• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Possible for new artboard to be added below rather than above current layers?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping someone can help with this minor annoyance. I like to use artboards to organize assets like say social images. When I create a new artboard, the new artboard will always be added ABOVE the current artboard. I then have to manually move it below. I'd like to change the behavior to make the new artboard go below the current artboard. Is this possible? See image below for reference. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 9.59.26 AM.png

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

When you want to add new artboard while the other artboard is selected and you want it was added below currently selected artbord, make sure the selected artboard is collapsed (so not like on your screenshot where it's expanded). Same for selected layerSet, freely for selected layer. Then use below script:

sTT = stringIDToTypeID; (ref = new ActionReference())
.putClass(sTT('artboardSection')); (dsc = new ActionDescriptor())
.putReference(sTT('null'), ref), dsc.putBoolean(sTT('below'), true)
ds

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Yes it can be triggered automatically, but better if I tell you how to do it manually:

Save the code in belowArtboard.jsx file and copy it to 'Presets/Scripts' of your Photoshop folder. Relaunch Photoshop and from 'File / Scripts' menu select 'belowArtboard' item, but only when you have open document. Surely you can bind some shortcut to item from menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + [ (PC) / Command + [ (macOS) to move the new artboard down. The modifier plus the left bracket moves a layer or artboard down. The modifier plus the right bracket moves a layer or artboard up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that shortcut. Appreciate your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you want to add new artboard while the other artboard is selected and you want it was added below currently selected artbord, make sure the selected artboard is collapsed (so not like on your screenshot where it's expanded). Same for selected layerSet, freely for selected layer. Then use below script:

sTT = stringIDToTypeID; (ref = new ActionReference())
.putClass(sTT('artboardSection')); (dsc = new ActionDescriptor())
.putReference(sTT('null'), ref), dsc.putBoolean(sTT('below'), true)
dsc.putString(sTT('name'), 'Artboard'), executeAction(sTT('make'), dsc)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I'm not familiar with using scripts but assuming I figure this out, would I execute this from the File > Scripts menu or would it happen automatically when I create a new artboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it can be triggered automatically, but better if I tell you how to do it manually:

Save the code in belowArtboard.jsx file and copy it to 'Presets/Scripts' of your Photoshop folder. Relaunch Photoshop and from 'File / Scripts' menu select 'belowArtboard' item, but only when you have open document. Surely you can bind some shortcut to item from menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works from the File > Scripts Menu. Thanks for your help! Is there a way to relate that to the flyout layers menu option? Or assign a shortcut key to it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like said, use 'Edit / Keyboard Shortcuts', then in the File find it and assign the shortcut.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, thank you again for your help. This is super helpful to speed up my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Probably you were looking for non-scripting solution.

Anyway mark as correct all those you'll find useful 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines