• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS changing file names when opening them

Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I apologize if this has been asked and answered, when I search, I get nothing.

When I go to open a file from Photos it will have a name like DSC_3119.

When I open that file in PS, the name appears as a huge string of numbers and letters like "97D1EF45-50C9-488C-A301-74E003CAE767_1_100_o".  I run a script with image processor on the batch I have open, in order to save them to a new folder, now that they are edited.  This means when it saves, it's got a new name and it's not keeping the numerical order of the photos which means they end up out of order. 

How do I stop PS from changing the name of the file it is opening?  This is extremely frustrating and feels like it should have a simple solution.  I shoot in Raw, it that makes a difference.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

D_Fosse wrote:

...but isnt the .jpeg extension the real smoking gun here? Not the file name?

That Apple Photos sends a raw file to Photoshop as a rendered file (JPEG or TIFF) is not news. That’s how it’s always worked. Photos will send a rendered file to Photoshop if you:

• Drag the image from Apple Photos, drop in Photoshop.
  • Select the image in Apple Photos, and choose Image > Edit With > Adobe Photoshop.
  • In Photoshop, choose File > Open, select Photos from the macOS sidebar, select photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I run a script with image processor on the batch I have open, in order to save them to a new folder, now that they are edited."

Can  you post the setting you set in Image Processor script dialog. If in section 1 you selected a folder to process please include the file list in that folder.   Image processor open image files in that folder. image processor does not create images to be processed.  The first part of the name mane you posted looks  like a UUID that some automation may have generated in its processing to create a unique name for a file. That is not anything the Image processor would do. It  just add a suffix to the current document name.

The image Processor UUID is "1F9021B1-5045-42E1-AE2A-7E504FAA8D50" not the UUID in your document's  name. 

How were your files edited that process may  have created the document "97D1EF45-50C9-488C-A301-74E003CAE767_1_100_o" in your folder.

A script can not change a document name that it opens a script  can save a file with any valid name.    A opened  document object name has a read only attribute a script can only read the document object name. It can not change it.

Image processor does not have output file name options suffix will be added to current document's name to make the output file name unique.

image.png

Image Processor Pro does have output file naming options none of the option is to add a UUID.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I wasn't clear.  It has nothing to do with image processor, I only mentioned image processor because it's what I use when I'm done my editing to save the edited versions to a new folder.  This is a process I used for years back when Photoshop was better and not a cloud based subscription service. 

When I take photos with my camera, I shoot in RAW.  I then download the photos to my laptop and they have names like:
DSC_3119
DSC_3120
DSC_3121
They are in the order I took the pictures that way and it's very easy for me to retain the sequential order because of the file names.

When I open them in PS, the file names are no longer those above but rather:
97D1EF45-50C9-488C-A301-74E003CAE767_1_100_o
EDA4C2E4-5160-40A7-911C-B2F9CB077F74_1_100_o
2B48890E-4877-42E8-8879-7FD9CD0F1930_1_100_o

This never happened in the older, better versions of PS that just worked right.  PS never changed the name of the file it opened.  I need it to stop doing that because when I go to save the new versions, they no longer retain the order from the shoot.  It makes no sense and it's time consuming to then go in and try to figure out the right order.

I have looked through preferences trying to find some kind of setting that's "don't change the file names when opening the files" but there's nothing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4F118C16-A42E-4EF4-8EA2-482FF5A70D26_1_105_c.jpeg8F45962F-6B00-4B42-97E2-C9493A79B1F3_1_105_c.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are the files being opened from Photos into Photoshop and loaded into Image Processor? Are they being dragged from Photos and dropped into Photoshop, or do you select them in Photos and then choose Image > Edit With > Adobe Photoshop, or another way?

Next, it will help to understand what is really happening. It looks like the long name is not from Photoshop, but from Apple Photos itself. Like many database-oriented organizers, Apple Photos assigns a private filename to the original photo it stores inside its Photos Library (an area we typically never see as normal users). For some reason, that is the name Photoshop is getting, instead of the real file name. But if I open the same raw file from Photos into other applications, it shows the real file name. So there is still something different happening between Photos and Photoshop.

Apple-Photos-Library-Originals.jpg

The last mystery is that I originally saw the same thing as you: Opening from Photos into Photoshop using any method would show the Photos internal file name, not the original raw file name. But then, after a while, it started working correctly, and I have no explanation for this. The only theory I had was it might be because of my testing; after opening the same raw file from Photos into various different applications (Apple Preview, Apple QuickTime Player, Affinity Photo, which all showed the real file name), it suddenly started showing the correct file name in Photoshop. So maybe that’s something to try: Open the image from Photos into other applications, then come back to Photoshop and see if it works any better. Because now I can’t get it to show the Photos internal filename in Photoshop, only the right name.

If this problem persists, it might be worth filing an problem report in the Bugs section of this community.

One more thing: Your original is a raw file, but notice that the filename in Photoshop ends in .jpeg so that is what’s getting passed to Photoshop. Other applications seem to get TIFFs from Apple Photos. That’s another weird difference. If you want to preserve raw quality and raw-stage edits that get passed to Photoshop, it would be better to organize using Adobe Bridge (or Lightroom), edit using Adobe Camera Raw, and send photos from Bridge or Camera Raw to Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want it to work like my old version of Photoshop. I'm not doing
anything different to how I've always done it.

I click "File" then "Open" then "Photos" then I choose the photos. I
always have done it this way. I had Photoshop CS4 and I loved it and had
zero problems and it never changed any file names or the order my photos
were taken. At this point it is taking me 10x longer to do anything.

I don't know what else I can open the photos in, there really isn't
anything else other than Preview and I would have to save the photo
elsewhere first to open in Preview. I need it to work from the camera the
way it should or there's no point... 😞 I currently have about 100 photos
to process and I don't even want to do them because of how screwed up
they'll be since the photo order is important...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should be clear that I was not saying you should permanently go through another program like Preview. I was only hoping that it would help clear up what was going on through Photoshop.

svgjen wrote:

I click "File" then "Open" then "Photos" then I choose the photos.

OK. That helps a lot because I was not doing it that way. That’s a perfectly legitimate and convenient way to do it, although not as common because many Mac users don’t even know Photoshop can import directly from the macOS Media Library. 

I tried it that way and, unfortunately, I am getting the same problem with the filename, and I can’t figure out how to prevent it this time. It looks like there might be some problem in how Photoshop is going through the macOS Media Library to Photos. I don’t know how to fix that.

Update: I just tested this by importing from Photos in the Media sidebar of the Open command in other applications, including Affinity Photo and Preview, and guess what: They are also displaying the private Photos filename, not the real camera filename.

Because it is happening in multiple non-Adobe applications, too, I now think opening Photos images through the macOS Media Library might be broken in macOS, not necessarily in Photoshop. I am running macOS 10.15.7.

Opened-from-Photos-via-Media-Library.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.  Before I saw this, I was just messing around and I put the memory card right into my laptop then open them in Photoshop.  It makes me go through another screen first where I then have to say "select all" then "open" but it opens them with the file names and I no longer have to cry.

Because I save the RAW version of my photos, it's going to mean I have several more steps but at least I won't have to cry over it completely scattering the order of my photos. 😉  It's been a lot of frustration to finally get here so I thank you very much for taking the time!!  I really miss CS4 and will likely never forgive Apple for making it obsolete. 😉

For your info, I'm running 10.15.6 but it'll be updated tonight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use windows and copy my camera's image file from my Compact Flash cards and SD cards using a USB card reader. The Image file name on the Compact Flash Card and SD Cards are the file name I see in my windows NTFS file system Hard Disk folder I copied the file into.  Photoshop does not change the names when  Photoshop these files  unless its a Camera RAW file.  Photoshop does not support RAW files it supports image files not mosaic sensor data. So Photoshop uses  its ACR plug-in to convert the RAW File data into a Photoshop Document. This new document will be named by ACR or PS not sure which. The name will be Image Name.RAW extension. Same as the RAW file on disk its a new document it has not been saved.  Photoshop can NOT save Camera RAW file. It can only save image files. So when the new document is saved the document name will be changer to the files nane saved.  However if I open the same raw file again ACR or Photoshop will general a new document name for the new document Image Name + some suffix number. Here  I opened LO2G5037.CR2 three time in a row  on Windows 10 version 2004 and Photoshop 2020 version 21.2.3 and Through ACR 12.4.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac as well (Mojave OS), for me, Photoshop can't view "Photos" as this is a proprietary database.

From Photos, I can send one or more images into Photoshop as open documents and I see the original image name, not the internal database name.

The golden rule of databases is to work with database assets from within the database. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

svgjen is using an import workflow which, although not well known among Mac users, is legitimate and supported by Photoshop. Specifically: In Photoshop choose File > Open, and scroll the sidebar until you find the Media category. That lists the three media library types made available to Mac applications: Music, Photos, and Movies. If you select one, notice the contents of the file picker: It is not the file system. It is the standard user-facing UI for the macOS database for that media type.

Photoshop-open-from-macOS-Media-Library.jpg

It’s a really convenient way to give applications direct access to the edited versions of media from Apple Photos, Music, and iMovie, without requiring any manual export-then-import steps. (Kind of the reverse of sending them from Photos to Photoshop.) This database UI always gives your application the current version of whatever you selected.

This access to macOS media databases through the Open dialog box sidebar is available to applications (such as Photoshop) that don’t offer a direct route to the macOS Media Library in their own UIs. This method did not work in older versions of Photoshop, but it’s worked fine for several major versions now. If Photoshop did not support this, I think Photoshop would not show it in the Open dialog. There are other Adobe applications that do not show it. And in the past, at least, it worked fine. Today, that macOS API appears broken even in non-Adobe applications, as I saw in Affinity Photo. That UI is supposed to provide the real file name to any application.

Because you’re seeing the correct filename when you start from Photos, maybe that’s a workaround. Instead of using the Open dialog box sidebar import method from Photoshop, try selecting them in Photos and choose Edit > Edit with Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to me Photoshop is getting a cached preview, not the original file. IIRC this has come up many times before, and the conclusion has always been to not open through Photos, because this is what happens. You don't get the original file.

Not a Mac user, just following this out of general curiosity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beats me! 🙂 For the last 10+ years or however long, I've used CS4 and
that didn't happen. Prior I had an older version of Photoshop and a PC.
But Apple did an OS update that made CS4, and a few other apps I used all
the time, stop working. Very annoying. I don't care for Photos and much
preferred iPhoto for ease of use but Apple took that away too.

I'm sure I'll get used to doing things a new way. I may end up liking it
better even but for now it just makes me grumble. But it's better than
what was happening because that was awful and I'm glad there's a
workaround!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D_Fosse wrote:

That Apple Photos sends a raw file to Photoshop as a rendered file (JPEG or TIFF) is not news. That’s how it’s always worked. Photos will send a rendered file to Photoshop if you:

• Drag the image from Apple Photos, drop in Photoshop.
  • Select the image in Apple Photos, and choose Image > Edit With > Adobe Photoshop.
  • In Photoshop, choose File > Open, select Photos from the macOS sidebar, select photo.

The specific question svgjen is asking is why Photoshop is receiving the Photos internal filename rather than the original camera filename; that part is new and wrong, and from my testing appears to be a problem with macOS since it’s happening in non-Adobe applications too.

There is only one way I know of to take a raw file from Apple Photos and keep it raw when opened in Photoshop: In Photos, choose File > Export Unmodified Original, export to storage, open that raw file in Photoshop. Adobe Camera Raw will then open, of course.

Windows Photos is better in this area, because it can send the raw photo directly to Photoshop. View the photo, click the … menu in the corner, choose Open With, choose Adobe Photoshop, and Camera Raw opens in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried the suggestion of opening the photo I want to edit using the dialogue box (right click) and choosing PS.  It worked like a dream and kept the number assigned by my camera.  It was also considerably faster than dragging the photo over to PS.  Thank you Conrad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those who want to know more about Photoshop might like to take a look at Conrad Chavez (who posted in this thread)  book “Photoshop Classroom in. Book”.

https://www.peachpit.com/store/adobe-photoshop-classroom-in-a-book-2021-release-9780136904731

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct answer is that you must Flatten the open image in PS then save it. The RAW file name will disappear. This is still happens in PS CC2024(Beta) btw. I just went through this mess with CRW raw files. Renaming them in Windows or Bulk Rename Utility dosn't change the fact that PS opens them with the RAW file name. Even converting them to TIFFs in Image Processor didn't mitigate PS opening the renamed / reformatted file with the RAW file name. What a bunch of crap.
-PS user since PS 3.0 in a Mac II FX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines