• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop cannot save to local file server

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to Big Sur yesterday. I also upgraded PS to 22.2.

I immediately noticed that PS was no longer able to save files back to our local file server (connecting via SMB). I am logged into the file server as an admin user. I can save files to the server just fine in other programs (AI and ID). PS can save new files to the server, but opening an existing file, changing it, and then saving back to the server gives me the ever useful "program error" dialogue.

I tried downgrading PS to 22.1 and the same error occurs. Guessing it has something to do with Big Sur. PS has Full Disk Access enabled. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

See this help page. Photoshop does not support saving to a server.

"Adobe Technical Support only supports using Photoshop and Adobe Bridge on a local hard disk. It's difficult to re-create or accurately identify network- and peripheral-configuration problems."

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

This is the recommended workflow:

"Technical Support strongly recommends working in Photoshop directly on the local hard disk. To prevent data loss, save fi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a difference between OPENING files off a server and SAVING to a server. If the file is open locally and a remote save fails, you can always just save locally and copy. If your file is open remotely and the network goes down, you can lose your work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lumigraphics  schrieb:

There is a difference between OPENING files off a server and SAVING to a server. If the file is open locally and a remote save fails, you can always just save locally and copy. If your file is open remotely and the network goes down, you can lose your work.

It is much more likely that a software crash happens or the client freezes than the network going down. Network infrastructure is built to work 24/7 nonstop. Why would it go down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, please don't let these guys fool you. This is NOT the future. It clearly is a bug in Photoshop. I switched to SMB for now and that works better. At least I can save now again. Our whole internet infrastrucure is built on servers and their respective protocols. Ig what they they were reue we would not have the internet as we know it. This "discussion" is ridiculous. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed it is. You have two options here:

a) insist that it should work, and nevermind any evidence to the contrary - that's their fault, not mine.

b) take a more pragmatic and safe approach - it's my data, and I don't want to lose it.

Your choice. I made mine and I'm comfortable with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse  schrieb:

Indeed it is. You have two options here:

a) insist that it should work, and nevermind any evidence to the contrary - that's their fault, not mine.

b) take a more pragmatic and safe approach - it's my data, and I don't want to lose it.

Your choice. I made mine and I'm comfortable with that.

The point is you still have not explained WHY it is not save to save directly to server. It is slower, Ok. But spinning drives are slower than SSDs. Is it bad practice to write to conventional 5400 rpm hard drives? If I sacve to my internal disk X amount of bits are written. If I save to the server the exact same amount of bits are written. If what you said a couple of posts earlier is true and statistically every X bytes an error occurs then it is the amount written, NOT the speed. 

That being said, what is your proposed workflow. I pull the file from the server. I work on it. I save. I push the file back to the server. At this point following your logic an error is as likely to happen as when I save directly to server. So I open the file again from the server to see if the file is not corrupted. On any given day I work with hundreds of files. If I work like that I am out of business very quickly because I am doing no work but manage files the whole day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree! I ca NOT run a dept like this... saving files to local drive. To risky to have a file overwrite... or even be confifent knowing the file I pulled off thr server was update from another artists desktop. again and again.... If it worked with no issues 3 versions ago... SOMETHING WAS MISSED. stop blaming how our workflow should be. 99% of graphic companies dont work off local drives. PEROID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been involved in graphics and IT both for more than 25 years. Give it up. 99% of graphic companies know better. SMDH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Servers are a pain, but when there are a minumum of 3 designers working on the same job, it HAS to be a saved drive.

Ive been working in the industry for 17 years and never lost a file becuase the server dropped, why, becuase when it does, you save it to your desktop, server outage happens just like an internet connection drops to the cloud. The system isnt the problem, its that Adobes stock answers are always a dead end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Servers are not supported. That means if it breaks, its your problem, not Adobe's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not support working directly off a server macOS has issues with SMB, especially older Windows servers. Its... complicated and may sometimes work, sometimes not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Im reading here is that Adobe and its supporters feel an abused agency mac is safer to save on than a double backed up server with its own IT department. Cool I'll do that then?

So, here me out Adobe, this is the best user feedback you will get for a long time: there are two users of Adobe stuff, people that get payed by agencies to use them for mainly advertising in agencies that have to colloborate with the other 100 or so staff members on a shared backed up client folder on a centrilsed server.
And students, and casual users.

Listen, Very few proffesionals are going to give any feedback on adobe products, unless they have got so annoyed they have to vent, why, because they are working and dont have the time, the only people that have the time are individuals or students, and guess what, they dont use a server.

And while im on it, why the heck on the startup screen do i have to press legacy mode to remove Templates? Really Adobe, are you that confused about your users that you think Templates are anything less than weird and out of place, you start your day thinking Am I a proffosional or is my industry about to end, then you work a bit and realise oh wait, this jobs quite hard actually. Maybe you make more cash from universities than you do agencies, I dunno, but the whole purpose for the creative suite is for industry or students entering the industry. Puting templates, forcing cloud saving and not supporting fail-safe server based million pound account artwork files, well Im perplexed. 

I used to celebrate the downfall of Quark, but now i wish they would make a comeback, yikes Adobe, even Apple have realised hey got lost and brought back a usable proffesional machine again, time Adobe does the same or Affinity will take over and rightly so, you are lost guys please can somone realise this, also even students dont want to start with a template, maybe my mum doing a newsletter? 

Im missing something, Or am I? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2022 Aug 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You put it very well, Peter.

I have been using Photoshop since v. 2.5 (that's a long time ago). I have always saved over a network to a server, everywhere I've worked. And you are right that Adobe is heading down the same path Quark took to their ruin. 

What really gets me about this issue is that Adobe is trying to get everyone to save to their Cloud servers. Really!?! And what is that? It is saving over a network to a server!

If Adobe can come up with a method to reliably save and verify files saved directly to their cloud servers, they can surely do the same for local servers. It's like saying "I can broad jump 9 feet! But don't ask me to broad jump 2 feet!"

Affinity is looking better every day...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, cloud saving is entirely optional. Most of us save to local disks.

And you're all missing the point. Adobe control their own servers and their own protocol, not everyone else's servers. The reason saving over a network is not supported is not because they don't "want" to. It's because there are so many variables that are out of their control.

I really don't understand why this upsets people so much. Where I work, I deal with two servers on the organization's network. I save to a local disk system, then run backups to that system, then I copy to the servers. It's just basic precaution and I wouldn't dream of doing it otherwise. I'm the only one here who has never, ever, lost a single file in the fifteen years I've been here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid you've missed my point. I wasn't saying Adobe is forcing us to use their cloud. Of course we can save locally. I was pointing out that saving to a server is obviously possible since they encourage folks to use the cloud.

To your other point: The final destination of the file is indeed under their control; but that "network save" occurs over many other unknown intermediary networks that they don't control. 

My point stands. There is no reason Adobe can't make their software reliably save to our local network drives. Virtually every professional user works this way. It is asinine that they shirk this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have considerable experience supporting networks and end users and, well, yeahhhhhh.

Look at professional support boards (places like Spiceworks or Stack Exchange or Microsoft forums) and you'll see, for example, loads of posts about filesharing and email not working because of network problems. These are BY DESIGN networked applications and yet, here we are. Claiming that Adobe could just change the nature of networking is ignorant about real-world networks.

Reality is pretty much, it will work until it quits working. That could be never or it could be almost every day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lot's of smart people here with poor reading comprehension skills. I said nothing about Adobe "changing the nature of networking."

What they need to change is their philosophy of customer service. What we ask is not impossible. The problem could be solved, if they had the will to tackle it. They do not. 

You may object that it would be too difficult; or it would make saving a file slower; or it would make the program seem sluggish; or a host of other things. None of them have anything to do with my point.

Adobe want's us to save over a network (to their cloud service). They have made that possible. Their customers want to save over a network to their own file servers. Adobe is unwilling to do anything to make that workable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting a distinct impression that rational arguments are wasted here. It's not about "difficult" or "slower". It's about losing files. It's about random file corruption.

Read this (or don't), and then feel free to keep tempting fate:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Huge files are copied over networks of all kinds every day. "Random corruption" does happen, but there are method to evaluate whether a file has been copied faithfully and without change. If such things are possible on a regular basis, and they are, such methods can be coded and handled by the software. To say such a thing is impossible is nonsense. If Adobe's current method of saving files is not well suited to doing this, then they should use a more suitable method; or at least offer an option to do so for that huge number of professional users who need to work this way. Baldly saying it's not possible is a total copout.

By the way, "rational arguments" do not include straw men. Every response to my posts have assumed positions I have not taken and arguments I have not made.

And it is not a case of Adobe trying to make our lives miserable. It is a case of Adobe feeling untouchable and not caring if their customers are miserable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you know "the problem could be solved"? Don't you think that Adobe would do so if it was feasable? Or are they just trying to make your life miserable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines