• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS4 activation/deactivation

New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was trying to deactivate my copy of Photoshop CS4 under Windows XP and install/activate it on my new Windows 10 machine.  All indications seem to be that the activation servers are no longer operating for this program.

Here's the rub: for later versions like CS5 and 6, Adobe lists activation/deactivation options for them.  For older versions like CS2 and 3, Adobe offers replacements with proof of serial number of the copy you own for replacements that don't require activation, since the activation/deactivation servers were retired.

All of this is at: Activate and deactivate Adobe products

I see nothing for CS 4.  Why?

Mike

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Well, it turns out I must be dyslexic.  For some reason, I thought I had CS 4, but when I read the program splash screen carefully after the support tech flagged my serial number as not being CS 4, it turns out it was straightup CS.  Once we straightened that out, he was able to help me from that point on.

Apologies to all and thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure about why on the activation thing, but just an FYI. You will most likely never get that copy of CS4 to work correctly on a new Windows 10 computer. Too new of an OS with too old of a software that has not been supported in a very long time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are 100% wrong (respectfully) I havve CS2 - CS6 running BETTER than the current CC versions on Win 10. The only way the legacy versions won't work (even if you have a paid valid serial) is because Adobe made the conscious decision to cheat their users who paid for a non subscription product. They will not provide valid legal users with an activation code.  It's one of the mose unethical things I've seen a company do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Things have changed a bit. See I want to Download Digitally

If CS4 is working on your copy of Windows, even as a trial, you'll need to contact customer care or reply in the thread.

You do have 30 days trial, so you can work until you get activation sorted out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2019 May 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thing, your activation code is registered with window XP on Adobe server, so please again register.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question is - do you have a "deactivate" option under the Help menu? You should have. That hasn't changed.

The reason it doesn't say anything about CS4, is that there's nothing special to say. You activate and deactivate manually from the Help menu. CS5 introduced silent background activation, which confused some customers.

Yes, CS2 & 3 activation servers are shut down, and it's possible CS4 will follow. But AFAIK it hasn't yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As others have said,  you might continue to have issues with this,  considering how old CS4 currently is.  I'm not a Windows user but its well known that CS5&6 have issues on the most recent versions of MacOS, so I can only assume that there could be a similar issue with Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Windows is generally much (much) better at supporting software over time than Mac, in my experience (as a user of both). I use CS4 on Win 10 without any issues at all other than what you would expect (like trying to open new files on old software!)

Let Biotext help turn your information into quality content. biotext.com.au

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it turns out I must be dyslexic.  For some reason, I thought I had CS 4, but when I read the program splash screen carefully after the support tech flagged my serial number as not being CS 4, it turns out it was straightup CS.  Once we straightened that out, he was able to help me from that point on.

Apologies to all and thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines