• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Reference point losing it's position when Batching

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Earlier, when I was working with Batch, I was able to select a reference point and anchor it in the desired position for every photo. For example, when transforming portraits, before starting the batch process, I would navigate to my actions, double-click on "Transform layer," select my reference point, and position it on the subject's eye. This allowed me to consistently transform from that specific point. However, now, even if I place the reference point where I want it to be, when I process with batch, the reference point ends up in a completely random location, often in the upper left corner of the photo or within the Photoshop application itself.

Please help. Is it some hidden option? It's happened overnight, I do not remeber changing any settings (but it's still an option :v) 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might very well be totally unrelated to your problem, but have you tried switching the Rulers to Percentage?

Davide Barranca - PS developer and author
www.ps-scripting.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2024 Apr 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Davide, and thank you for your response. I attempted to change it to a percentage, but the issue still persists.

Here's a video illustrating the problem. Perhaps it will provide a better understanding of my situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 18, 2024 Apr 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Miłosz5F84 ,

I've tried to replicate it on my machine (Adobe Photoshop Version: 25.6.0 20240312.r.433 2bfcbf1 arm64), see the screencast attached—I was using pixels as the units in the rulers.

It seems to work as expected: double-clicking the Action does set the reference point back where I put it while recording it. However, in the second part of the video, you see that I'm enlarging the canvas: the action uses the measurement as absolute (referring to the whole image) and not relative to the transformed layer.

This may be a problem if the pictures you're batching have different dimensions.

www.ps-scripting.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to expand the action in the recording, see below that the ref point is ~700px on the X axis and ~170px on the Y, which is exactly where it's put when running the action with the extended canvas.

Davide_Barranca_0-1713444838525.png

www.ps-scripting.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you can observe in my video, the "Position" value changes spontaneously when I try to execute this action during a Batch. Therefore, it has nothing to do with altering the resolution or size of the image. It consistently selects values near the left-upper corner of the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have seen the behaviour in your recording. Mine was meant to show that I haven't been able to replicate, and additionally that the reference point is recorded as an absolute value in the document's coordinates. 

Is your PS version different than mine? I should be running the latest release available.

www.ps-scripting.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2024 Apr 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must have changed the rulers from px to cm one day, and I didn't correlate it with this issue. Your advice to change the rulers to percentage didn't help, hence changing it to pixels solved this problem. Now my reference point stays where I put it.

Thank you for your time and replies!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 21, 2024 Apr 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to know it's been solved 🙂

So, to be clear: the ref point stays where it is supposed to be only when the rulers are set to pixels, is that right? Thanks,

www.ps-scripting.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my case it is, yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've raised this internally—can't say when or if it'll be fixed, but they're aware now 🙂

www.ps-scripting.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines