• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to CC 2019, I am not longer able to scale images evenly simply by holding shift.

I went to keyboard shortcuts and found a "scale" shortcut that was unassigned, so i assigned it to "S" as it simply wouldn't let me assign shift:

Capture.JPG

Now it seems to only want to scale evenly and won't let me scale however I want simply by dragging the corner of the image. Sometimes it doesn't go evenly when I transform with Ctrl+T and scales evenly after I press S, but wont let me go back to scaling unevenly.

Any Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Participant , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Proportional scaling (without holding Shift) is now a default. Holding Shift while scaling now behaves in precisely the opposite manner, despite decades of precedent and the fact that every other application uses Shift-drag for proportional scaling.

Why? Who knows. This is easily one of the most unnecessary and counterintuitive changes Adobe has ever made.

Details and instructions for how to disable it are at the link below.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Lots of people reporting this as a bug but it's a new feature. The behaviour in previous versions has now been reversed. Default is now proportional (constrain) - no Shift required. Shift for non-proportional.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

It can be disabled if required (refer "New and enhanced..." link above - steps from that link reproduced below).

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default be

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

It's a new feature. The old behaviour has been reversed. Default = proportional (constrain). Shift for non-proportional. Few people see any logic in this change.

Plenty of forum posts on this

CC20 transform tool: Shift doesn't keep Aspect ratio

The new behaviour can be disabled.

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text belo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 479 Replies 479
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woah no way! This is amazing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a good change, but I agree with Patrick: It needs to be consistent across the board. Isn't that obvious?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is NOT a good change. This is an arbitrary change that follows no conventions across the spectrum of adobe products and conventions across all must M$ programs. I love the OPTION to change it, but with that comes the option to change it back. And they made this aribtrary change with NO option to easily change it. LAME!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agree! What's so hard about having a check box to allow the user to decide how she/he wants scaling to be performed? -- with or without modifier keys. Currently, there are over 140 options in Photoshop Preferences. Why not add in one more (for a behavior that you broke).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like a reasonable update so far. Some changes to get used to (or disable) but some interesting new features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had three hangs where Photoshop has stopped responding and I had to terminate it with the task manager and have issues with the new frame feature where images are not scaled by the feature to fill the frame.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone's mileage may vary, JJMack. Lots of people having no issues so far. Happily I'm one of them. Time will tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that the new method is counter-intuitive. SHIFT is universally used to CONSTRAIN (no?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

timf30635073  wrote

I agree that the new method is counter-intuitive. SHIFT is universally used to CONSTRAIN (no?)

Is anything actually universal?  I would just like operation of tools in Photoshop be consistent I do not need universal.  That will not happen in my lifetime.   Perhaps when all speak the same language and communication is perfect universal may be possible.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

timf30635073  wrote

No. Some applications use the more-sensible Ctrl, to control (constrain) resizing.

While I like the change to the default when resizing from a corner, it should not apply when resizing from edges; and I agree with the complaints here: All of the resizing should work the same way throughout the application.

What is going on at Adobe that results in such shoddy attention to detail? MAKE BEHAVIOR CONSISTENT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's that UNIVERSAL that is the key. Why change (only partially) a convention that has been around for decades across most applications and both major platforms? I don't buy the thin excuse that it's to accommodate mobile devices. I use Photoshop Express on my iPad Pro and it's nothing like the interface on my Mac, nor would I expect it to be. A four-door sedan and a motorcycle will both get you places, but driving each involves a distinct set of operations. Hey Adobe, why not do something useful and provide a keyboard shortcut for "Delete the selected master photo from disk, or just remove it from Lightroom?" in Lightroom? Pressing the "D" key in Photoshop works, but not in Lightroom. Again, one wonders if anyone at Adobe talks to anyone else at Adobe. What makes this so troubling is that Adobe has ACED interface design in so many ways. How they have failed so badly recently is a real head-scratcher. Let's give the name of the new cloud-based Lightroom the same name as the EXISTING program and rename the extant application. B-A-C-K-W-A-R-D-S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I agree. I rarely have issue with Adobe but this they got to fix this issue they created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so illogical. There's a "lock proportion" button at the top that enabled this feature as you needed it and now you can't turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2019 Jan 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you jthornton42, holding shift after using the free transform tool worked perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the Shift tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm starting to think that Adobe developers/designers are sitting in their offices with nothing to do, so they're coming up with hair-brained ideas like this one to absolutely f#@& with users. Why on earth would you take a simple thing that has been around since the beginning of time and flip it? Is this the upside down? I think too much dark matter has entered our world.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s not far-fetched. I know a guy who is a project manager for a large building developer. He has a job for a couple of years, the building’s finished, and he is out of work, at least until he’s picked up for another building. Software development isn’t completely dissimilar. Your team writes a great application, it works wonders. Except for enhancements (this was not one of those), and they may be many or few, some programmers may find themselves with little to do to justify their paychecks. And, the idea of wrecking the desktop app to ‘conform’ to an upgrade to the mobile app is idiotic. They are two very different platforms so they need two different approaches. One size does NOT fit all. A dark matter indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AGREE , ADOBE PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN WORKING FOR EVER !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An option to change to the Legacy Free Transform has been added to version 20.0.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! So happy adobe have added this -- My heart sank a bit after PS updated this morning, and my PSconfig file was still there -- at first I thought they'd overridden it or something...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How long this update is up? Was that silently added or loudly announced officially since so awaited for long?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure I just got notification this morning about a new update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a new feature. The old behaviour has been reversed. Default = proportional (constrain). Shift for non-proportional. Few people see any logic in this change.

Plenty of forum posts on this

CC20 transform tool: Shift doesn't keep Aspect ratio

The new behaviour can be disabled.

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).
  2. Type the text below in the text file:

TransformProportionalScale 0

3. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder:
    • Windows: [Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings\
    • macOS: //Users/[User Name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This path does not exist on my Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines