensively.

Any help will be really appreciated, as it is really frustrating not being able to make those small edits on a small video.

Many thanks

Diego

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow the troubleshooting steps outlined in this post.

Its the fact that you have two graphics cards that may be causing the issue.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#Troubleshoot 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Kevin, and apologies for my delay to answer, I was trying different things to make it work.

I followed the troubleshooter, and at least for now the BSOD did not appear. But it freezes and I have to power it down to restart the computer. Could it be that the card (a gtx 960m with 4Gb Vram) has an average mark of only 1,049 on the chart and that causes Photoshop to freeze?

That is the only issue I can make up from the troubleshooting guide.

Thank you again for your help and apologies for the time it took me to answer back.

Diego

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The recommended minimum is 2000 Ops/Sec so that could be an issue. Have you tried installing a previous version of PS to see if the issue continues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Kevin,

Yes, it seems to be related to that, as with the Nvidia card disabled and the integrated Intel one it works without problems (although really slow).

Will try with an older version of Photoshop, as I had no problems some versions ago.

Thank you again for your help.

Diego

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines