• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop is extremely slow

Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ive seen other posts here regarding photoshop running slow, but here's my 2 cents worth.

The new 2020 update is just cripplingly slow. I have a really fast PC as well as the benefit of a server farm for processing and rendering.

I've switched to legacy compositing, altered the ram usage, added, removed, and added scratch disks again and I don't use my C:\ drive for any scratch disk, also switched off PSD Compression.

Opening a file takes anything from 2-5 mins, even for a small 1mb file. Dragging a file from a folder or the desktop, takes again, anything from 2-5 mins. Clicking the visibility of Layers takes ages too, click the eyeball and nothing happens for quite a while, same re-enabling the layer or resizing something with a smart filter or that's a smart object.  I cannot work this way.

The Creative Cloud App itself, is also a bloated, slow resource hog. Rebooting, the app almost always doesn't load properly, stating that it's being slow and I have to click restart. Just recently, my Libraries failed to load and I had to update the library plugin, surely, this could have been done via the million updates the CC App does, yet always has the same issues.

System Specs:

• Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
  • Intel® Coreâ„¢ i9-9900K Processor 5.3ghz
  • 64 Gig DDR5 Ram
  • 2 x nVidia 2080 Ti's (Bridged together) giving me 22Gig DDR 6 Video Ram
  • 2TB Samsung 850 EVO 2 SSD
  • 3 x Asus 4K Monitors at 3840 x 2160px

So, with these specs, why is photoshop so slow? No other CC Apps does this, only Photoshop and the CC App itself. I know it's not my PC or the build, it' has to be Photoshop because there a many, and I mean MANY posts like this one with Photoshop 2020. I hope it's fixed in the 2021 release or I'm cancelling my subscription.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2021 Apr 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. Same here. I time what item I'm going to multitask while waiting for PS to load. Same with shutting down which is a first for me and I've been using since its inception. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed on slowness.
One current [4/27/2021] Adobe update with a Win10 restart helped for a while.
Plus reading you all your information has enlightened me to think, at least I do not suffer alone.
I work on half, or less, than some of the the listed hardware you have and yet Photoshop-2021 worked great on its first time out. Slightly slower because my files have increased ginormously, but it still worked better than the CC-downlaod.
Then either features, or a major update had it so sluggish I used my backup Photoshop-2019 non-CC version. Seemed to work fine again! And I'll keep it just in case. I have not been a fan of Adobe's choice to "CC" itself: very buggy and pricey. But i have been using their drugs since the start so I don't want to go into rehab just to learn new tricks. 

Here is where I agree most with everyone: Adobe needs to put more of their resources into keeping their platform running smoothly on all the platforms they provide. If they want to keep their reputation as a cutting edge creative tool, then they need to focus on what they first invested in. I hear many people jumping ship after getting a near impossible refund.
I'd rather it just work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the exact same problem too with a custom built PC. The computer is more than capable of running this program. Photoshop ran so efficiently before these upgrades.  I can't work in it. Its counter productive. I don't understand how they have not fixed this yet. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The creative apps seem to be really buggy since they started their marketing app development, honeslty the world doesnt need another bloody salesforce.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soooo slooow for me too. Fix it Adobe. It's really hard to be efficient when it's this slow. I literally have to go do something else like wash dishes or go have a shower while I wait for it. Ugh! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS2021 is Still slow.  It takes its sweet time to start and it takes a few mins to open any file, regardless of if it is a 4K PNG or a low-resolution JPEG.  This is ridiculous (Ryzen 9 3900x, 32Gb 3200 DDR4, GTX1080).  The more I read about this the more it looks like us using Windows 10 PC's are having issues.  At my work, it runs flawlessly on their Mac's.  I also find when using the Filter Forge 9 pro plugin take forever to render out my custom filters and barely use the CPU at all.  I have been using PS to make HD texture replacements for retro video games but it is a constant uphill battle with PS2021 on my PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After the last update, PS CC2021 is now even slower!  This is ridiculous that so many of us can't properly run Photoshop on a Windows 10 PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's because they keep tinkering and changing features for the sake of it. Yesterday I tried to render video, it did not work at all ( spinning wheel for two hours ). So I used 2020 and the render took 30 seconds. Maybe Adobe has interns making the code now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, my solution was going back to a PS2019 build that worked well and
fast as a standalone, but doesn't interact with newer LR builds...
And now, the new PS2021 does not play well with anything other than updated
versions.

Updates with "New bug fixes" used to get people excited. Lately, Adobe's
had to fix and refix minor difficulties that frankly they should have had a
dedicated team test prior to release.

When I look at the legal fineprint, I know that the reason I get angry is
that I signed on as their guinea pig. They are not legally obliged to make
the fine tools they once did, though I can contact them anytime if I have a
problem -- or not.

You may be right, but I don't want to blame the interns.
I want them to thrive and turn the company around.
Perhaps even sneak into the locked & dusty office that is off limits to all
but Adobe's highest ranking.
They might even discover the first ideals that the company was built on.
Regardless of the OS, or politics behind them.

Would it snap them into action?
Possibly returning the current system into one which is more about
designing specific tools for specific graphics, design & imaging artists
and professionals. Tools to be proud of out of the gate?
Rather than the current model, which seems to just keep spitting out the
same old model with new uninspired tweaks, bells and whistles?
Doubtful.

But, I'm a romantic lab rat. I will send this on to Adobe, with the
year-long thread attached, knowing full well that the Adobe Support
Community is just another way to get the customer to do the dirty work for
them, whilst venting stress.

Hoping everyone is back up and productive soon.

PS: Thanks to the PS2019 build for "content-aware." Great tool!
I saw a rendering in AE2019 for a video, of course not as smooth as the
advert, but does anyone use this toll across platforms?
Does it work well? Just curious.
Because that was the last time I recall Adobe putting out a new working
tool.

[personal information removed as per forum guidelines]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ammendment:
Received a FAQ'ed-up version of support which basically prescribed me to uninstall, with an Adobe specific uninstaller, then reinstall it. I had done this already for two of the updates.
Once again? Apparently some fixes are in. 
My versions of LR & PS2021 are least speaking again, at least during editing!
With Camera Raw, I have yet to see.  

I hope there is a simple, lasting fix for Hoover, Tania, Farrell and all the others
who are suffering from creative tools which are clearly not as reliable as just 3 years ago.
Until then I remain skeptical. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was jesting about the intern comment.....also, I had a PS update today and the rendering now works in cc2021. I still lost two hours yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got your jest.
I get triggered easily, then my younger, more romantic side
kicks in, as usual. Then an unproductive rant ensues.

Happy to hear you are up and running again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, brigancook

I think adobe recently changed the min specs for PS too - this is one of my concerns with cloud-based software - eventually they will have a spec where you need to do a hardware upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True. And Adobe has the resources to bypass CC...
But I am hoping any evolution of hardware specs will be based on the
real-time quality of the technology out there.
I had to upgrade hardware years ago, and am willing to again, only because
the size & quality of my photo files demand it.

Camera-Raw finally accepts Sony arw. files, but only via the new PS you
mentioned.
LR can read them and I am sure could edit them too, but I still get a
notice when trying to do some extra work on LR with Camera-Raw.
Sigh.
Sounds like your rig is far better than mine,
so get to creating before it's defunct! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having extremely slow issues with the new photoshop 2021, each update seems to make it worse and worse. It was fine on the PC last summer (2020), but now at this point, it's nearly un-usable. 

I'm running a Ryzen 3950k with a Geforce RTX 2070 Super and 64gb of RAM. My system is OP for using photoshop, yet I can craft 3D models fully textured and rendered smoothly in 3DS Max and Blender with NO ISSUES at all.

This is a ripoff, what are you guys doing to your software to f*#$ it up this badly? And how long will it take to fix? I've been on support chat with them and they just scratch their heads, tossing me from tech member to tech member until they just tell me it's my computers problem, which is an absolute load of crap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2021 Jun 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if this issue is with Windows 10 PC's or if it affects Mac users too.  at my work we use iMacs and the company is only using ACS2020 as they had too many performance issues with the CS2021.

We really need this fixed.  PSCC2021 takes nearly 10mins to open a small JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is often terribly slow on my Windows 10 PC laptop. But it's inconsistent, so sometimes it works reasonably and sometimes it's a dog.

But even worse is that if Photoshop is running the other apps I usually have open, e.g. Affinity Publisher, ThumbsPlus and Microsoft ICE (Image Composit Editor) are grossly affected and sometimes almost unusable.

Potoshop seems to be hogging my system resources and doesn't seem to release them even after closure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought, how's your scratch disk set up on your laptop, even if you have loads of RAM, Photoshop will take as much as it can get ( it has always been like this ) on my aging Art Workstation (Asus P9x79,  i7 3820-3.6GHz, DDR3 32gb RAM, Nvidia 1070 8gb, dedicated 60gb SSD scratch disk ) PS runs fine and I can load up my 120x240cm @200 ppi digital paintings in around 10 seconds and there is no lag at all while digitally painting.

I am also wondering if it is a Win10 permissions issue, try installing PS outside of the protected C:\Program Files environment and see if that makes a difference, or maybe reseting PS settings might make a difference.

I find it odd that high end systems struggle with PS2021, which leans me towards some kind of configuration issue in either Win10 or PS, or a combination of both causing a slow down. This is the problem with subscription/cloud software, instead of the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' philosophy, the developers tinker with the code so people paying feel like they are paying for something new each update, which sometimes breaks the program on some set ups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS got another update and has not improved at all.  It STILL takes up to 10mins to open a small JPEG file.  This is ridiculous.  Adobe needs to fix this, but I doubt they will. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't need to edit photography, USE FIGMA. It's blissfully fast. Switching between the two I can't understand how I used Ps all of these years. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks,

i am actively looking for alternatives to photoshop and cc. i just cant handle this nonsense anymore.

photoshop has been the most reliable workhorse for decades. 

each new version brings nothing new of interest to me and makes things unusable.

lasso tool is straight up broken. cant use it. updated to the last version, nothing is better.

i am looking forward to the day where i will not be tied to adobe software. ditched autodesk and some other subscription software, adobe is the last one. their incompetency is just incredible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Erm figma is a prototyping tool, I'm not using Photoshop to mockup websites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2021 Jul 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No issues on my PC thank goodness.

How old is your computer?

I would love to see your set.  The three monitors sound intriguing.

I am running a 32" BenQ monitor and XP-Pen Artist 24 Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure if this is a direct reply to my post. i got this reply notification.

i do run on three monitors:

4k eizo, secondary dell, and cintiq on the side. powered by two 1080ti, 7700, 64gb.

cintiq is mostly off, unless painting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is badly in need of sone pruning. So much new stuff has been added that it's become bloatware.

Not that the new stuff is bad, but there's a lot of outdated stuff that needs to go.

Why do outdated, useless tools like the Magic Wand still exist?

Let's go Adobe, it's time to clean out the underbrush!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines