• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save As in an Action Does Not Change Filename on Tab

Contributor ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experimented more and can confirm there is a bug associated with an Action containing Save As. I duplicated the problem on two separate Windows 10 computers using Photoshop 2021 version 22.4.1. The purpose of writing this is to more clearly identify the problem and explain how to duplicate the problem.

Here is how to duplicate the problem. I explain that the filename in the Photoshop tab does not update to the new saved as filename, and the open recent file list is not populated. If you are an Adobe programmer or someone in the know, I speculate where to look for the cause.

1. Open any existing PSD file with Photoshop. Add an adjustment layer such as exposure and tweak it a slight amount.

2. Open the Action Panel.

Click the + icon at the bottom to create a new action. Alternately, click the Action Panel menu in upper right corner and choose New Action. Give it the name Merge Visible and Save As. Click Record.
   A. Right click your mouse on one of the layers and choose Merge Visible.
   B. From the Action Panel menu, choose Insert Menu Item. A dialog opens. Next, using your mouse go to     

Photoshop's main menu and click on File > Save As then click on the OK button.

Now stop the action recording by clicking the square icon at lower left of Action Panel.

3. Do not save the file you have open. Instead, close it and quit Photoshop.

4. You are not ready to perform the testing.

5. Create a folder 2021_06_04_TestFile somewhere on the drive where you save photos.

6. Copy a raw file from any location to this folder. Rename the file to 202100604_IMG_6179.NEF. (Use a different extension if the file was from a non-Nikon camera.)

7. With Adobe Bridge 2021, navigate to the folder, select the file, and open it in Camera Raw. Make an adjustment such as increasing or decreasing the exposure, and maybe a few other things such as increasing the clarity. At the bottom of Camera Raw, click the Open button.

8. Photoshop should open and display the file. (It may take a few seconds for Photoshop to display the file, so wait as needed.)

9. Look at the tabe in Photoshop and it should show 202100604_IMG_6179.NEF.

9. Add an adjustment layer such as Exposure and tweak it a small amount. (For the test, the image does not have to look perfect.)

10. Open the Action Panel and select the Merge Visible and Save As action by clicking on it.

11. At the bottom of the Action Panel, click on the triangle icon to execute the Action.

12. The Windows Save As dialog should appear. Navigate to the folder 2021_06_04_TestFile. The File name edit box should be pre-populated with 202100604_IMG_6179.psd. (Note the psd extension.) Edit the filename and change it to 202100604_6179_MyTestFile.psd. Next click the Save button.

13. Look at the tab in Photoshop. It still shows 202100604_IMG_6179.NEF.

Step 13 shows the error. The tab should display 202100604_6179_MyTestFile.psd, but it does not. However, if you use Windows File Explorer, you will see the file was saved as 202100604_6179_MyTestFile.psd.

My conclusion is that, Windows returned the correct renamed (or saved as) file name and Photoshop captured that returned value because Photoshop saved the file correctly. What is did not do is update the tab and it did not update the Open Recent files list.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, History, Actions, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can do that if necessary, but I have been using Photoshop for years and all the panels, toolbars, dialogs look normal and as you would expect them to look. It takes a lot of work to post the screenshots and I sincerely believe they will not tell you anything. Did you try the step-by-step procedure I provided in my original post above? If you suspect there is an abnormality in a specific panel, let me know and perhaps I can provide that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the step-by-step procedure I provided in my original post above? 

No, because before I do I would like to know what gets recorded in the History when you run the Action. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So then, you want me to attach a history file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, a screenshot including the History Panel taken after you ran the Action. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran a new test. FWIW, I used a Canon raw file instead of a Nikon, just to prove that problem is not related to file name or camera.

Attached is the history file (Photoshop Edit Log.txt), a screen capture of the History panel after executing the action History Panel.jpg), a screen capture of Photoshop after executing the action showing the tab has original raw file name (Photoshop After Running Action.jpg) and a screen capture of Bridge showing the saved as file (Bridge Showing New Saved As File.jpg). Note the left side image is the newly saved PSD file and the right side image with the blue outline is the original raw file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the feeling you like to make things a little more complicated than strictly necessary. 

But that is neither here nor there and your observation does seem to be valid. 

»9. Look at the tabe in Photoshop and it should show 202100604_IMG_6179.NEF.«

It is »202100604_IMG_6179-1« here. 

But I can reproduce that, after running the Action, the open file is not the saved file. 

So you may want to post a report on that over on 

Photoshop Family

A work-around would be recording the »Save As« instead if using »Insert Menu Item«, which seems to appear as »Save« in the Action. 

Screenshot 2021-06-05 at 17.34.00.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this because the latest version of Photoshop has added Save a Copy for when you have a layered PSD document you want to save in an unlayered format such as JPG?

(This change is because of an Apple matter and Adobe has had to change the Save system and has applied the change to the Windows version as well to keep the versions synchronised.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I do save as an unlayered file simply to save disk space, but I save as a PSD file. I do Save As JPEG in a separate and unrelated action.

Yes, I believe Adobe could have had two separate bits of code to do the saving, one for a Mac and one for a PC since they already know which platform the code is running on. I suspect they were somehow attempting to keep the same code regardless of the platform, but I do not know for sure. I also suspect their QC people did not test Save As in in action, but again, I do not know since I was not there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Save As PSD is not save a copy its saving the saving of the  original new layered  file.  When a new RAW file is opened from the bridge into ACR and ACR  open  the RAW conversion as smart  object layer or a Background layer and  the user  add layers  even may merge the into merging into a single layer when the user uses Save As to save their original PSD  file Save As does not update the current document correctly.    Opening the same Raw file from   Photoshop menu File>Open will use ACR to convert the raw image  the user can the add layer etc and use Save As and Save As will update the current document correctly.  It  a Bug I have reported it on Adobe Feedback site.

I told him he  should report it to Adobe in his other thread.  Instead he opened this thread with a different title. Here is his other thread.  So I reported it., 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/save-as-does-not-change-filename-on-tab/m-p/12091528#M55038... 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack, I opened a new item because I changed the title to indicate it is a problem executing an action.

Also, please see above where I attached files to request from c.pfaffenbichler. I ran the test with a Canon raw file, and the same behavior results. There is no difference based on camera manufacturer or their raw files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the save as need the be in and action however the document must be opened  using the Bridge.  The Save  AS action does not fail if you open the document using Photoshop file open.  It a Bug you should report to Add to the problem I started  for you add to that Save as must be done by an action to a document opened from the  bridge.

I also open bug report before that one a bug in Save a Copy in an action overwrites without a confirmation request. it does not protect

I can not fine the bug report I submitted so please open on  https://feedback.photoshop.com/ 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack, I do not know how to report a bug. I thought I was by posting the subject of this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I included the link to the current Photoshop Bug Report site in my previous post. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I visited that page, but missed the link to post a problem. I just posted the problem there. Thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2021 Jun 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As mentioned the work-atound is to record the Save As-step instead of using Insert Menu Item. 

Then check the »Toggle dialog on/off«-button. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines