Exit

🔎 Quick Tip: Remove backgrounds with a simple click

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2QUICK TIPS format header.jpg

How to remove a background quickly

Did you know there’s a Remove Background Quick Action that removes the background from your image in one click? Head over to Photoshop and give it a try!

❶ Open an image in Photoshop 

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 12.17.28 PM.png

Open the Discover Panel

Open the Discover Panel by clicking the magnifying glass icon at the upper right of the app workspace, selecting Help > Photoshop Help from the main menu, or by typing the keyboard shortcut Cmd/Ctrl + F.

Choose the Remove Background Quick Action

Navigate to the Browse section, expand the Quick Actions list, and select Remove background.

Optional: Edit the layer mask

You should now see your image on a transparent background. If you are happy with the selection, you can skip this part.  However, if you want to bring back some areas of the image or hide other areas, you can modify the layer mask.

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 2.04.16 PM.png

• Click on the layer mask thumbnail in the Layers Panel.

Screen Shot 2021-07-12 at 2.31.36 PM.png

• Use the brush tool to paint black on any additional areas of the image that you want to hide. Then, paint white on any additional areas of the image that you wish to reveal.

Remove Background is also available for Photoshop on the iPad. Check it out:
Remove Background in Ps on iPad

Related links:

Quick action - Remove the background from your image

Discover one-click workflows and more

How to remove a background in Adobe Photoshop

Learn how to search faster with the Photoshop Discover Panel
Refine a selection in the Select And Mask workspace

Quickly select people or objects

Selection tools gallery

Mask layers

Adjust pixel selections

Photoshop User Guide

Check out other Photoshop Quick Tips

TOPICS
iPadOS , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very useful tip for achieving a transparent background. Thanks for your contribution!

---

<link removed by moderator>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But wait. There's more.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2021 Jul 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pattie.

<link removed by moderator>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have downloaded the latest Photoshop through my CC account but I'm still not seeing the enhanced properties panel despite layers being unlocked and/or duplicated. There is not even a 'quick actions' drop down menu.

Please advise as to why I might not have received the new properties panel features with my latest download. I am in particular looking for the 'remove background'quick action.

Thanks so much

Julia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julia -

Another way to get to the Quick Actions is from the Discover panel. Try any of these choice and then pick Quick Actions from the Browse section:

•  Cmd/Ctrl  F (keyboard shortcut)
  • Click the Search icon (magnifying glass) at the upper-right of the interface
  • Choose Help > Photoshop Help from the main menu bar

If you are not seeing Quick Actions in your properties panel, check to see if you are using the latest version of Photoshop. You may be using an older version that does not have this feature. Updating should fix this issue.

Once you are able to see the Quick actions section in the Properties panel, you will need to select a layer before the Remove Background Quick Action will show.

Pattie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2022 Apr 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sab kuchh edit de do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the instructions, but did not get a transparent background. I got a white background. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Could you please share your image here?
Did you follow the exact steps mentioned in the post above?

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still my photoshop 2019 is not bringing the quick actions in the properties . what should i do

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 21, 2022 Jul 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried updating the app? There have been lots of updates since 2019 with lots of cool features. Many of the features we posts about have been added in the last year or so. Check out this article on keeping Photoshop up to date.
You can see what all was added here: What's new in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2022 Oct 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very clear and useful tips for me to remove or change the image's background in Photoshop. Before, I don't know how to make the bg transparent. I always seperate the bg and the objects/people by using tools such as Lassol tool or Magic tool. The process is complicated and a little bit stupid. Thanks for your share. Very impressive. Besides, now I think removing bg is a simple work that can also be done by some online tools, such as remove.bg and bgeraser. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

❷ Ensure you are not editing a background layer

• If the image is the background layer, double click on "Background" to make it a normal pixel layer.

The demo of this feature in Photoshop has only one layer, and it's a background layer.

Gretchen27068051znf4_0-1668102248405.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you apply the Remove Background Quick Action from the Discover Panel, the layer is renamed automatically

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2023 Nov 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There needs to be a quick key to remove background.  Clicking the button when you're dealing with 1500 images takes WAY too long.  I tried to make it an action, but clicking 'remove background' doesn't record.  Plus the remove background feature is only ok, at best.  If the subject color doesn't contrast woth the background well enough, you have to clean it up manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2023 Nov 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with the Properties panel is that it is intensely context sensitive, which I am guessing would make it difficult to make provision for shortcuts.

image.png

OK, I am surprised this worked, but I was able to make an Action for Remove Background.  If you do this you can either assign a shortcut to trigger the action (I use the Function keys because their default shortcuts are redundent) or you can use Image Processor to go through a folder full of images remove the background and re-save the image. 

You'll need to save to PSD if you want to retain the transparency of course.  I always maximise compatability because some things won't work otherwise (Displace, for instance) and you never know whether you might need that later.

image.png

Image Processor is under Photoshop > File > Scripts >

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2023 Dec 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I really wish this feature wasn't so complicated and difficult to use. It took me forever to figure out that the "quick action" of "background remover" wasn't showing up on the properties panel when the layer is locked. *rolls eyes*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines