• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop does not function on MacOS Catalina 10.15.1

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop doesn't function in MacOS Catalina 10.15.1 on my 2017 MacBook Pro. Clicking the layer visibility toggle doesn't affect the viewport until another action is preformed. Attempting to zoom will cause the application to crash.

I'm asking respectfully, please don't comment that Adobe has not updated their software. I am aware that Adobe may not have updated Creative Cloud applications function correctly on newer operating systems. We are now in a non-beta release of MacOS, and I'm just looking for solutions to the issue if one is available.

Finally, just to vent my frustration, I'd like to point out that it's not like Apple hasn't given developers plenty of warning about their new system requirements, so if this is indeed a compatibility issue, I'm a bit disappointed in Adobe.

Update: It was not Adobe, it was my fault. Thanks for your help everyone.

The fix I used was a terminal command to remove the Force Dark Mode attribute from the system:

$ defaults delete -g NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance

Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

I used a terminal command to completely remove the Force Dark Appearance attribute in MacOS, and that fixed the issue. The command was:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the link below for known issues with the Mac Catalina OS
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Adobe have now issued two  updated versions of Photoshop that addresses some of these - the latest being v21

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, unfortunately I've tried updating everything and nothing has worked yet, however Jeff has an interesting idea that I'll try out when I get the chance. Thanks for your quick reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of our engineers believes the issue you are seeing is related to the force darkmode command line: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macosmojave.html#CrashwithonlyDarkMenuBarandDockt...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I like to mess around with that kind of stuff so that's certainly a possibilty. I will try that and get back to you. Thank you for your prompt reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that did not seem to fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I found a comment on that article that mentioned that you need to remove the Force Dark Mode line from the system completely, not just set it to false, and it looks like that's working. Maybe this should be added to the article you sent me.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used a terminal command to completely remove the Force Dark Appearance attribute in MacOS, and that fixed the issue. The command was:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SO much. I have been racking my brain for over a month trying to fix this issue. Deleting the dark appearance attribute did the trick and I can finaly use my Macbook again for work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK great how do I do that!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever figure out how to do this???? This is very frustrating, as I cannot find a simple step by step guide to how to do this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The correct answer is above at the top of the forum. Just open the Terminal from your LaunchPad or Apps folder and paste the above line into it and press enter. That's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're having issues with the $ in terminal being replaced by zsh, supposedly you can run

/bin/sh

to simulate a BASH shell.

You might try running this then the command above, or running it followed by the command above. I haven't tried it myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Didn't work for me:( I tried it with zsh instead of $ as well as /bin/sh instead of $. 

This is what it says when I input the above line. Then I restart my computer, go to PS, and it crashes within 5 minutes. 

Am I doing something wrong? Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 1.56.25 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This particular issue only occurs if you've tried to set both light and dark mode on your Mac at the same time with a terminal command (ie have a dark menu bar but light windows).

Did it start when you tried to do this? If you didn't try to do set both light and dark modes simultaneously or mess with the force dark command, it sounds like you might have a different issue unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also try this command to switch the shell into bash for your account:

chsh -s /bin/bash

And then try running the above command. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the looks of your screenshot, it looks like you're running bash. It may just be a different unrelated issue unfortunately. You may just have to complain to Adobe repeatedly until you get someone like Jeffrey who is actually helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for all your time and help. I'll keep playing with it! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! Thank you so much. This solved all the issues I was having with Adobe. I figured it was related to this thing I did in Mojave YEARS ago, but couldn't figure out the right command. Deleting the line fixed this issue for me in Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. All of them were affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEllo, so that we understand, you had changed a setting in a previous version, using a command line, and that setting caused issues on a subsequent update of MacOs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem but the command line does not work for me, what do i need to write beforehand in terminal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe, thank you so much. Wow I've been racking my brain all day on this with nothing on Adobe's end. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2020 Feb 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this was the same problem i was facing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As soon as I try to use the Text tool, Photoshop crashes. Brand new Photoshop, brand new Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines