Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 19.1.6 Scaling Stroke Layer Effect Strange Behavior

Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm running into some odd behavior I'd love some help tracking down. I have the following image:

blue-box.jpg

stroke.jpg

When I try to scale it as such:

scale.jpg

I get this:

scaled.JPG

stroke2.JPG

So. That is not what's expected. The stroke on the box didn't scale at all, despite having "scale styles" selected.

And yet, when I do this:

scaleagain.jpg

scaled-bigger.jpg

scaled-stroke.JPG

The stroke scales this time. I'm not hitting a stroke scale limit either. This second scale is bigger than the one above. In fact, I've found this behavior to be somewhat erratic. I can scale this box by changing the resolution up to about 400ppi and the stroke scales. But if I try a higher value, the stroke layer effect does not scale. I can however scale to 400ppi and then go to 600ppi and the stroke will scale both times as expected. (So a potential work around, but seemingly very strange behavior unless I'm not understanding something.)

It also doesn't seem to make sense if I were to say that it is because I scaled it by chanigng the resolution. Note above that my first scale attempt results in a pixel value of 850px wide. If I try to go in and rescale the box by just entering the value "850" into the width field, I end up with the same result as if I used 600ppi--namely that the stroke does not scale. So why does the stroke scale properly with a width value of "2300" pixels when I put that in, but not "850"? Why does a width of "200" scale my stroke properly, but "4000" does not?

Any help tracking this down would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm …

The only way I seem to be able to reproduce the issue is by

• first changing Image Size with »Resample« unchecked

• then changing Image Size with »Resample« checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking it out. Here's a Dropbox link to the PSD I am using:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvuawpcdxjj8dxo/button.psd?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can also reproduce this way:

1. File > New
  2. Enter a value for the width and height. In this example I will do 100x120, 72ppi, RGB 8 bit
  3. Create a shape. I'll select the rounded rectangle tool and draw a rectangle on the canvas. In my example I ended up with a rectangle with these values: w:77, H:102, X:12, Y:8, a corner radius of 10px, a white file and no stroke.
  4. Double-click the layer to add a style. I'm using a stroke of 2 pixels, position outside, blend normal, 100% opacity, red with fill color.
  5. Image > Image Size

Given the above, here's some results:

• Change the resolution to 620ppi: stroke scales correctly
  • Change the width to 500px: stroke scales correctly
  • Change width to 1000px: stroke scales correctly
  • Change width to 877px: stroke scales incorrectly
  • Change width to 878px: stroke scales incorrectly
  • Change height to 620px: stroke scales incorrectly
  • Change height to 900px: stroke scales correctly

I was able reproduce the above results from scratch a second time from a fresh start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can reproduce it you might want to post a Report over at

Photoshop Family

(if one does not exist already, so better do a quick search before posting).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 22, 2018 Sep 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A workaround you can try is after you do Image Size and the stroke scales incorrectly is to use Layer>Layer Style>Scale Effects.

For example, if you enter a width of 877 px, that would be 877% larger than the original 100 px, so you would enter 877 in the Scale Effects dialog. You can use Image Size Dimensions set to read Percent for the value to enter in the Scale Effects dialog.

res1.png

res-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2018 Sep 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some further investigation, as far as i can tell, this bug started in photoshop cs4.

Photoshop cs thru cs3 seem to work fine using your test.

Photoshop cs was the first photoshop version with Scale Styles in the Image Size dialog.

Prior photoshop versions did not scale layer styles when using Image Size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried on Win 10, Ps 19.1.6 with almost exactly the same result as from your testing:

• Change the resolution to 620ppi: stroke scales incorrectly
  • Change the width to 500px: stroke scales correctly
  • Change height to 900px: stroke scales correctly
  • Change height to 620px: stroke scales incorrectly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines