Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

photoshop effect question

Guru ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

i don't have the original art files for a cover. I just have the .pdf the agency sent.  i need to make a new cover in the same style and i don't know how to make the new image look like previous ones.

these are the covers from past jobs:

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 1.12.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-24 at 1.12.35 PM.png

and this is the new image they want me to use:

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 1.12.54 PM.png

how can i make the new image look in the same style as previous? i like working with mart objects and layers so everything is super editable so an approach that help me keep things super editable for changes from the client is best.

thanks

jonathan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Ah - I hadn't realised your were working in CMYK - I should have looked closer

Turn the curve the other way :

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would lay down a gradient above your illustration, draw your shapes with the rounded rectangle tool and mask on the gradient to reveal the illustration below. Let me know if I need to go more in depth. Will happily write a tutorial up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I would do.  I actually just did that for a design project not too long ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its the making the human figure look all white what i am not sure about. i did a color range selection on the black. but i did not like that. than i went back and forth on layer effects, but i i am in doubt as to how this goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan

Did the luminosity blending mode and the use of a curve not give you what you wanted? To brighten further just adjust the curve

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am not getting the desired result, i loose detail

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 3.22.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You need to bring up the black point vertically (to make it lighter) rather than sliding it to the right which will make sections darker In my first example it is around 40% up the side and in the last two 100%

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not following you. see below.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 4.06.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it because you are working of the screenshot of the photo an i have CMYK purchased image. would my color adjustment not be different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah - I hadn't realised your were working in CMYK - I should have looked closer

Turn the curve the other way :

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, its my fault, i did not  say that in my comments till later. its me. Late in the afternoon my brain becomes jello. Side effect of drinking a gallon of coffee a day.

Now it looks good. see below. i was even able to get a much better mask our of it. love it. thanks Dave.

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 8.19.55 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this document for print? Looks like your color space is in CMYK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, they will print this and the image purchased is on CMYK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jul 25, 2018 Jul 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thank you wildcat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan

Something like this:

Bottom layer a gradient fill

Next the body masked (select subject in Select and Mask worked for this) - changed to luminosity blending mode and a curve added to brighten it. Also a white stroke added in layer effects.

Next the same again but the layer moved

At the top one of your original images with a vector mask added

Hopefully that gets you started

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry sorry. yes i got everything but how to make the human figure go from what it looks like how to the way they have it.

i do have the below already going.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 2.56.48 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines