Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Interface is too small for my screen size

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a Photoshop CS6 edition and just started it for the first time. Sadly I can hardly see any of the elements of the user interface. The Menu bar, the Panels - everything is way too small. I have a Laptop with a high resolution screen, so probably the size of the user interface is meant to be used on a larger screen. I did change Windows 10 settings to scale up all the elements of other software I use - so all Icons and user interface elements of other software does indeed scale up, but Photoshop does not react to any changes there. Also I tried to increase the setting in the Photoshop settings (preferences/user interface/font size), but it is already set to "large" and there is no numeric value or additional options I could find. Here is a picture to compare the size of a regular window I use and the Photoshop Window - the font size seems to be about half and the elements are really hard to click.
Thanks for helping.

R4qjtI.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

You need to upgrade to Photoshop CC2015/17 as these versions have been designed to  work on hi-definition screens.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Photoshop CC then just update to the latest version and the scaling will be sorted by Photoshop based on your system settings. No need for any workarounds

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David. Some of us don’t use it often enough or professionally to want to pay a freakin subscription and it works just fine with the work around with what we already paid for.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 16, 2018 Apr 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

William -my comment was in response to Ramona1727 who asked "Does this work with CC?"

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it does not work on the shortcut, then definitely try it on the actual EXE file. It worked for me with out having to use it on the shortcut. I just reposted the original instructions. I am on Windows 10 just as an FYI.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a great solution though it didn't work for me (2021), but it turns out it's actually very easy in the new Windows: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-interface-is-too-small-for-my-screen-size/m-p/120...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you saying that the older version will not work on the newer computer screens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same problem with an even older version of Photoshop (CS4) on a higher resolution laptop monitor. (3840 X 2160). 

To get the interface to be normal-sized, change screen reslution settings to something less than maximum (e.g., 1920 X 1280), open Photoshop and see if the UI is sized at a usable level.  If it is, change screen resolution back to high settings and, in my experience, the UI remains at the usable size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Easier solution. Replying to most people since the official answer is incorrect.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-interface-is-too-small-for-my-screen-size/m-p/120...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a way to fix my DPI scalng of old Adobe apps on Win11 (maybe Win10 too)

I find the problem is primarily with earlier Adobe apps like CS6 on current OS's.

Later versions like current PS 20xx scale correctly on high res monitors.

My 27" monitor has a native resolution of 3840 x 2160.  

I suspect this works in Win10 but does, for sure, in Win11.

Steps ....

Find each app's EXE in Windows Explorer (not its shortcut).

To make that easier, Rt-Click on a shortcut like on  Taskbar.

Choose [Open File Location]

That often leads to another shortcut so repeat [Open File Location]

Once you fnd the true EXE, Rt-Click and choose [Properties]

Then select the [Compatibility] tab

Near bottom, choose [High DPI Settings]

On that panel check [X] Use this setting to fix scaling problems

At bottom of same panel also check [X] Override high DPI settings

That enables the dropdown [App/System/System Enhanced] under it.

Select [System] as the executor of the action

I find [System Enhanced] scales the fonts unevenly.

Feel free to try it.

Close [Properties].  

Open App.  Voila - should be nicely readable.

I cannot speak to Win7 or Win8.  They are long gone.

Hope that helps - Dr. Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2023 Nov 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot buddy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tashka

Many thanks. You saved my soul,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Rather late but I was having the same problems. There is an easy fix. 

1. Right click the destop icon for Photoshop CS6

2. Go to Properties

3. Go to the Compatability tab

4. Go to Change high DPI settings

5. Go to High DPI scale override and tick the box 

6. Open pop out box below that and choose System (Enhanced)

7. Click OK then Apply and OK

8. Open Photoshop

This setting will not alter the Desktop and only applies to Photoshop when it is open.

We are all getting older and at 75 I don't want to be tied to a rolling payment to Adobe. I use a Benq 3840x2160 monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a Benq 3840x2160 monitor.

By @Martyn28812452xxwr

Just so you know, what you did turns it into a 1920 x 1080 standarad HD monitor. One image pixel is now represented by four screen pixels. So that's a lot of wasted money.

What you need for a 4K monitor is to scale up the UI, but not the image. The image needs to be displayed at full screen resolution. This became possible with Photoshop CC 2014 and onwards. There is no way you can get Photoshop CS6 to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The difference between Photoshop CS6 and current versions of Photoshop is way beyond vast, so thankfully not many people are still using these pre-CC versions.  If you _are_ still using CS6, and have a 4K screen, then you should be aware that there several alternatives that are not only much more powerful than Photoshop was 10 years ago, but that some of them are completely free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2024 Feb 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a really old post, but if anyone else is having this problem and doesn't want to upgrade, here is a fix that worked for me: (taken from an old Windows8 forum)

"Navigate to where the actual application file (.exe) is, right-click it and select properties, choose the compatibility tab and select "Change high dpi settings" under the settings section, in the next window, select the checkbox that says "High DPI scaling override", and choose "System" from the drop-down. Hit ok to save the changes, and then re-open Photoshop.

I saw this answer on another website. I applied these changes to the shortcut for Photoshop that I have on my Desktop, I selected "System (Enhanced)" from the drop-down menu and it worked perfectly. Now I do not need to squint or use the magnifier or memorize location for using a menu or a tool"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please ignore my previous post. As others have commented, it's simply throwing away screen resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, what you have done is turn your expensive 4K display into an ordinary HD display. Each image pixel is now represented by four physical screen pixels.

True support for high resolution displays, introduced in CC 2014, means scaling the UI but not the image. The Photoshop image needs to be rendered at full screen resolution to take advantage of these displays.

EDIT - right. you got it. I wrote that before your second post. I'll still leave it for anyone else reading - 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found a way out. Below Solution is Windows 10, NVidia Graphic Card

1. Right Click Photoshop.exe

2. Click on Properties

3. Click  on Compatibility

4. Click on "Change High DPI settings"

5. Enable Check box  under Program DPI - Use this setting to fix scaling problems

6. Next under "Use the DPI thats set for my main display" - I open this program

7. Enable check box  Override  high DPI scaling behaviour

8.Select System enhanced

Photo attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines