Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop files much larger than usual.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having a problem with saving PSD files to my desktop. a file that used to be 150 MB is now 350 MB or so. Is there a reason my files would suddenly be saving so large? I updated Photoshop and my computer.  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does the file contain exactly?

What are its pixel dimensions and resolution?

What are the bit depth and color mode?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are design files, many layers that need to be preserved. 300 DPI, 13"x19", 3900px x 5700px, RGB, 8bit. I have many files that are essentially the same, they just sitting saving much larger in the last week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

essentially the same

is hardly the same as »the same« …

Drollery aside have you changed the File Handling Preferences?

Also different image content compresses differently well, so the difference you described does not seem shocking to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is saving files larger than it used to, and that is my problem, for instance, if I open up a file and save it again, it will save larger than it was before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide a before and after file for testing?

What are your File Handling Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What should my file handing preferences be for keeping files smaller?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maximized Compatibility for example can increase a file’s size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish there was a more elaborate explanation for this, I have the same problem but this explanation doesnt help at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You need to give us some specifics. "Same problem" usually turns out to be not the same at all.

What are the sizes in question? What file format? Compression on/off/what setting?

File format specifications haven't changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Why does my psd file take up 62mb, although it does not have layers?

Download my file from the link

Dropbox - test.psd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the Raw Data (File > File Info).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2017 Apr 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution:
The script provided should strip the metadata in Photoshop just run the script before saving the files out. Adobe has no need to create artificial bugs.

function deleteDocumentAncestorsMetadata() {   

whatApp = String(app.name); //String version of the app name   

if(whatApp.search("Photoshop") > 0)  { //Check for photoshop specifically, or this will cause errors   

//Function Scrubs Document Ancestors from Files   

if(!documents.length) {  

alert("There are no open documents. Please open a file to run this script.");  

return;  

}   

if (ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript == undefined) ExternalObject.AdobeXMPScript = new ExternalObject("lib:AdobeXMPScript");    

var xmp = new XMPMeta( activeDocument.xmpMetadata.rawData);    

// Begone foul Document Ancestors!   

xmp.deleteProperty(XMPConst.NS_PHOTOSHOP, "DocumentAncestors");   

app.activeDocument.xmpMetadata.rawData = xmp.serialize();   

}   

}   

//Now run the function to remove the document ancestors   

deleteDocumentAncestorsMetadata();

But I could not understand the source of the problem.

The new document is created correctly. But when I copy a layer from a problem file into a new document, it also takes 62mb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has no need to create artificial bugs.

I see a problem with the statement:

• What is an »artificial bug« and what would be a »natural bug«?

And as for this particular issue itself:

• What is the complete creating/editing history of the file – was any other application involved? I not then the issue would indeed appear to be Adobe’s making but if there was then the responsibility may not (completely) lie with Adobe.

And I am in no way trying to claim Photoshop does not have bugs, but with this issue (and I have come across it myself in the past) I am not sure how exactly It arises.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, yeah, forgot a classic: User error …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t believe that this is a bug, however I can’t recreate the issue when testing in CS6 or CC2017… so there is a “valid” programming reason for why this metadata is generated and or added, however it is obviously unwanted by those that are affected by the filesize bloat!

Not sure if user error or not, there is so much metadata added by modern applications and operating systems it can be surprising what files can “say”! For example, later versions of the Mac OS store the download URL of a file downloaded using Safari as metadata in downloaded file. Potentially beneficial if one wishes to re-download the file, however potentially not what everybody may want if passing on this asset to another party.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t believe that this is a bug, however I can’t recreate the issue when testing in CS6 or CC2017… so there is a “valid” programming reason for why this metadata is generated and or added, however it is obviously unwanted by those that are affected by the filesize bloat!

I thought if one checks Photoshop > Preferences > History Log and sets it to »Metadata« one can trigger the issue, but I cannot seem to reproduce it to the same amount as the noticeably affected files show … so it may not be a user error at all.

No matter where and how the metadata gets created originally I guess it would be nice if Photoshop itself offered an default opportunity to remove it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, whether it is Photoshop (without using save for web or export which may strip out other metadata) or Bridge, there should be an easy way to remove this unwanted metadata without touching any other metadata.

I’d still like a sample image to test with ExifTool if anybody can oblige (just crop the image down if you like, it is not about the pixel content it is the metadata that is the issue), however I’ll keep trying to trigger this myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’d still like a sample image to test with ExifTool

I the file SDron linked to in post 8 not available anymore?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, that file downloads as 127kb and does not contain any DocumentAncestors metadata…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As expected, ExifTool can target and remove this metadata:

exiftool -r -XMP-photoshop:DocumentAncestors= '/mac os/path/to file/or/folder'

Or without creating a backup file:

exiftool -r -overwrite_original -XMP-photoshop:DocumentAncestors= '/mac os/path/to file/or/folder'

These commands are from the Mac, on Windows simply change the single straight quote/foot mark ' to straight double quote/inch marks " with the correct platform specific path to the file or top level folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for this, Stephen! I was experiencing the same problem with an inflated JPG image due to rubbish raw data and was able to solve it following the instructions you provided.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I belatedly realised the obvious and setup a Bridge search/smart collection and found that I too (unknowingly) had my own fair share of these potentially bloated files (using the all metadata, photoshop:DocumentAncestors) find criteria.

smart-collection.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the image bit rate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines