• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2017/Mac: type tool very slow

Participant ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the type tool and trying to change any type options using the Character and Paragraph palettes is very slow after updating to Photoshop CC 2017. These didn't help:

• resetting Photoshop's preferences
  • disabling GPU acceleration
  • Type > Font Preview Size > None

I'm using Photoshop on a MacBook Pro Late 2013, 8 GB RAM, macOS Sierra 10.12.1.

Any other troubleshooting ideas?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Howdy Jacek,

Thank you for this "silver bullet" -- I can see what you're encountering and, even better, I can tell you that we have a fix.  You should see it in the next update to Photoshop.  I'm not allowed to say when that is, but it shouldn't be too long...

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tudor,

Could you please try this step :-

• Right-Click (Windows) or control + click (Macintosh) on the Tool Preset Picker in the Tool options bar and select “Reset Tool” to reset the active tool, or “Reset All Tools” to reset all tools to their factory default settings.

ResetTool2.gif

Regards,

Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil,

Unfortunately that didn't help either.

Thank you,

Tudor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tudor, Please try all the steps mentioned here Troubleshoot fonts issues in Adobe Photoshop CC, 2015, 2014, CS6, CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all troubleshooting steps mentioned in that article but nothing helped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2017 Jun 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Have you tried updating. The latest release seems to have fixed it. For me it has at least and I'm on PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to add that I have this problem on both macOS and Windows 10, on the same computer, both operating systems being up to date. I tested it using a blank PSD file containing only an area with type set in Arial. If I select a portion of that text, the CPU usage goes up and stays up until I exit the Type tool. Once again, this happens on both macOS and Windows.

I forgot to mention my MacBook Pro has only an Intel Iris Pro 5200 graphics chip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 11, 2017 May 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Type tool doesn't work at all after latest update, 5/11/2017. Resetting the specific tool accomplishes nothing. Resetting all accomplishes nothing.@

I received Kaspersky update at same time. Have run Kaspersky quick scan. It finds nothing. Will run Full Scan, but m'thinks it's a waste of time.

Type tool setting was changed to verify tool setting is Horizontal'. Still no change.

Resetting tool to Horizontal doesn't work. Not a single character can be produced. Then after reset by Reset link, no change - still can't type.

Rig is Win 7 64 bit, AMD Athlon triple core. Rig has 8 gb of ram.

No type tool means I can't get any work done! Please treat with urgency!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The reset all tool options helped! thank you very much!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Type Tool is extremely slow.... What the hell Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there.

I have installed Photoshop CC 2017 2 days ago on a clean Windows 7. The entire suite installed great, no error, no issues. Yesterday I was trying to work on a web design ( no big file size ) and tried to add some text paragraphs. I noticed that when trying to change between the fonts I had a big lag, similar with running from an old PC. My PC is ultimate generation. I tried all  the solutions I found on internet and on this forum. Also tried to use the PS on my laptop, that`s even powerful, and runs Win 10 on it. Same issue. Seems that nothing actually helps. I deleted all fonts and added just standard fonts, desabled preview etc. No change. I just realized that using Myriad Pro works fine, but with all other fonts works bad. When changing between fonts or when selecting a paragraph, it`s very annoying. Is there a software bug, or what`s the problem with this version. I used the previsious version of PS, on the same sistem, on the same Windows, and I never had this problem in the past 9 years.

Please Adobe give us a solution otherwise it`s a waste of money.

Thanks!

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi friends,

I believe I have found a way to resolve the issue...though it's not a permanent fix.

Turn off Font Preview in Photoshop preferences

• Choose Type > Font Preview Size.

• Select None.

I found this option at:

Troubleshoot fonts issues in Adobe Photoshop CC, 2015, 2014, CS6, CS5

You'll note, you no longer have font previews, but I can live with that for now, as I know the fonts I use, and you can sort of preview them live on the text layer itself.

I will also dig through my fonts and see if I can find the one that may be corrupt or causing the issue, but I think this explains why some people are having this issue and others are not, and that it happens on both Windows and Mac.

Now, CC 2017 is flying faster than ever!  Hopefully Photoshop will read these posts and resolve this issue...as well as give us a real way to preview these fonts in the workspace with our own sample text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, disabling the font previews didn't help in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I request you to click on this link and cast your vote on this issue. Our engineering team will soon push out an update to fix this issue. Photoshop CC2017 - TypeTool Slow | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting for update fixing this unusable slow Text tool................. any information when update will be released?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to 2017 after using 2015 for so long and running great. I decided to spend my limited bandwidth this month and ugprade. I love the new version, but I experienced the same issue with font loading being extremely slow and causing Photoshop to "not respond" in my performance manager.

I had about 3,500 fonts installed on my solid state hard drive which Photoshop is installed on, and never had this issue with CC 2015 Photoshop, however, it takes about 4 seconds to edit a dynamic text layer (one you can scale) with multiple paragraphs.

Well, I just removed about 95% of my fonts and now only have about 150-200 installed on my computer and the type tool works back to normal. It seems like Photoshop is being extremely slow now because I had so many fonts installed. Users experiencing this issue might want to remove some unused fonts from their system and put them on a backup drive until needed. Sad, I know.

Before you ask, yes, I tried all recommended font solutions such as turning off font preview, clearing cache, etc. etc. etc. The new 2017 update definitely has some bugs that need to be worked out. It shouldn't take 4 seconds to type a few words of text on a 1 layer document! How this got past the testing phase is beyond me. I guess I will have to work with 100-200 fonts installed at a time until Adobe fixes their code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Character Tools are so slow in the latest Photoshop 2017 updated they are barely usable.

I'm on a Macbook corei7 with 16gb of ram so it'd not my computer.:/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2016 Nov 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same situation here, working on a recent MBP Pro 16GB. Myriad working fine, all the others are extremely slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with type tool. Some font are working normal for example: Adobe Caslon. When I use some other fonts like Futura from TypeKit or Museo Sans and most fonts from TypeKit or default, making the type tool unusable. Like choking the photoshop. Its hard to select some phrases, change formatting and other stuff. After choose some options, every changes take about couple of seconds, sometimes wheel is spinning...

I'm working on Mac Pro Tower 2012. 6 cores 3,33ghz, 48GB RAM, ATI Radeon 5770. SSD drives for system, for scratch disk and other ssd for storage. OS X Yosemite.

Of course before CC 2017 everything was working fine.

I have made such as things as:

1. Disable Font Preview - Nothing change
2. Reset tools - Nothing change
3. Check Book fonts and erase fonts with warnings - Nothing change
4. Reset Photoshop settings - Nothing change
5. Disable GPU - Nothing change
6. Clear cache - nothing change

I thinking about moving to the old version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's definitely hardware issue, not Adobe's. Your software and hardware is not configured correctly. Offficially problem doesn't exist 😉 We are users owning bad hardware, with bad configuration in Adobe's eyes 😉 CC 2017 is so perfect software that our poor hardware can't handle it.

😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just recorded the video and I'm uploading it on YouTube to pay attention of Adobe Dev team of this big issue with Type Tool. So please comment or give thumb up for this record to join forces and show the scale of the error.
Please guys if you have the same problem, support the video Big thanks !

Here is the link to view the video:

Photoshop CC2017 - Type Tool Slow - Type Tool issue - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, it's a major bug that needs to be fixed. The only solution is to use CC 2015.5.  Earlier I posted that changing the font preview fixed it. I am trying to delete or edit that post because since then, while it did help, it was only about a 50% fix. The system is more usable but still totally lagging. It's a major issue. CC 2015.5 is the only solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to add that the recent 2017.0.1 update DID NOT fix the type tool issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, upgrade nothing change in this case really dissapointed ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines