• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2017/Mac: type tool very slow

Participant ,
Nov 07, 2016 Nov 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the type tool and trying to change any type options using the Character and Paragraph palettes is very slow after updating to Photoshop CC 2017. These didn't help:

• resetting Photoshop's preferences
  • disabling GPU acceleration
  • Type > Font Preview Size > None

I'm using Photoshop on a MacBook Pro Late 2013, 8 GB RAM, macOS Sierra 10.12.1.

Any other troubleshooting ideas?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Howdy Jacek,

Thank you for this "silver bullet" -- I can see what you're encountering and, even better, I can tell you that we have a fix.  You should see it in the next update to Photoshop.  I'm not allowed to say when that is, but it shouldn't be too long...

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didnt want to switch to Sketch but this type tool issue is so retarded. Buying Sketch tonight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no fix at the moment. Maybe we can better switch to Sketch. Adobe is getting worse and worse every update... Waste of money. Other big buggs in previous versions they also did not fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting thing is that in Illustrator 2017 Type Tool is working very fast and smooth on OTF/TTF.

But there is another issue... I can open only 1 file in AI. To open second one I must close AI, then open next file...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I described Type Tool problem issue here, recorded video too:

Re: Photoshop CC 2017 Unusable slow

Type Tool is slow only when using TTF fonts. OTF working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 18, 2016 Dec 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Mac Os Sierra on VMWare , and then installed Photoshop CC 2017.0.1. And? Type tool is slow on TTF too. OTF works great...

So i think this is now Windows issue only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 20, 2016 Dec 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

STAFF,

any update here? Type Tool is still unusable...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe please provide a solution to this slow type tool problem ASAP!!! its debilitating not being able to use the type tool in Photoshop, I have also tried every troubleshooting option above, nothing works. I'm a graphic designer and I need to be able to use my type tool. PLEASE HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For now you can install PS 2015, this version works great

how install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe,

where is update which will fix that issue? 2017 and CC 2017 is still unusable...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... awesome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did someone try Photoshop CC 2017 on macOS Sierra ? But only on Apple Copmputer I don't want to hear about some kind of VMWare installation

I'm now working on Yosemite and thinking about moving to the newest OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Photoshop CC 2017.0.1 is working perfect, except for this Type Tool. When I place a large text the Type Tool/Character window becomes very slow and completely unusable. Text is hardly selectable and character settings hardly changeable. I've spend the hole day trying to fix this problem and tried everything I could find on the internet. Uninstalled all fonts, deleted and reinstalled latest videodrivers, deleted all Photoshop preferences, all kind of performance settings and tweaks, new Windows user account, killed almost every process that was running on my pc, completely deleted Photoshop and reinstalled it, different cleanups and Windows tweaks. I've really tried everything, but nothing helpt, not even a little bit ... except for one thing! And that one thing fixed it completely ... I've deleted PS 2017.0.1 and downgraded to 2015.5 and everything works fine now. I can't believe this big bug, where a lot of people suffer from, isn't killed yet. Please fix this, I can't do my job like this and I don't want to pay for an old version. Just for some extra information; I've got a great pc and work on very large files without a problem so it's not a hardware issue. I've noticed that the problem mostly occur when using TrueType fonts. And I've also noticed that when I'm clicking with the Type Tool on a text area to activate it, Photoshop is continuously using a lot CPU, even when I'm doing nothing at all. I hope the fix will be released soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same hope as you since October 2016...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem... on intel 4770k + R9 290x + 16gb ram

Windows 10 Pro, 64bit

PS CC 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with the 2015.5 version is frankly relieving. I now notice how laggy the 2017 version has become. In 2015.5 everything works much smoother, faster and more stable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2017 Jan 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're continuing to encounter this problem after having tried the steps found here ( https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop.html ), then please read back out to me so I can help trouble-shoot the problem.  It sounds like there is something going on, but we're not seeing this in-house or with our pre-release program.  I'd love to figure out the cause so we can come up with a cure.  Just respond to this thread and I can set something up.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is visible even on VMWare if you cant reproduce it...

1. Install virtual machine on default recommended settings

2. Install Windows 10 or 7

3. Install Photoshop CC 2017

4. Create text area, put  a lot lorem ipsum in it and set any TTF font (OTF are working good)

5. Try to select few sentences

Voila, Text tool is making CPU 100% usage and lagging whole computer just like here: Photoshop CC 2017 - Type Tool Slow issue - YouTube

It's ridiculous that here is almost February and after that crappy 2017 update users paying a lot of money can't use such a basic thing like Text Tool and WORK normally, because there is no fix!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Jacek,

Thank you for this "silver bullet" -- I can see what you're encountering and, even better, I can tell you that we have a fix.  You should see it in the next update to Photoshop.  I'm not allowed to say when that is, but it shouldn't be too long...

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Are you 100% sure there's a fix in the next release? Photoshop is seriously unusably slow and that will result in my switching to Sketch and abandoning Adobe products... I'm a professional that needs this basic operation to work, otherwise it's a waste of money regardless of how many features there are.

I'm on a brand new MacBook Pro with 16G RAM and the upgraded graphics card. My hardware and configurations are not a problem and I've looked at all your troubleshooting links in this thread.

Selecting a block of text sends Photoshop into the rainbow pinwheel and has delays – it's extremely slow trying to do anything with type like changing a font weight or size or anything at all.

I'm extremely disappointed and frustrated – it's better to just stay with a product that works instead of updating if such a huge bug is going to destroy my workflow.

My expectation is a positive response with a concrete plan for a fix, otherwise I'm cancelling my CC and moving to Sketch... simple as that.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

I understand that you're upset and you have good reason to be -- the tool (Photoshop) that you depend on for your work has been misbehaving and the cause is a recent update.  We believe we know the source of the problem and have a solution which will be available in the next release.

You can check to see if your problem is related to this one by going to Preferences > Type and unchecking Enable Type layer glyph alternates.  The problem should now be gone.  Similarly, the issue generally is more visible when using True Type fonts rather than Open Type fonts.

We introduced this bug while making requested improvements to the Type tool, specifically when we enhanced the capabilities of the Glyph Panel and tried to make alternate glyphs easier to find and use.  But our developers are human and sometimes make mistakes; we would never intentionally ship a buggy or sub-par quality product.

That last point is important to keep in mind -- all software is built by people and all people make mistakes, so sooner or later, if you're using software that is trying to stay modern, you're going to encounter bugs.  The team is actually quite passionate about doing the best job we can, but we're also human and working on a massive codebase.  As soon as we heard about the bug, we focused on finding a solution and it will be available to you in our next release.

Hope that helps,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and explain this issue that is clearly frustrating a few people.

Having only experienced the problem briefly I have not been affected as much as some, but I appreciate all the hard work that has gone in to, and continues t go into developing the software that we all use.

Your suggested solution helped fixed the issue for me and hopefully your answers helps others. I look forward to the update.

Regards,

David Clulow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long do we have to wait for the fix? Its February and it has not been fixed yet.......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update David and I'm hopeful that the new release will be available soon. To me it feels like a big enough bug that would warrant a bug fix release rather than bundling into a larger release that could be a while from now.

Your suggestion of unchecking the glyph wasn't the issue on my end. Mine was already unchecked.

I do appreciate that humans with solid skills and great intentions are behind the product and that not all bugs will be caught. However, I also think that the most core functionality of the product has to be protected at all cost. I'd rather have a rock solid product with fewer features than something that compromises the core functionality.  Or, once you realize and fix the bug, it should be released almost immediately to hold us over until whenever the next bigger release comes.

Thanks for the update and response,

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Jacek and Daniel,

The fix will be made available as soon as possible.  Unfortunately, even a minor update takes a couple weeks to vette.  As an employee at a publicly-traded company, I am specifically not allowed to say when a new release will come out, but I can say it will be soon and that once we located the problem and had a fix, we've been pushing it out the door on our end.

More concerning is that the problem is NOT going away if you uncheck glyph alternates.  Your issue may be different.  Let me gather some information from you about your situation and then share a little bit about the bug, in the hopes of figuring this out.

Do you have this slowdown with ALL fonts or only certain ones?  Are the fonts that give you trouble True Type fonts?  Do you have this problem with Open Type or Typekit fonts?  What about SVG fonts?  Are you making any selections when this happens?  Are you adding large amounts of text?  How many characters would you estimate (on average)?  Have you tried trashing your prefs?  Have you tried validating your font caches (instructions: Troubleshoot fonts issues in Adobe Photoshop CC, 2015, 2014, CS6, CS5 )?

Behind the curtain: the bug Jacek and others reported was a structural bug.  When you have a type layer, by default, we try to find alternate glyphs for either the selected characters or the whole layer if nothing is selected.  Normally, this is not an issue, as Open Type and Typekit fonts have plenty to choose from.  True Type fonts, however, do not, and there was no logic in there to skip these.  This has been fixed.  There were a couple of optimizations made, but the trouble was mainly tied to alternate glyphs.

Now, if you have a font with, uh, how do I say this politely, a font with a less-than-ideal structure (aka most free Internet fonts) some of the font info might be messed up and triggering odd results.  Fonts used for Arabic, Farsi/Persian, Hebrew, and Indic scripts are the most common culprits, but it also be one of those "fun" fonts like Dwarvish Runes or Klingon or 3rd party SVG or the like.  Do you have any fonts like this on your system?

Finally, are you interested and available to do a web-hosted screen-share?  Sometimes demoing a problem live reveals a tell-tale bit of data that was overlooked.  You can just reply to this thread -- if I'm in the office, I'll see it.

Thanks,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 10, 2017 Feb 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case Type Tool is terribly slow when I use TTF/SVG fonts (no mater if glyph option is checked or not - believe me I tried EVERYTHING on this forums and nothing was helpful even in 1%...). OTF are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines