• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop unusable - shows only a bright green work area.

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started happening last week - when I open Photoshop and attempt to open a file, I get an unusable bright green workspace. If I zoom in and out I can see my image "flicker", so I know the data is there... but the green screen doesn't go away. Below, I've opened newgeo.tif. You can see that the preview loads fine. I'm on a MacBook Pro running Big Sur.

Screen Shot 2021-05-24 at 4.16.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-24 at 4.15.53 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Try unticking in Photoshop preferences under the Performance tab Use GPU processor.

Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Hi

Go to Preferences - Technology Previews and check Deactivate Native Canvas.  Then click OK and close and restart Photoshop.

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Ado

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Try turning the GPU back on but then go to Preferences - Technology Previews and check Deactivate Native Canvas. You will need to close and restart Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Same thing happened to me.

I changed the size on my window from the top right had corner and it seem to help but I also did that what was recommended to be on the safe side

Help I have a green Screen in front of everything.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that I have uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop. No dice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try unticking in Photoshop preferences under the Performance tab Use GPU processor.

Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That definitely fixed it. Must have happened after an update of either Adobe or MacOS. Now to figure out what the problem is with the GPU...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try turning the GPU back on but then go to Preferences - Technology Previews and check Deactivate Native Canvas. You will need to close and restart Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This allowed me to still utilize the GPU. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thanks I had this problem to was driving me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!! this worked 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  You just solved my problem.  Green screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me.

I changed the size on my window from the top right had corner and it seem to help but I also did that what was recommended to be on the safe side

Help I have a green Screen in front of everything.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

solved the problem after an hour with your suggestion, before doin' anything else, try this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When starting any new photoshop document, either opening an existing image or starting from scratch,  my background is a bright green color.  regardless of image size, canvas size or resolution, My general preferences show that it should be set to transparent. The program is completely unusable, even if I paste in images from Preview or Sketch, if I use a paint brush or anything. 

I am running photoshop 22.4.1 on a Macbook pro 16 inch (2019)....

I am going to delete and reinstall photoshop. Has anyone run into this error? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to the latest version today, my photoshop showing as a green screen.

I can't do anything!

I can see my file ghost flashing if I try to change tools but can't Access anything!!!

And no one to reach today. The site does not allow for a chat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened to me as well. I have been able to work around it by switiching from standard to full screen mode. (View, Screen mode) I know this is particularly  annoying and makes no sense but I haven't found an answer either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Go to Preferences - Technology Previews and check Deactivate Native Canvas.  Then click OK and close and restart Photoshop.

Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Adobe are sensibly updating those core functions to deliver the additional speed we require to handle the very large files of today.

Checking 'Deactivate Native Canvas' switches Photoshop to use the older functions.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Just before doing that by changing the height of the window from the top the green screen popped off. I've done as you've suggested anyways so that it does not happen again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2021 Aug 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have same issuse using a new Macbook- macOS Catalina version 10.15.7. I alrady had Deactivate Native Canvas checked. I have started and restarted my computer. Still is happenng. Any other advice?

Thanks!

Shaun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Dave! All sorted now - life saver! 

Cheers

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both fixes suggested here successfully removed the green (thank you!), however a new problem: afterwards the experience of working within my PSD was too slow.  The results of any action taken was 2-3 seconds behind the mouse movement.  Frustrating.  Looking into more options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Photoshop and OS

How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?

Have you tried resetting the Photoshop preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try closing some of the windows in photoshop or open photoshop full screen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Deselecting "Deactivate Native Canvas" + restart eliminated the green, but introduced new problem: zoom and pan stutter and are unusably slow.

What is a fix for green screen that won't introduce this new problem?

Big Sur 11.5.2

Photoshop 22.4.3
Radeon 5500M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines