• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS6 not saving to server

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot save my .psd files to the server from photoshop, neither save or save-as. Save for web works just fine. When I try to save I get this error message:

Could not save as “X.psd” because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to ensure the file is unlocked and you have permission to access the file. If the problem persists, save the document to a different file or duplicate it in the Finder.

I know for sure that I have unlocked permissions and no one else is using the file.

I'm running Adobe Design Premium for CS6 on a retina mac book pro iOS 10.7.4

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: Photoshop does not officially support saving to servers, because there are many problems with servers and networks outside our control.

The error means that you have a permissions problem on the server, another process accessing the file on the server, or a known MacOS bug with saving files to a server (Apple is still working on it, and in CS6 we tried really hard to work around it).

Save For Web does less error checking in the area that fails on the server (we know, we just haven't gotten it updated yet).

Check the permissions on the whole server (root level downward) to make sure you have correct permissions.

Make sure no other process is accessing that folder at the time you are trying to save.

And if that doesn't solve it -- then it's probably the MacOS bug and you'll need to save locally then copy to the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why when the error occurs can you save it fine to a server using PS5??

Also, I'm wondering if a font program is somehow interferring with saving to the server as I read all the font programs currently don't work in PS6 with auto activation.

Because doing the same test in another users account using Fast Switching allows it to save to the server. That account is not using a Font program.

However, just closing all your fonts in the PS6 test doesn't allow it to save until you restart.

In any case, PS5 works fine every time.... hmmmm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On MacOS, there are known OS bugs with saving to SMB servers (which just got worse in 10.8).

This happens with Photoshop CS5 and CS6, due to a bug in an OS API used by Photoshop.

Please see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/104112...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are 10.6 clients saving to 10.6 AFP Servers.

The issues doesn't happen in PS5, except for that rare occassion when someone else in the folder where the file resides but in PS5 you can ALWAYS do a save as. In PS6, that doesn't work. There is no way to save it to the server when it happens in PS6. You have to save to the desktop.

Nothing else changed in the setups on either end, client or server, except CS6 was added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the exact same issue here.  10.6.x clients connecting to AFP server.  Only change is from CS5 to CS6 and can no longer save Photoshop files directly to the server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning off the saving of Image Previews in the File Handling preferences.  Not a Mac user myself, but it seems to me I read that can help work around the issue.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that tip Noel and bwithay88 thanks for adding that you have the same problem.

Wondering why no follow-up from Chris Cox after my reply that issue only happened when moving from CS5 to CS6?

I'll have some users test turning off saving Image Previews.... let you know results....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's very interesting that disabling Image Previews (icons) in Preferences > File Handling works around a problem which appeared with Ps CS6.

I discovered that the icons attached to Ps CS6 files are different to the icons attached to CS5.1 files (I don't have earlier versions of Ps). The CS6 icons are counter to Apple's software development guidelines. Compliant icons may somehow avoid some incorrect networking code from being run.

See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1008694?start=67 from the point shown in this image

Screen shot 2012-08-15 at 22.42.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disabling previews just makes it happen less often, it won't solve the underlying OS bug.

You get the error message more often in CS6 because CS6 added more error checking for the known OS bugs.

The CS6 icons are exactly as Apple requested them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

The CS6 icons are exactly as Apple requested them.

Apple are publicly advising developers to use application and document icons which contain a pyramid of images from 16 x 16  to 1024 x 1024 pixels, the largest size being intended for Retina displays.

You have stated in another thread that the Photoshop CS6 change from previously-compliant icons of CS5 to new less-useful and non-compliant icons is because Apple requested the change in preparation for Retina.

The request is clearly illogical, therefore there seems a high probability of a communication error between Apple and Adobe, or a mistake by someone at Apple or by someone at Adobe.

Will the icons in the next Ps update be compliant with Apple's public guidelines?

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/I...

Extract:

Provide a set of document icons in the same set of sizes you provide for your app icon. For the recommended standard- and high-resolution sizes, see Table 5-1.

As you do with your app icons, create an .icns file for your document icons. To learn more about how to create this type of file, see “Tips for Designing Icons.”

Table 5-1  App icon resource sizes

Filename

Size of canvas (in pixels)

icon_512x512@2x

1024x1024

icon_512x512

512x512

icon_256x256@2x

512x512

icon_256x256

256x256

icon_128x128@2x

256x256

icon_128x128

128x128

icon_32x32@2x

64x64

icon_32x32

32x32

icon_16x16@2x

32x32

icon_16x16

16x16

Note: PNG with an sRGB color profile is the recommended format for app icons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not what Apple told us. Again, we are doing what they requested of us.

The bugs are in MacOS 10.6 and 10.7, but somehow 10.8 made things worse.

We are investigating the problem (not just waiting for Apple to fix it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris for the information. Good to know Adobe isn't waiting for Apple to fix it and looking for other solutions to this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are these known OS bugs in 10.7 and 10.8? Client or server OS?

Adobe and Apple have to work this out. It's way too many years and now worse. At least with CS5 when it rarely happened you could do a Save As to the server.

No way you will get design firms to save locally. It won't happen on a grand scale. My clients purchased CS6 and now have reverted to using PS CS5. I can tell you Chris no matter how much Adobe says it is Apple's fault they won't accept it. They will find another solution, like not upgrading anymore or using another vendor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2012 Oct 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same issue here, though some users can save fine and others can't. There is enough hardware and software differences between us to eliminate just one OS version or hardware setup as the cause (mac 10.7 and 10.8 being used on imacs and mac pros) and enough similarities (same os and same software on the same hardware systems and some can't save and others can) to be very confusing. We are saving the files on an older Mac server (OS 10.4 on powerPC xserve) and Photoshop CS5 saved them just fine. We are all running the same font software, so I don't think that is it. I did try to turn off the image previews for a user that can't save and it didn't seem to help. Hope it can be fixed soon by someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2012 Oct 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There might be a hidden folder ".TemporaryItems" in the root of the network share. Try deleting it or giving everyone full read-write access to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done this on my server, I gave read-write access to the hidden folder .TemporaryItems and now everything is working as before

It looks like Photoshop CS6 is creating this folder, but I'm not sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 21, 2012 Nov 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an OS folder, used by the OS and applications for temporary item storage -- and it should be writable by all users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some applications, like Adobe and Microsoft Office use this folder as a temporary location when saving. If the permissions don't allow writing to this, saving in Photoshop CS6 fails. Other CS software just seems to ignore it and save directly. Even Photoshop CS6 doesn't require it if it's deleted and permissions changed to deny creation of a new one.

In this folder a subfolder corresponding to each user gets created with the user's UID appended to the folder name, for example 'folders.501'. In my opinion using this system is a poor design choice because if directory service is not used there could be conflicts when several users might have the same user ID. This was a real problem a few years back with Office 2004.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information.

Even if now my user can save Photoshop CS6 on my server after I change the permission of the root network folder ".TemporaryItems", I will give your advice a try, remove this temporary folder and see what's happen.

If somethings goes wrong I could just recreate the folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. This sounds like a great starting point to troubleshoot this problem.

Chris, can you please comment on whether or not a problem with permissions on the .TemporaryItems folder could cause the "could not save due to a program error" problem.

Can anyone say whether the .TemporaryItems folder is specific to AFP server connections or is it also used when saving via SMB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As fas as I know this only affects AFP connections, I haven't seen errors with SMB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little status of my experience:

If the folder .TemporaryItems exist in the root share network Photoshop CS6 will use it and create a folder in it like folder.xxx and you get the trouble.

I've now removed the .TemporaryItems folder.

The .TemporaryItems folder is not recreated by Photoshop CS6 or other programs and everything is working like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this. Removed the .Temporaryitems folder. Started up one of my clients Photoshop CS6. Opened a job on the server, made some quick changes and did a save as to another location. The folder recreated itself and inside is a folders.502 which is showing r/w permissions only for the user I just used CS6 on. I propogated permission from the top down to give r/w to the group as well. Perhaps this will make some difference??

Or am I better off locking the .Temporaryitems folder so nobody can use it?

Client is 10.6.8

Server is 10.6.8 afp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my users doesn't have write permission on the root network folder, so photoshop CS6 cannot recreate the .TemporaryItems folder.

I have 60+ users and no saving problems anymore for photoshop CS6 for my users after I deleted the .TemporaryItems folder.

The clients are very differents, from 10.5.x to 10.8.2

The server is 10.6.7 afp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines