Exit

💡 Photoshop Newsletter - Features and Helpful Links: March 2021

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS Newsletter.jpg

 

March 2021 update

Greetings Photoshop community! I am trying something new here and would appreciate feedback as to whether you find this useful. In an effort to ensure the Photoshop community is up to date, each newsletter will contain a summary of new features as well as links to feature articles, and issue resolution.

In case you haven’t heard, Photoshop 22.3 now runs natively on Apple computers using the Apple Silicon M1 chip and shows significant performance gains. In addition, we released quite a few amazing new Photoshop features in the last few months. In the Photoshop desktop app, you can navigate to Help > What's New to see the list of newly added features in the Discover Panel.  I’ve listed short explanations and links below for some of the key features we have added since October 2020 so you can learn more about each topic and try them for yourself.  You can also check out the additional helpful links at the bottom.

Recent Features

Collaboration
Using the Invite to Edit feature, you can invite others to collaborate on Photoshop cloud documents.

Preset sync
You can now sync brushes, gradients, swatches, styles, shapes, and patterns to Creative Cloud and access them from other desktop devices.  

Custom Shape options
Shape options can now be controlled from either the Shape Properties panel or on canvas.

Camera and lens support
Check out the updated list of supported cameras and lenses.

Neural Filters

Using the Neural Filters workspace,  you can change someone's expression, age, gaze, or pose in seconds, colorize a scene quickly, smooth skin, apply artistic styles, remove JPEG compression artifacts, add blur and haze to the background, and more.

Sky Replacement

The Sky Replacement option is a great way to liven up a scene quickly. The feature automatically selects and masks the sky in your landscape image, lets you choose a different sky to show, and then adjusts your image colors to match the new sky. There are also several optional adjustment sliders to help you customize the result.

Discover Panel
The Discover panel is a terrific way to learn more about Photoshop from within the app. It provides in-app learn content as well as a powerful search function. You can find tips, tutorials, and Quick Actions to help improve your workflow and learn more about Photoshop.

Cloud document versions
With the new Version History panel, you can now access your previously saved versions of Photoshop cloud documents. 

Use Photoshop cloud documents offline
Recently opened Photoshop cloud documents can be made available offline for editing later when you don't have an internet connection.

Pattern Preview
Pattern Preview mode tiles and repeats your design so you can see how it looks as a seamless repeating pattern.

Live shapes
New on-canvas controls make resizing and adjusting shapes fast and intuitive. You can also adjust shape controls in the Properties panel.

Reset Smart Objects
Photoshop now allows you to completely reset a Smart Object to its original state.

Content-Aware Tracing Tool
The Content-Aware Tracing Tool lets you create vector paths and selections by simply hovering over the edges of your image and clicking.

Select and Mask enhancements
We added a Refine Hair feature to make it easier to select hair and fur. There are also two new edge refinement methods, Color Aware and Object Aware, and you can save and load your settings with custom Select and Mask presets.

Content-Aware Fill
You can now access the Content-Aware Fill workspace by right-clicking selections directly on the canvas.

Troubleshooting

For help with these recent issues, please visit the links below:
Program error while saving files

Photoshop freezes on launch

Known issues in Photoshop

Basic troubleshooting to fix most issues

Newsletters

Photoshop Newsletter home page

Handy links

Photoshop for Apple Silicon

Fixed issues in Photoshop

Photoshop blog posts

Photoshop tutorials

Photoshop User Guide

Download Adobe Photoshop    

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Participant ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like this a lot! Very helpful to get this newsletter here. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you found this helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a lovely idea and incredibly useful.  I used to love Jeffrey Tranberry's Crawl Space blog where he listed new features and fixes with new versions and updates.  It's all too easy to miss useful new features unless you actively look them up or they are laid out for us as in this post.

We should remind people to check out What's New under the Photoshop Help Menu which list much the same information.

image.png

I like the sync'd presets feature.  It's only a week or two since someone started a thread requesting this exact facility.  We'll have to try and find that thread to make sure he knows he can now do it.  

So thanks Pattie.  It is much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Suggestion, Trevor! I'll add it. I'm glad you find the list helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit late, but I feel the need to add that as much as I like that wee black Discover window, It does not come close to the proper web page with all its coloured images and HTML bells and whistles, but the great pity is that is that it is not easyy to find a link to that web page from inside Photoshop. (It's here BTW) You just keep getting redirected to another part of the Discover window, and while the discover window does have those tiny coloured thumbnails, it just isn't the same as using full screen.

Where Discover does have an advantage it is its interactive tutorials that use pop-ups very effectively, and I think this feature could be really helpful to new users.  In fact I am going to try and make more use of it when answering forum posts going forward (I hate that phrase but can;t help but use it a lot).

image.png

So in case you missed my hyperlink, the proper Photoshop help and What's New web page lives here:

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not know this, very useful feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Pattie-F 

Thank you for this — it's very helpful!

I have one question, though. I followed the link to "Known Issues" and it does not list most of the issues we are seeing reports of in 22.3. When can we expect these new issues to be added so we can direct folks to this page?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When can we expect these new issues to be added so we can direct folks to this page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with Jane, this needs following up. From everything I have seen so far, 22.3 is an uncharacteristically problematic release, with several genuine issues that can't be attributed to underpowered systems, poor maintenance, OS bugs, or user error. It would be a great help if we could say "known issue, being worked on" and point to that page.

Was it rushed/released prematurely for Apple Silicon support? It would seem so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Let's Love Lead«

I am not contesting that lead has many uses but is it really more lovely than other metals? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it was rushed for use on Apple Silicon ... bad try. It worked perfectly on my MacMini with M1 chip until the new release. And now, I don't have external filters/plugins anymore (Luminar, Topaz, Nik, ...) while they worked perfectly before. In Lightroom, no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

test

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As we verify issues, we will continue to update the Known Issues page with information and temporary work-arounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's cool Pattie.  It will also help the forum regulars and ACPs answer the frequent questions.  That's especially useful for those of use that use the other platform (OSX/Windows) to what the thread starter is using.

Do you have a link to the Knoiwn Issues page you referred to?  I found this one but it only covers up to 22.1.1

Known issues in Photoshop (adobe.com)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the right link, Trevor. It is also up in the post in the Issues section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very helpful. There is so much happening that it is hard to keep up, even for those of us who make it a priority. Capturing it all in one place like this is very beneficial. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you found this helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shared, I found this useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you found the information useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are very welcome.  I'm glad you found this helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Such a good resource.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome.  I'm glad you found this helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much for this... I think it's a great initiative! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines