• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC / Windows 8.1 HiDPI / Retina scaling support

Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2013 Oct 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  I am currently running the latest CC apps on a Windows 7 machine and am currently looking to upgrade my PC hardware, I have my eye on either the new Dell XPS15 with Haswell CPU/HiDPI screen (3200x1800 resolution) or the equivalent new Dell Precision m3800 when available in November with identical specs.  After testing a number Windows 8/8.1 systems over the last few days with Photoshop CC (14.1.2) It appears that Adobe has still yet to implement retina style UI scaling for any of it's CC apps for the Windows platform. They all seem to default to a predefined pixel font size. Potentially making Photoshop and other apps unusable on a 3200x1800 15.6" laptop screen if they do not scale like their Mac counterparts.  Can anyone confirm or elaborate on whether this feature exists for Adobe products on Windows yet, if it ever will or when it will become available in the near future?  Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Oct 30, 2013 Oct 30, 2013

Again, we're continuing to work with Microsoft on the scaling problems in Windows.

We, and they, recognize that the existing attempts to offer scalable UI have serious issues.

And no, we can't commit to a timeframe for a long list of reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 353 Replies 353
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes most desktop displays are around 100DPI even the new 4k displays as so large their resolution are around 140DPI. These is will still be quite readable when fonts designed for 96Dpi displays are used because the displays are sharper at 140DPI or PPI what ever term, you may prefer either is OK by me.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Aug 25, 2014 Aug 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some applications do not rely at all on the OS for their GUI rendering, and are not impacted in the same way as most others. Blender relies on OpenGL and its own GUI rendering code, which make it possible to provide an identical user experience on Linux, Windows, and Mac platforms. Blender offers a smooth seamless dpi/ppi setting in the preferences that allows all users full freedom in regards to GUI scaling. It also provides full type size control for individual headers, buttons texts, etc, as well as an option to scale individual areas of the GUI with a modifier key.

No restarting, all seamless. Incredibly flexible.

A major drawback to this, however, is that Blender's GUI looks and behaves quite differently compared to the traditional OS conventions. It looks identical across OS platforms, but at the expense of OS GUI standards.

You win some, you lose some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have reviewed this further I have found this to be an issue for at least four years now.  PATHETIC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 03, 2014 Sep 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So you haven't actually read the topic to see WHY it was an issue for so long, and why it took a lot of effort to get the OS fixed and other OS issues worked around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines