Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Removing background from multiple product shots

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

New website being completed and I have completed the somewhat boring task of photographing over 1000 bottles of wine. The website people have asked that I remove the background from the images and export them all as PNG files - is there a way to script/batch this process?

Cheers

Dan

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post sample images. 

Depending on the background it might be possible to automate (or semi-automate) the task. 

You could also check out http://remove.bg which might provide somewhat better results under certain circumstances, but at a cost. 

There are also other professional clipping services, some of which seem pretty cheap. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that reply. I have added some photos below. All the images have been taken at the same exposure etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually none uploaded. perhaps raw files not allowed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your ACR workflow preferences is set not to open RAW files as object you may be able to batch process your RAW files with the Image Processor Pro...  plugins script and have it save PNG file after using a simple Action you record. Step 1. Convert Background layer to a normal layer. Step 2. Magic wand in top left corner continuous mode high tolerance. Step 3. Edit Clear. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid the shadow (see screenshot) will make automation (Select > Subject, Magic Wand as per @JJMack â€™s advice, …) difficult and all or most of the Masks may need manual amendment. 

Screenshot 2021-02-18 at 08.18.46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select subject Invert selection clear  did this with your sample jpeg. I added a cyan layer to help you see the bottle edge and shadow

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As already suggested, tough stuff to easily automate your task. I ave tested using Automated Select Subject and using Magic Wand but none of options are giving perfect result. You can try to use blendin modes or some other techniques like Apply Image to make things easier for automated options and batch process, oterwise you will need some manual adjustment for perfect result without shadow.

Next time you will know how to shoot for batch bgr removal!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Franmkly, I hope to never have to do this again!! Once I can get this chunk of images done, I will only need to image new arrivals as they come in so far less stressful. Thanks for suggestions 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one more potential issue: A clipped image may not work great when set against all backgrounds, so if it should be unpredictable which backgrounds the customer will use it may be advisable to decontaminate the edges.

Which would add to the time-factor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Considering the quantity of images and their expected final display size likely being a thumbnail over a display image, I would look into creating an action similar to:

1) Select subject

2) Select contract: 2 or 3 px

3) Select > modify smooth: 4 or 6 px

4) Enter quickmask mode

5) Filter > noise > median: 20 to 40 px

6) Exit quickmask mode

7) Convert Background to layer

8) Apply layer mask

9) Image > trim: transparency

10) File > automate > fit image

11) Resize canvas as required

Then batch to new files without overwriting the originals. You can also use Image Processor or Image Processor Pro scripts and possibly move resizing/fit image to the script rather than the action.

Steps and values are subject to taste/result after testing on multiple samples.

Select subject takes time. If you reduce the image size first, select subject can be a bit faster which may help when batching.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Sorry for late reply! I'll be sure to test this suggestion out.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines