• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PS CS3: Unable to continue because of hardware or system error. [locked]

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This thread from January 2012 has been locked by a moderator. The activation servers for CS3 have since been shut down and the answers here no longer apply. Please start a new thread for similar questions.]

photoshop cs3 stopped working. get error - unable to continue because of a hardware or system error. Sorry but the error is unrecoverable. Reloaded software - but not resolved. Any advice? Someone mentioned Settings files or profiles?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Yes, a reinstall will not affect the preferences file.

To reset preferences click to start Photoshop and IMMEDIATELY hold down the crtl +alt + shift keys.  It is a little tricky so keep trying until you get a reset window.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that doesent sound like a PS problem...

whats your System details

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This occoured in Photoshop CS3 today. All other Adobe products are functioning normaly on this system. Premiear CS3, Encore, Audition function fine. Photoshop was working fine then failedduring the evening. We have removed and reloaded Photoshop CS3 and recieve the same error. Still the remaining Products run as expected. All other Aplications on the system run normaly as well. No other indications of hardware issues are logging. There is ample memory and space available on this system.

Someone else suggested I trash my PREFS (I am not sure How I proceed in doing that - any advice on how to delete the prefs - willing to try that at this point) Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, a reinstall will not affect the preferences file.

To reset preferences click to start Photoshop and IMMEDIATELY hold down the crtl +alt + shift keys.  It is a little tricky so keep trying until you get a reset window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset of the Preferences took care of the issue. And you were correct is is tricky to get it to come up when entering the application. Took several attempts but I was succesfull. Thanks for the guidance. All is well and we are back in production. Have a great New Year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does not work any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Here is some info on the preferences: http://adobe.ly/PS_Prefs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have adobe photoshop elements 8 on a dell laptop running windows 7. I had received the same error message as the OP got a few months ago and I uninstalled and reinstalled today after I was finally able to find the serial number again. I followed the advice given above and successfully deleted the preferences but editor continues to give me the same message. What other possibilities could be causing this and how do I fix it? I dont have the money to upgrade to a newer version so I'm kinda stuck. The last thing the window says before the error message is "Initializing shared components"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, Has anyone found an answer to this yet?  My Elements 9 stopped working with the same 'unable to continue because of a hardware or system error. Sorry but the error is unrecoverable.'

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, cleared the preferences and tried running in W.7, 8 and XP compatibility,  all to no effect.

What now??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I tried the ctl alt shift. The message received was Delete the adobe photoshop settings file?

clicked yes

the message received was to have the primary scratch volume on a diff drive.

clicked ok

I get the unable to continue message.

I am using the old photoshop 6 program

Ray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing is happening to me. This came after the most recent Windows update (I really hate Microsoft) and even if I delete the Settings File it still won't run Photoshop. I'm also on version 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this problem

I find if I uninstall Photoshop 6, restart the computer, reinstall Photoshop 6, it will run until I close it down and then will not open giving the message above

I also suspect this is because of a Windows update

Is it possible to inform Microsoft of this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. crtl +alt + shift does not solve the problem any more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have got Photoshop 6 to work by right mouse clicking on Photoshop.exe and chosing compatability mode "Windows 95"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank You!!!!

That is the answer!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines