• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: .ico file format support

LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what if you could save as .ico and .icl and .cur file with photoshop with advanced option like saving for web..... and have posiblity to save several version 32 bit 48x48....
and better brush and pattern gradiant manager

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 24, 2011 Jun 24, 2011
Thanks for the request.

There is a file format plug-in available now for the ico format from Telegraphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate
52 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just told you how to do this. Please read above. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The information on the above post is from 2011.  I am using the latest version of Photoshop CC.   I added the ICO file as instructed.  The "Save As" option list does not list .ico 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Than use the free website to drag and drop files that I provided you, that works. I am not a tech nor do I work for Adobe. Why don't you call adobe to help you? Please stop emailing me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would complain to Adobe about this. Make a video and post it to YouTube. Tell them that you will publically tarnish them if they don't fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Worked beautifully (after I tried everything else:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shame on Adobe that does not support ico file type.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something that, in 2020, Photoshop -- AND Illustrator! -- ought to be able to do natively. I just used [Link removed by moderator] to convert a 32x32 PNG to ICO, but why should I be forced to perform these extra steps? If a WEBSITE can do it, surely this is a simple thing to add.... And don't give me "plugin" as an answer because A) I don't use plugins, and B) the plugins that were once used for this no longer work with CC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Making icons is a fun and interesting idea, and using online file converters aren't necessarily the best choice. Ive got no idea how hard it is to save a file as a .ico file or how hard it is to make that process work however having that ability to be part of the total package would be beneficial to anybody whos looking to make an icon for a windows 10 computer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add a way to export a file with the .ico format. It is silly that I have to export a file from Photoshop as a .png image, upload it to a third party website, then download my .ico file. This would be a great feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

an ico file is not really an image and the main point is that it can have code in it which is why it dropped out of main use... I agree that opening them in Photoshop is helpful [most are vetors now so illustrator is also an option] and have a custom plug in to do that but I don't see Adobe doing it because they just don't show any interrest so far

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 03, 2020 Aug 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response! Where did you get the plugin?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to make an ico file and every time I make one a keyline box appears around it. I've made them from pngs made in both Photoshop and Illustrator and the result is always the same. The origination has a transparent background and made in the RGB colour space. Does anyone have fix or is it a setting I don't know about? I've used multiple online creators and they all do the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still Today, They Didn't add that feature.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes PLEASE. Especially when I use my work computer, this needs to be native. Understandably, for security reasons, add-ons and random websites are either forbidden or frowned upon. (Throwing in my concurrence since Adobe supposedly montiors community forums for wish lists.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to raise a feature request then the correct place is linked below which is monitored by Adobe developers (this forum is answered by volunteer users - we do not work for Adobe)

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-ico-file-format-support/5f5f44fa4b5...

As an aside, when I need to create an ico I use Microsoft Visual Studio as it is usually associated with an app I've created there.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Product engineers do not lurk in these user-to-user forums.

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

ICO is the proprietary file format for Microsoft Windows icons.  In the grand scheme of things, ICO is nothing special except to Windows.  No 3rd party plugins or websites needed.  Simply save icon as PNG.  Use Windows File Explorer to change file extension from .png to .ico if needed.  Although in most cases, PNG will work just as well. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An ico file can contain multiple image sizes and bit depths so not a straightforward png rename unless only one size is needed. When I save for use with an app I include several sizes.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a shame that Adobe still has literally no answer for favicons.

I mean, after all it's a design necessity. Looking at the workaround, would it be such a big deal to implement a "save as ico" option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to make your suggestion on the feedback site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, it's 2021 and about time that you had a save or export option for ICO files. This isn't a legacy format. It's still very much in use by every major browser, for every web site that uses an FavIcon. The PlugIns that are currently available are not approved and don't work with Photoshop. Also, I know there are ICO Convertors out there, but the quality of the output isn't great and I imagine that Adobe could do it way better.

It could be a modal or drawer that would allow you to make real-time edits to image while viewing at various sizes such as: 16x16, 32x32, 64x64, etc. That way you can could see the quality of the output as you edit it. It would be even better if it supported smart objects so they could be tweaked in vector. Then you could simply save it off instead of trying to find a 3rd party to convert a PNG.

Hopefully this can be done. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dsgngrp wrote on 6 October:

The PlugIns that are currently available are not approved and don't work with Photoshop.

Have you tried the plug-in from Telegraphics?

https://blog.udemy.com/photoshop-ico/

http://www.telegraphics.com.au/svn/icoformat/trunk/dist/README.html

Apologies for the 11-day delay in spotting your post.

Jane

Forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response. I did find and follow the instructions for installing the Telegraphics Plugin. However, when I attempted to use it, I got a warning that the Plugin source wasn't trusted by Adobe. The modal forced me to click Move to Trash and the file format was removed from the Plugins folder. Looking at the documentation the PlugIn was last tested with CS5 (maybe CS6) and doesn't seem to work with Photoshop 2021 (and Mac BigSur 11.6). So, unless the developer can be become trusted, the Telegraphic Plugin no longer seems to be a viable an option. 

The error (see attached image) was what actually prompted me to post the suggestion here. 

Dsgngrp_0-1634571595961.png

Regards,

JP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop should be able save an image in the various formats supported by the ICO file format. Why not - it has been often requested and there are no plug-ins to do this any longer?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, the telegraphics site is still up, the plugin needs to be placed in the correct folder: you need to create a folder ( if its not there already ) called "File Formats" inside of your C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop [version]\Plug-Ins\File Formats https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/install-ico-format-plugin-in-photosho...

That said, you are not the only one requesting it, remember to vote at the top of the thread...

Votes

Translate

Translate